[Archive] Your 'Go-to' Headphone Listings
Jul 23, 2008 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Akabeth

500+ Head-Fier
I have only spent a few months observing head-fi and even less as a member. What I found is that despite how big and encompassing the database is, there are so many recurring posts asking things that have been mentioned a million and one times over (yeah it's a hyperbole).

Questions like "how headphone x sounds", "your opinions about headphone y" and "is headphone z worth it?" are all over this section. I can understand these things asked on an computing forums where there are software revisions weekly, where just about every hardware is updated and/or refreshed within months and top-of-the-line components become obsolete within a year! Correct me if I'm wrong but the world of head-fi doesn't update at that speed.

Having said that, I've decided to post a thread where [hopefully] members can voice themselves about a particular headphone they have enjoyed. Given time and enough posters, hopefully this thread will be an archive where guests and members can read to base-off their next headphone purchase. Also please let's make an effort to keep this thread organized.
biggrin.gif

A sticky thread to take note of:
Headphone Buyer's Guide

Note to Participants: You are not obligated to write a paragraph explaining each section, in fact being concise will make reading much easier in most cases. Also for the love of god, please only voice yourself for a headphone that you have owned, currently own or experienced from a loan (extended time only!). It doesn't help if you've only heard the headphone for about 15 minutes at a meet. Just about everyone here would like a go at an HE-90/HEV90 or an R10 through Singlepower's SDS-XLR. Also feel free to re-post if your headphone and/or setup preferences have changed.

Enough of the chatter. Here it goes:

1) Headphone model (AKG...., Stax, ...., etc); include recabling/mods done
Update: [IEM/earbud entries are definitely welcomed]
2) Type of headphone (electrostatic, dynamic, etc)
3) Design (open, closed, semi open, etc.)
4) Usage (portable, home-use, dj, broadcasting, gaming, music preferences, etc)
5) Why is it your go-to headphone? Short impression. (Very comfortable, sounds great, keeps me awake while studying, deep punchy bass without mudding up the mids, etc)

Optional:
6) Setup (iPod>x, iRiver>amp>x, source>dac>amp>x, as shown in sig, etc)
7) Pics
biggrin.gif
(Please limit this to one; It can be your setup or just the headphone itself in which ever setting your heart desire)
8) Existing Review/Impressions links & threads
This is a big one. I understand some people here just don't have the time and patience to use the 'search' function before asking
9)Additional Notes: ........ (Miscellaneous things. Market value at time of purchase, price when bought used, after market recabling costs, shipping?
ph34r.gif
everything else appropriate)

[size=xx-small]*Poll added for price-range. See Revision #1
*Additional Notes added. See Revision #2[/size]

==============================

I'll start with mine.

1) Ultrasone Edition 9; ALO modded -> recabled with JenaLabs 18AWG @ 7ft
2) Dynamic
3) Closed
4) Portable and home-use
5) Great with live music, rock and trance. Deep punchy bass, relatively small soundstage, unique listening experience, great head banging + toe-tapping headphone.
6) Main setup: iPod > LOD > Predator > Ed.9
7)
07232008047.jpg

8) Links:
Markl modded D5000(full mod) vs edition 9
There's Something About Ultrasone…
Review: Ultrasone Edition 9 and Proline 2500
Portable Showdown: Ultrasone Edition 7 vs ALO Edition 9 [Impressions]

Reload this Page Woo Hoo. . . Got my Edition 9 . . wooo hooo . . best current production headphones. . . ? and I love them.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]
Revision #1: Added poll where users can vote the "retail price" of your go-to headphone. Currently it is divided amongst 4 divisions. (07/23/08)
Revision #2: Some updates. Added "Additional Notes" so users can ermm... included miscellaneous details (08/05/08)[/size]

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 14
1) Headphone model AKG Sextett MP with new pads and elastics
2) Type of headphone dynamic
3) Design open (semi open?)
4) Usage home use
5) Why is it your go-to headphone? Short impression. Comfortable and without any real flaws. Nice warm mids with, as tubes change, a tight controlled bass. Detail could be better but these have been my to go performers. Upgradis is slowly coming but I think I will keep these anyway. They do a great job of letting you listen to the music beyond your system.

