Are headphone amps frustrating and depressing?
Apr 6, 2011 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Tigers Go GRRR

New Head-Fier
Most $1,000 headphone amps have nothing but a volume control.

I'm used to "bass boost" or "equalizers" in my lower-end audio world and I was wondering if any headphone amp owners find it frustrating to not be able to adjust the highs, mids or lows to your preference on your amp.

My fear is that my Concerto/LCD2 setup won't have enough bass punch, for a kickdrum to punch me straight out of my chair. With no knob to increase the low end, I'd be sad.

Am I right to be nervous or is there a solution?

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 47
Yes, equing helps. 

Or probably you don't like the sound signature of your headphones/amp. (are you a basshead?)

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 47
If you need to adjust anything, your setup is wrong for you, enough said. ;D Or then you're not accepting how the music should sound...

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 47
Not really. You might have a great sound that just lacks a bit of air in the top, as with the Senn 650. A slight twitch to the right on a treble control can mean the difference between keeping a phone and selling it.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 47
How is not having EQ depressing? My philosophy is that you should appreciate the unique qualities and sound signature of your headphones, rather than tweaking them so they all sound the same.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 47
I don't have any 1k+ amps but even then, I don't have any problems with them not having any features. You can always get a studio dac that will let you play around.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 47
The good amps don't need EQ. If a design is poor, I won't buy it in the first place.

You might be interested in an equalizer. Also, the M^3 (which is a good amp) has a variable bass boost that's well implemented. You might want to look into one.

But generally, I look for amps that just have a power switch and volume control. The best amps focus on a great circuit, great build quality and good parts. A good circuit is the most important part.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:Originally Posted by pp312 

Not really. You might have a great "sound that just lacks a bit of air in the top, as with the Senn 650. A slight twitch to the right on a treble control can mean the difference between keeping a phone and selling it."

I'd rather sell the headphone and get one better suited to my preferences than rely on EQ. If the OP thinks the LCD2 is bass shy then the OP isn't looking for a neutral or transparent sound. Certainly not a real sound. Which, I suppose, is fine. The better the headphone and amp though, the more neutral they will generally be.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 47
"I'd rather sell the headphone and get one better suited to my preferences than rely on EQ."

So would I because I don't believe in wholesale EQ, which is why I suggested a slight twitch of the treble control. There's a vast difference between EQing, which generally implies an equaliser and invites constant fiddling and changing things, and using a treble control to effect a slight, permanent change to the sound, sufficient to turn it from vaguely dissatisfying to wholly satisfying. Let's define our terms here.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 47
Amps like their name implies are only meant to do what their supposed to do; amplify the sound. If you want your amp to come with a myriad of features, you will have to look elsewhere. From your experiences it seems you're used to bass-heavy music which is not how the music actually sounds. The denons are about as bass-heavy as you're going to get without touching the EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back