Are 4n silver recable worth the upgrade?
Nov 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
It seems that so many experienced cable experts here think 6n/7n cables are really worth the money and effort. What about 4n silver?
Or do you guys think at that price range, money will be better spent on similar priced copper cable? Or the UHPLC cable(my case)?

I really appreciate your help!

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I see. Thanx Uncle Erik. I am also looking for a cable upgrade to silver so I can perhaps change the Sound Signature of Magnum V4 drivers to something a little brighter with tighter bass.

I am actually a believer of silver cables, as I do here the sound differences. Not huge, but to my ears, it's there.

At the same time, I do agree that money can be better spent on new amp or better DAC. This is why, I am not considering 7n silver cables for my upgrade. I am just really curious as to what kind of improvement should I expect from Grado UHPLC cables to 4n silver. If I can get 2% improvement and brighter Sound Signature. I am happy!

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 6
In my audio cook book, cables are the last upgrade/tweak I make. Right now I'm satisfied and happy with my hp, amp and dac. So my next upgrade/tweak are my cables, solid core pure silver.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 6

Depending on the headphones, the wires, and the other components in the system, you should easily get a 2% improvement (difference?) going from copper to silver, if not more. brighter sound at least. I can’t specifically comment on HP’s cables, or even recommend anyone in particular, as I’ve never tried it. I’m somewhat sceptic about HP’s cables, but likely because I’ve not tried them. If I was to re-cable a HP, I’d probably consider getting some I/C wires and turn them into HP’s cables.

The silver speaker cables that I’m using atm have transformed my system beyond any expectation; brighter, livelier, faster… vocals in particular have got more presence, and seem more separated from the rest of music… pretty amazing.

However, not everything is good. The bass has got leaner, which I wouldn’t mind too much, but unfortunately it’s also rolled off, and it’s lost its definition; it’s become sort of loose. it kind of sucks.

again, results may vary from system to system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back