Are high price IEM's even worth it anymore? Where's their place now?
Mar 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
Just got the MusicMaker Shockwave 3 for $150 used here on the forums and...man...I just no longer see the relevance of spending $200-500+ on IEM's anymore. I've owned a lot of higher-end IEM's (and have heard many more) and even for their new price of ~$230 these Shockwaves easily match if not best every area of the higher end IEM's that I've owned. 

I just wanted to have a discussion about this wave of cheap high-end audio. What are your thoughts? Have high-end in-ears lost their use among the community due to much cheaper alternatives that sound and look as good?

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 20
I definitely think there is a place for high(er) priced iems, if you can afford them and appreciate whatever additional sound or appearance qualities they offer. However, I, too, have found that some more reasonably priced iems sound as good, if not better, to me than some of the more expensive models I own/have owned. In specific, I am very impressed with the iBasso IT03, which cost less than half of my most expensive pairs, and I enjoy them just as much. As the market and technology get more competitive, I think there will be an increasing selection of really great sounding, and more economically priced iems. Not that it is likely, but that may force some other producers to re-think some of their pricing strategies. I expect to purchase a pair of the Rose Cappuccino MKII iems in the very near future which, again, are priced at about half of some of my other models. Good time to be a buyer, I think.

Ryan

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 20
I just think it's more of status than anything. Not saying many are not great sounding as I am sure there is some that just knocks your socks off when listening to them. Just think technology has cought up.

I have no problem if people wants to blow 500+ on buds and cans. If it makes them happy then that's what it's all about being happy.

I got my Shure 215 because my son's cat loves to chew cords and it's cheaper to have the cords disconnect from the buds for $30 instead of blowing 100 bucks or more on a new set of buds. To me the 215 sounds the same as my Klipsch and B&O buds. I would love to hear what a really expensive pair of cans and buds sounds like. Likely that will never happen lol

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 20
I just think it's more of status than anything.

Perhaps for some, but it depends on what the music is for. When you listen to music attentively the difference becomes much more relevant. Expensive IEMs retrieve more detail, have more control and produce a more realistic sound. These things are easy to miss unless you look for them. For me it was absolutely justifiable to replace my Sony A15 and Shure se215 with my AK70 and custom Ei.3 IEMs. That was a huge investment I never thought I would make, but because I use music for specific reasons and because I listen eight or more hours a day, it made perfect sense. I get something back from my investment.

That said, I can also see sense in people simply loving the technological aspect of it and the fun of chasing "ultimate sound quality" (however they define that). It's a hobby much like running a marathon and wanting to get the best possible time. For most people there is nothing other they get out of it than the fun of having a challenge. There doesn't have to be a deeper meaning, fun is a goal in and of itself.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 20
High priced earphones will always have a place. The market for them has exploded in the last few years. When I first owned the se846 there were very few that was at the 1k price range and now it seems that there are way too many to make a purchase decision.

As far as quality goes the $200 or so price range is where I consider the sweet spot where you are getting a very good earphone at a relatively affordable price and of course some are better than others. Most people will be happy there but there are gains to be made moving up that's something you are interested in. The gains are not huge but that's something most if not all people already know before venturing into that range.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 20
if my priorities allowed, I'd spend on totl CFA and maybe Earsonics, to name a few.

I've found great favor as of late with what's available even in the 200$ price range. Also, daps and dac/amps are a good way to upgrade the sound.

another way to see it, those in between totl and the 200$ are more in the awkward spot lol...

edit: have you seen the shells in kumitate line up??? there's value besides the sound itself in some cases.

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 20
 Most people will be happy there but there are gains to be made moving up that's something you are interested in. The gains are not huge but that's something most if not all people already know before venturing into that range.

See this is where I see the issue. You say "gains are not huge" but my argument is...are there any actual gains at all? I mean, sure this name brand IEM or that super expensive CIEM might have more crisp and airy highs but the $200 Chinese IEM has way better bass, better sound stage, etc. And this is always the case where IEM A might do this or that better than IEM B but IEM B also has it's positives over IEM A as well.

I mean, look at my trader feedback here to see a fraction of what I've owned. I know "good" sound and stuff like the Shockwave 3, to me, just don't really do anything wrong or bad. Upper mids can be a little hot sometimes but other than that everything about them is great and based off of memory really isn't lacking anything sound wise compared to the "high-end" stuff I've heard. Hell, things like bass with these is AMAZING and EASILY the best I've heard from any IEM that I can recall. 

So yeah, that's where I'm at. I know the higher end IEM's might have better build quality (which for IEM's where does the point of diminishing returns begin?) and come with more accessories but sound wise? I just see no reason for them anymore. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 20
For example $12 awesomeness:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ritmix-rh-155/reviews/18244
I guess that can compete with Sennheiser IE800 though I haven't heard them. But I heard that many people are unhappy with IE800.
Personally I think spending more than $20 on IEMs is silly because they die too soon and are more difficult to repair.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 20
  For example $12 awesomeness:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ritmix-rh-155/reviews/18244
I guess that can compete with Sennheiser IE800 though I haven't heard them. But I heard that many people are unhappy with IE800.
Personally I think spending more than $20 on IEMs is silly because they die too soon and are more difficult to repair.

Are you really comparing 12 dollar budget IEM to 800 dollar IEM's?

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 20
  See this is where I see the issue. You say "gains are not huge" but my argument is...are there any actual gains at all? I mean, sure this name brand IEM or that super expensive CIEM might have more crisp and airy highs but the $200 Chinese IEM has way better bass, better sound stage, etc. And this is always the case where IEM A might do this or that better than IEM B but IEM B also has it's positives over IEM A as well.

How do you use your IEMs? I have been having an interesting discussion here on the forums about listening to music and hearing what is there. What I mean is that someone who listens attentively will, over time, train their brain to recognise and register more details and nuances. For those people the gains possible at the highest end are clearly there. For most people who simply listen to and enjoy music, TOTL IEMs will bring few gains relative to the added investment required. For those people the quantity of the individual elements of the signature is enough and they might care less about the quality, relatively speaking of course.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 20
So your preference for one mid fi IEM you've tried over other hi fi IEMs you've tried leads you to question the value of all hi fi IEMs? And then you get mad when people don't respond to your poorly titled thread that reaches a broach conclusion based on a limited sample?

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 20
  So your preference for one mid fi IEM you've tried over other hi fi IEMs you've tried leads you to question the value of all hi fi IEMs? And then you get mad when people don't respond to your poorly titled thread that reaches a broach conclusion based on a limited sample?

Thanks for adding to the conversation. And no, it's not just one IEM. I've owned now several cheap Chinese/Korean IEM's that compete highly. 

Sorry I upset you I suppose?
  I guess it's too difficult to comprehend )). They both are ceramic, small driver IEMs. The cheaper one may even have construction benefit and I consider it almost perfect. While I heard some crap thrown in the direction of IE800.

I've heard the IE800 and wasn't really impressed. It's one of those that you either love or hate

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 20
Remember that company Vertu which continued selling $1000+ luxury "feature phones" well after smartphones had rendered them essentially obsolete in every other price range?

Having 200 balanced armature drivers in each ear does seem to create a unique kind of sound. Better, or worth it? eh... but I get the feeling there will always be a place for these things even as the selling points become ever more ephemeral.

OFC, in a post-Baldoor E100 world everything seems like a ripoff :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back