Optional:
6) Setup Dell Latitude D830>Beresford DAC> DV 336i (tubes changing still)> Sextett
7) Pics
img2127gf8.jpg

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...extett-276791/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...sanity-324905/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...od-akg-243339/

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 14
1) Headphone model -> Stax SR-007BL
2) Type of headphone -> Electrostatic
3) Design -> Open
4) Usage -> Home use only. For music, movies, games, and more.
5) Why is it your go-to headphone? Short impression. -> They have great sound quality, and are comfortable on the head. Overall just excellent.
6) Setup -> MacBook Pro > Electrocompaniet ECD1 > SRM-007t > SR-007BL
7) Pics
img0131aa4.jpg

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 14
1) Headphone model: Alessandro Ms1 with hd414 pads
2) Type of headphone: Dynamic, low impedance 32Ohm
3) Design: Open
4) Usage : home use.
5) Why is it my go-to headphone? : Goes well with extreme metal, aggressive, front row sound signature. Not much bass heavy, quite on the bright side, focused on mids, does electric guitars like no other. Very comfortable and light.No amplification needed to sound good.

img0884rm5.jpg

6) Setup : out of my audiotrak prodigy

"Official" fan club
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ale...n-club-199195/

Street price : 99$ shipped worldwide.

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 14
1) Headphone model Beyerdynamic DT990 (1985, 600 Ohm). No mods, except for the pads (redone with foam) and the driver covers (panty hose)
2) Type of headphone Dynamic
3) Design open
4) Usage home-use
5) Why is it your go-to headphone? Great, detailed sound. Extended, deep bass that does not distort mids. Warm, smooth mids, crisp treble. Handles all genres, keeps engaging me. Very comfortable as well.
6) Setup Philips CD 751 (modded) or computer> Zero DAC>Graham Slee Solo>Beyerdynamic DT990

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 14
What about music genre preferences?

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Two questions:

1) Are IEMs included in this? I can see there being great benefit since people always ask about them...

2) Is it worth adding a price or if it varies, a rough estimate just to give people an idea of how much it'll cost.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for input. I'll do some updates to the directions on OP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about music genre preferences?

Try to include that on #4. I'll add in description

Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two questions:

1) Are IEMs included in this? I can see there being great benefit since people always ask about them...

2) Is it worth adding a price or if it varies, a rough estimate just to give people an idea of how much it'll cost.

@1. Sure. If that's your go-to headphone, by all means post it.
@2. I was contemplating this too. I ended up adding the poll for that purpose and for posting accuracy only vote the retail for the headphone itself.
Note: I'll add a description for additional details (e.g. retail value, market value at time of post, recabling costs, etc)

beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 14
1) Headphone model: Grado SR60
2) Type of headphone: dynamic
3) Design: very open
4) Usage: home-use
5) Why is it your go-to headphone? Short impression. Makes my music sound alive. The Grado sound is fun, musical, and engaging to a degree that is second to none. Must-have headphone for a rock lover. After "burn-in", highs become less shrill and sibilant, yet still maintaining detail. Mids are warm and forward, and the impactful bass is perfect and not too boomy. The fit is great for a glasses-wearer like me; pads rest comfortably on the ears. Just make sure you stretch out the headband for a less clamping fit. At $69 new, this is probably the best value for any headphone out there.
6) Setup: MacBook Pro > SR60. No external DAC/amp required for great sound.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 14
1. Beyerdynamic DT48
2. Dynamic
3. Closed
4. Home, studio/professional work
5. This is my go to headphone for all things vocal and/or acoustic. The soundstage is narrower than the K-501, but still has impressive Mids and more sparkle up top. They are musical yet highly revealing and demand excellent recordings and equipment. If you have those, you will hear every last detail in your recording. But you can also lean back and get into the music. Completely natural sounding, especially with piano.

6. I'm using the DT48 with an Eddie Current Zana Deux right now. I don't have any other amps set up currently, but am hoping to build a rack and set up more soon. My sources are a Marantz SA8001, Michell Orbe SE/SME IV/Grado Platinum/Fi Yph, a Scott 350B FM tuner, and a Hammarlund HQ-129X AM/communications receiver.

7. Pics: to be added

8. There's one small thread by someone else, but I think I'm the only one talking about these. However, they will be going (along with much else) to CanJam 2009 and I plan to badger as many people as possible to give them a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back