Approve/Deny my Upcoming Purchases
Dec 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Dillan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hows it going,

In the next week or so I plan on buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's w/ a Schiit Asgard amp and HRT Music Streamer II dac.  I listen to every type of music so just looking for a good all around sound with the 650's.  My computer will be my only source of music.  Also will be using my Ultrasone Pro 900's with this setup.  What do you guys think? 

Thanks,

p.s.
This is my first post, long time reader.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 25
That would be one hell of a boring setup.

Veiled/boring headphones + neutral amp = boring sound. Just my speculation though, I've tried the 650 and have the Asgard, but never tried them together. But just you wait, people saying 650 is not veiled will be coming after my comment. I'm not a big fan of the 650's sound, so maybe a little biased, but the veil is definitely there with inadequate amplification. I heard the newer 650s are not as veiled but who knows, I tried 3 650's over 1 year and all of them were veiled compared to my old D5000.

Personally I think the Beyer DT880/990 or AKG K550 will make better all-rounder cans, easier to drive as well. Check out the new Sony MDR-1R too.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 25
I haven't actually heard the 650's myself but a lot of people have recommended them to me.  I have heard the newer 650s do not have the veil that everyone talks about, but i could be wrong.  A more neutral sound is kind of what I am looking for right now to be honest.. of course I don't really want "boring" but I want something I can wear and listen to for hours and hours as I am looking for a primary headphone for everyday computing (I spend a lot of time on the computer).  I love my ultrasone 900's, but there is no way I could wear them for as long as I am on a PC per day.  

I initially chose beyerdynamics, but thought that perhaps the HD 650's would be a better choice.  Any advice helps.   

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Thanks Dyaems, looking forward to it!

May want to send the combo over to me to see if it has the veil
tongue.gif
 Sounds like a great combo to me!

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 25
Haha, Yea, i think it will be a great setup, I cant wait.  Ill probably post a review after I get everything setup and listen to it for a little while.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 25
Well, I chose the dt-880 over the hd650 with my fiio e17 amp.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:
But just you wait, people saying 650 is not veiled will be coming after my comment. I'm not a big fan of the 650's sound, so maybe a little biased, but the veil is definitely there with inadequate amplification.

Sorry, "veil" is a term without any accepted definition. The HD-650 definitely doesn't need additional amplification, contrary to the widespread, but untrue myth.

Your preference for a different sound isn't really a bias, it simply reflects your preference.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 25
Thanks for all the replies, as for amplification of the 650, from what i've read and heard, people encourage amplification with the hd 650's, but say they arent as power hungry as other high impedance headphones.  Which is why im going with sort of a starter grade amp, which can power my other headphones as well (not getting this setup purely for the sennheisers)  Im going to try out the asgard which is a solid state amp, then perhaps move on to a tube amp and try other headphones later.

Really a huge factor in me getting the HD 650's are comfort and of course sound.  Someone mentioned HD 600's which i looked at, but every review i read says the 650 has noticeably better bass in all ranges and although im not getting these for bass (I have other headphones for that).. More still means better so that is why i chose 650's.
-Keep in mind i will be wearing these many hours a day.-

The only real issue im worrying about right now is, because they are open back, im wondering if the mxl ac404 desktop mic im getting will pick up the background noise of the headphones.  The mic is made for voice and is suppose to block out everything else, so hopefully it does just that.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, as for amplification of the 650, from what i've read and heard, people encourage amplification with the hd 650's, but say they arent as power hungry as other high impedance headphones.  Which is why im going with sort of a starter grade amp, which can power my other headphones as well (not getting this setup purely for the sennheisers)  Im going to try out the asgard which is a solid state amp, then perhaps move on to a tube amp and try other headphones later.

Really a huge factor in me getting the HD 650's are comfort and of course sound.  Someone mentioned HD 600's which i looked at, but every review i read says the 650 has noticeably better bass in all ranges and although im not getting these for bass (I have other headphones for that).. More still means better so that is why i chose 650's.
-Keep in mind i will be wearing these many hours a day.-

Don't drink the HD-650 Koolaid.

1. The '650 isn't power hungry or hard to drive and this is easily verified on Sennheiser's web pages.
  2. The '650 doesn't require external amplification or a "POWERFUL" amp (as one non-user imagined.)
  3. The 650's have slightly exaggerated bass, not "better" bass, compared to the more-neutral 600.

The HD-650 is the victim of a number of tall tales repeated blindly. This much is true:

1. I find them deafeningly loud with my PC's Realtek chipset with the volume turned up.
  2. I use them (mostly) with an ODAC+O2 combo.
  3. I chose them over the HD-600.
  4. I can wear them for a long time (even through naps) with not a bit of listening fatigue.

While some people's tastes lie elsewhere, I think the HD-650 is excellent. I recommend them if you've ordered them, I think you'll be pleased. I also recommend the ODAC+O2 combo. They're measurably transparent, with inaudible distortion, and for their price, they can't be beat.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 25
Thank you HamilcarBarca for the help, after reading more and getting advice from you guys I think I am going to stick with the HD 650's and Asgard/HRT.  I will be ordering either late this week or early next week.  

Thanks again for all you guys help and feedback..
I might post a review or something later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back