Are 4 word posts crap?
Feb 25, 2005 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just wondering if anyone else has come to view the under 10 word poster as a waste of bandwidth?
Or are they just more frequent and becoming glaring?
Some posts are a "LOL" and half clever remark of a few words, the clever remark usually the first and easiest cultural reference to come to mind.
There are exceptions of course, folks who most often write full paragraphs or more and occasionally a few word reply. That's different and I think covers the majority.
I mean I could be wrong, I'm not sure.
Is it a post count thing? Gotta say something? Can't resist saying something even though you've nothing to say? I know standards slip imperceptively over time...it happens, (especially with the toil of daily posting).
Try harder.

Ok who'll be the first 4 word or less poster to answer?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 91
You raise a good point, but I am sure everyone has been guilty of doing this. Does it bother you when you are trying to have a serious discussion of headphones or whatever or when it is in a irrelevant post.

I don't think it is deliberate but with headfi having so many members now and the same questions are coming up time and time again sometimes it is not viable to write the same opinion time and time again. It's easier to put very short comments or such.

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 91
BUMP!

A lot of sites are flooded with that much hated phrase, really, it doesn't waste much "bandwidth", since it's only a few kb or less,...the text. I mean, having "long and thoughtful" threads and posts is nice, but sometiems just being like "Happy Birthday" is fun. At least that's what I think, as long as it doesn't become a spam problem I think we're fine.

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
BUMP!

A lot of sites are flooded with that much hated phrase, really, it doesn't waste much "bandwidth", since it's only a few kb or less,...the text. I mean, having "long and thoughtful" threads and posts is nice, but sometiems just being like "Happy Birthday" is fun. At least that's what I think, as long as it doesn't become a spam problem I think we're fine.

You're right on both counts. Happy Birthday is fun of course.

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 91
My short posts are the only ones that ever make any sense. That doesn't say much about me, does it.

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 91
I agree with you.

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 91
eyeteeth;

Who's bandwith is this? Yours?

"OOH, don't waste my preeeecious baaaaandwith... PLEEEASE ooonly possst meeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaniiiiigly fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulll things."

Oh yea, a whopping fraction of bandwith has just been wasted, yea i'm sure the bandwith gods readying to strike thunder at me and caste me to an infinite doom in the deeeeeeeeep bit bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back