APRIL FOOLS! Astell&Kern AK480 Music Player!
Apr 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #376 of 395

Cheap, good sounding players with mircosd slot for the masses!
atsmile.gif

Actually these are good days for better sounding daps with reasonable price tags such as the DX50 and the Fiio X3....or for a little bit more the DX90 and X5.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #377 of 395
  Actually these are good days for better sounding daps with reasonable price tags such as the DX50 and the Fiio X3....or for a little bit more the DX90 and X5.

There is definitely a very good value on sub USD 500 DAPs now. Above this price point the law of diminishing returns kicks in at a very steep curve. (Very high cost for little or no gain).

You are basically paying very high premium on extra/non-essential features for a DAP.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #378 of 395

There is definitely a very good value on sub USD 500 DAPs now. Above this price point the law of diminishing returns kicks in at a very steep curve. (Very high cost for little or no gain).

You are basically paying very high premium on extra/non-essential features for a DAP.

I genuinely can't see any worthwhile reason to go past the $999 pricetag of the Calyx-M, at the top (luxury) end, and I'm extremely grateful for iBasso and Fiio stepping-up-to-the-plate at the low-to-mid-range of the audiophile DAP sector. I personally feel that, in different ways, the X5 and the DX90 are game-changers in terms of true audiophile bang-for-the-buck. And the eventual appearance of the Fiio X7 and the eventual replacement to the DX100 are also likely to be game-changers in the higher (but still sub-$1000) sector of the market.

I feel very fortunate to be a fan of audiophile DAPs and CIEMs at a time when the market is increasingly being populated with such decent products at a choice of price-points - things were nowhere near as healthy a mere 3 years ago.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #381 of 395

I agree with everything up till "extra/non-essential features" - it's not like A&K products are offering picture/video viewing, radio or recording function that actually exists on some other DAPs. It's charging you the price purely for the SQ it offers (other than the hard material etc). High premium? Yes. Non-essential? Err.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #382 of 395
Those type of silly jokes should be forbidden in the future.People come on here because they want to learn more about music or gear or want help to buy a DAP and they get mislead.
And the joke wasn't too far fromythe reality when we all know how much A&K are charging compared to other manufacturers.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #383 of 395
Those type of silly jokes should be forbidden in the future.People come on here because they want to learn more about music or gear or want help to buy a DAP and they get mislead.
And the joke wasn't too far fromythe reality when we all know how much A&K are charging compared to other manufacturers.

I know right...I sold my house in preparation to purchase the AK480, only to find out it was a hoax.

I've been scouring the gutters for some food, whilst you're all sitting there laughing at this sick joke.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #384 of 395

Thats what makes great joke suppose to be. You can't tell the difference from real.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #385 of 395
I agree with everything up till "extra/non-essential features" - it's not like A&K products are offering picture/video viewing, radio or recording function that actually exists on some other DAPs. It's charging you the price purely for the SQ it offers (other than the hard material etc). High premium? Yes. Non-essential? Err.

And that's what makes it a joke right? Increasing the premium higher but the change in SQ is getting subtler/slimmer closer to flat.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #386 of 395

But...but...but...This place misleads people all the time. Why do you think its slogan is "Welcome to [the corporate-sponsor-driven culture of] head-fi, and sorry about your wallet"?
tongue.gif

As far as these types of jokes happening in the future, I suggest everyone simply mark April 1st on their calendars from now on.
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #387 of 395
I know right...I sold my house in preparation to purchase the AK480, only to find out it was a hoax.

I've been scouring the gutters for some food, whilst you're all sitting there laughing at this sick joke.

I can sell you some food, but you have to pick it up here because I've already sold my car to buy the new AK960. 
blink.gif

PS - We might be able to keep this thread going until next April 1st!

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #389 of 395

Ever heard of the Darwin Awards?

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #390 of 395
Not all of these April 1st announcements were AFD jokes - some were really true (like CustomArt's Harmony CIEM, for example).

A little discernment (and, if that fails, a little patience) works wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back