Apple's lossless ALAC goes open source
Oct 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

turokrocks

Headphoneus Supremus
http://alac.macosforge.org/post/welcome-to-the-apple-lossless-audio-codec-project/

So now any DAP can support ALAC for no fees

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 10
I could care less. I will still rip any CD's I get to FLAC.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I could care less. I will still rip any CD's I get to FLAC.

For many with Alac collection might appreciate the move for now expect updates from major DAP makers to update their firmware fully compatible with Alac and that's something!
beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 10
On one hand its great to have another good option for lossless audio.

On the other hand i wish itunes would die a horrible death and those who worked to create it suffer eternal damnation. so a step like this might seem to some as a step backwards by encoreging others to use itunes with non apple players.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
On one hand its great to have another good option for lossless audio.

On the other hand i wish itunes would die a horrible death and those who worked to create it suffer eternal damnation. so a step like this might seem to some as a step backwards by encoreging others to use itunes with non apple players.

LOL, The main reason I did not get/use/borrow ever an iphone is itunes
mad.gif
, if this is the case then we r SCR.....

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 10
It isn't as if devs have to remove FLAC compatibility in order to add ALAC.  You might not care for yourself about open-source ALAC, but be happy for anyone else who's tired of maintaining two libraries for one collection.

The main person who has been "screwed" by ALAC is the occasional non-Rockboxed iDevice user who has had to shuttle between lossless libraries depending on which player or software they happened to be using.

Even dedicated Apple users might have suffered eventually.  If someone decides to ditch Apple completely, why penalize them by forcing them to rip their entire lossless catalog all over again?  The problem has never been that ALAC was too available. It's that Apple made FLAC unavailable to Apple users and ALAC to everyone else.

Lifting one side of the ban brings us all that much closer to universal music access.  The next step is for Apple to embrace FLAC as they have USB ports and Intel processors.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
It isn't as if devs have to remove FLAC compatibility in order to add ALAC.  You might not care for yourself about open-source ALAC, but be happy for anyone else who's tired of maintaining two libraries for one collection.

The main person who has been "screwed" by ALAC is the occasional non-Rockboxed iDevice user who has had to shuttle between lossless libraries depending on which player or software they happened to be using.

Even dedicated Apple users might have suffered eventually.  If someone decides to ditch Apple completely, why penalize them by forcing them to rip their entire lossless catalog all over again?  The problem has never been that ALAC was too available. It's that Apple made FLAC unavailable to Apple users and ALAC to everyone else.

Lifting one side of the ban brings us all that much closer to universal music access.  The next step is for Apple to embrace FLAC as they have USB ports and Intel processors.

agree, but apple embracing FLAC is a very very long shot.

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 10
And yet we said that about Intel processors not long ago.

While I respect and acknowledge his contribution, let's mug it:  Jobs is gone.  I for one am waiting to see whether Apple remains as Draconian post-Jobs as it was under his inspired but rather confining rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back