Are imod ipods really that amazing?
Jul 31, 2010 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ExpatinJapan

Headphoneus Supremus
There seems to be quite a few imod ipods turning up lately in the for sale trading section, I am quite tempted to purchase one because I have read many good things about them.

Ideally attending a meet and being able to try or sample the sound of one first would be an ideal- so i could take one for a test drive, but I don`t know anyone who owns one.

For those that have sampled an imod, is it really that brilliant?, like `night and day` have been the general comments.

Is there another player that has a similar sound to the imod ipod?.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 32
To me, there is a significant difference. I can't make a judgment on how you'll feel about it. You could always resell the imod if you are disappointed. It's only worth it if you go loss-less IMHO.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 32
I've heard quite a few comments saying yes it is night and day and other saying they were actually disappointed and it wasn't as good as they would have though.
The idea of having to use an external amp really doesn't appeal to me at all for portable use, I don't think it's ever worth it.
The reason so many are coming up in the FS section is finally there are some better alternatives.
For example the HiFiMan HM-801 and it's little brother the 602. Sure these don't offer the big capacities of the iMods/DIYMods but that is not what they are about. They are purely designed for SQ.
The ease of having an all in one unit as well as better SQ is the main reason many users are moving to the 801 as opposed to their iMod set up.

If you want the best sounding large capacity player the only real option is the iMod but if you want the best sounding you have to look at the 801 (and maybe the 602).

Keep in mind these are just my opinions based largely on what I've read and quickly auditioned.
Personally I'd never consider an iMod but that's because I would never lug all that around just for portable use. An iPod 5.5g sure, but not an iMod.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 32
It's better than unmodded version,everything more forward and fined. However it also comes out more aggressive and imbalances.sound imo. T51 is about same level as mod. Hm602 and ld dpi will be releasing in not far future, I would wait for either of them, there are few secd hand imods for sale as well if u really want one.

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 32
I am very tempted to buy an imod right now with the many on sale in the trading section and to pair it with a mustang-p51 amp, I just wish I could test drive them out first.

Any headfi members living in Tokyo wanna meet up for a casual meet? Anyone in Tokyo have the fabled imod?

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 32
I'm of the mind that if you're going to spend the kind of money you would have to on an iMod, you're better off going with one of the HiFiman players, if you're willing to accept the SD card/battery life limitations.  You're going to get, imho, better sound quality for your money.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
I'm of the mind that if you're going to spend the kind of money you would have to on an iMod, you're better off going with one of the HiFiman players, if you're willing to accept the SD card/battery life limitations.  You're going to get, imho, better sound quality for your money.

Have you heard both the HiFiman and the Imod?
RC

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
Have you heard both the HiFiman and the Imod?
RC

I own an HM-801, and my brother has an iMod, which I've heard paired with the TTJV slim primarily (an excellent portable headphone amp for all intents and purposes).  It sounds really fantastic, but not quite as good as the HM-801.  The HM-801 has more presence, detail, a little bit wider soundstage.  Tone is different, not better per se.  It's more controlled, neutral on average of a sound, the iMod has a very lush, slightly warmer feel, with very good LF extension.  I am a detail person, so I much prefer the HM-801 palate.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 32
As I see it, basically the benefits of each are as follows

iMod: Better ui, more storage, lots of amp flexibility (the lineout is as good from the HiFiman, but you really wouldn't ever want to use a portable amp given how good the modular ones are, unless of course you want to drive something like a HD-800, in which case, there are problems a plenty with this scenario to begin with lol)

HiFiman: Better SQ (in my opinion; as I noted before, I find the HiFiman sound to be much more detailed and controlled, not nearly as lush or warm per se), better components (that's just a statement of fact...1704 chips and now opa2107 opamps?  Yea, going to beat anything in the iMod), single piece to worry about (no LOD, no separate amp, etc, just one beefy piece of hifi goodness).  In my mind the last point is actually quite important.  Plus once you factor in the cost of a good portable amp and good quality LOD, the iMod is going to be more expensive. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 32
Thank you.
L3000.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 32
@ Dev Avidon, thanks for the great feedback. So far I have only heard my Diymod,
RC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back