Are Head-Fiers Speaker-dumb?
Jan 12, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #92 of 105
I agree... some of the stuff out there that are sold for around $100 (like Athena, Klipsch, and Infinity) are actually very satisfying to listen to. Not great, but satisfying.

I dont believe in audio snobbery as people have different tastes. To come on a site and proclaim that all should buy speakers that you approve (and by your definition, means expensive) otherwise they are dumb seems a little pretentious to me.

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #93 of 105
I'm immensely pleased with my $300 Axiom M3ti's. They're absolutely fantastic speakers - very detailed, very well balanced and quite refined without being overly polite. I'd love to hear something at the price that beats it, cause that'd be the mother of all price/performance speakers.
biggrin.gif
Coupled with my SVS PB10-ISD (another insanely good price/performance value), I can say that I prefer my speaker system over my headphone system hands down.

You don't need to spend a paycheck or multiples of one to get truly good speakers.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #94 of 105
Aman- I read your initial post and have read no others so this may have been said. While we have a number of members here who are in their 30's, 40's and older the overwhelming majority of members here fall in the age group of somewhere between 18-25. There is often a common denominator among this age group: lack of funds. The idea of building a higher end two channel system is much more costly. While you may argue if they do the research they will find speakers for just a couple more hundred dollars more than their "$100" budget to be far better, consider the fact that that couple hundred dollars is just not feasible for some of them. Also, stand back and take a look at things again from a neutral perspective: perhaps they don't care quite as much as you do about the speakers as you might and they might find something more affordable that's more than good enough for them. It's what's most important to them. Serious two channel audio is a whole different thing too where you need much more room (which again youngsters don't usually have a lot of).

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #95 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
I'm immensely pleased with my $300 Axiom M3ti's. They're absolutely fantastic speakers - very detailed, very well balanced and quite refined without being overly polite. I'd love to hear something at the price that beats it, cause that'd be the mother of all price/performance speakers.
biggrin.gif
Coupled with my SVS PB10-ISD (another insanely good price/performance value), I can say that I prefer my speaker system over my headphone system hands down.

You don't need to spend a paycheck or multiples of one to get truly good speakers.

I agree. And agree the M3ti's are great speakers, I have owned them.

The nicest speakers I have owned were probably a pair of near legendary and well regarded Spendor S3/5's, they are about $1,000 a pair. At the time I had about $5,000 of electronics behind them, in a big room, well placed, on dedicated stands. Of course they sounded wonderful. A few times I inserted my Paradigm Atoms into this system and I have to say, I enjoyed those speakers about as much as my Spendor's. I still have the Atoms and the Spendor's are long gone.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #96 of 105
If I want $100.00 speakers...I buy $100.00 speakers. I dont see why you need to lose your head because of my decision. If it bothers you so much - how about you buy me a $1000.00 pair of speakers...more than willing to let you use your better judgement and spend your own money on me
wink.gif

If the k1000 can give me so much enjoyment I am sure I can buy a cheap pair of speakers, stick em in a frame, sock em to my head and groove
k1000smile.gif

Cost of parts < $100.00
tongue.gif
including the amp
tongue.gif

I love my Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 - Spend more time with these than I do with my headphones.

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #99 of 105
Those look cool... what drivers? Do they sound good?
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #100 of 105
Anyone else notice the following positive correlation?
"You only need $X to get good Y" where X = how much disposable income you have and Y being nearly any product type.

I know I've often fallen prey to this mindset.
smily_headphones1.gif

In any event, it does strike me as a bit perculiar to see people who own $5K+ headphone rigs and spend less on their stereo speaker systems. But I guess we all have our diffferent priorities, neccessities, and preferences. No headphone system comes close to what a decent speaker system can do for me, but I will readily admit headphone listening is an unique and enjoyable experience.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #102 of 105
I got confused for a sec and thought Fluance was the white van crap type of speaker, but it was Nuance...anyway, I've never heard any Fluance speakers before but they do seem underpriced, who knows. The only speaker name I really have any experience with are Pioneers and PSBs...I really like the psb series, but they can get pricey.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #103 of 105
Well, after reading through this post, and doing some searching on the internet, I have a strong urge to buy the Fluance AV-HTB+ speakers and the Sony STR-DE595 to power them. I posted this thread, but no one seemed to notice.

Before reading this thread I was interested in some tower speakers that would be decent to use without a sub (the one I have now is crap, even after my mods), so the Fluance's seem to fit perfectly. I was thinking of just getting the Fluance towers, but for only $50 more you get a center channel and two surrounds, so I think I'd rather just ditch my entire old set-up. Since I'm on a super tight budget (no income at all, I probably won't be able to buy these until summer) the Sony reciever seems like the cheapest thing that will power these adequately.

Since, there are definitely mixed opinions on the Fluance speakers (in this thread, the rest of the internet seemed to like them) I was wondering if anyone else could recommend me a 5.0 setup which would cover the full frequency range and cost the same or less than the Fluance's?

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #104 of 105
There pretty much isn't one, or at least not a respectable one.

Edit to clarify: The Fluance is a great deal for a budget home theater and it's very difficult to find a comparable deal in the pricerange unless you're lucky on eBay or garage/estate sales.

Jan 13, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #105 of 105
There's a lot of great budget components out there.

I can understand why people correlate price with quality of components since we usually stereotype cheaper (ie. budget gear) with having shoddy quality and sound reproduction. I too own a pair of Grado SR-60's and I still listen to them to this day, they sound wonderful for $69.

As for why head-fiers spend so much on cans? It's simple, most of us live in small apartments where the thought of owning a 2 channel stereo rig is just not possible. If i lived in a house I would've sold off all my headphones a long, long time ago (no, not the Baby O's, they're being buried with me).

When I decide to purchase a stereo rig I intend on going with the Epos ELS3 because I've heard them before and loved them. Plus, the price scale for speakers isn't always that honest in assessing quality. I've heard plenty of ~$5000 speakers that sounded wonderful but I can't say the same for speakers that were running for far more than that (think Pipedreams).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back