Apple Touch 5G thread.
Oct 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #106 of 367
I haven't listened to the ipod touch in months... plugged in my phones this morning, damn it sounds good. Really has me second guessing wasting money on another DAP. I need to do some more abing between this and my AK100II and AK120II this week. I might save myself $2k.

Warrior my friend,

I would love to read your comparison between the AKs and the iPod Touch 5th considering you have the 846s and an RSA balanced amp.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #108 of 367
Just did some abing between the ak100ii and ipod touch 5g. Mids sound a little more forward on ipod, bass is more present too, which could be impedance issue I suppose. Small details sound a little better, and I mean very, very, very little of the AK. I was playing flac on the AK, and alac on the ipod. I also had mp3s of the same flac songs in the AK, and really didn't notice any difference. Both sound very good and for the price difference it's a no brainer, to me, ipod is the better value. That being said, I do like the ak better look wise, I like the sound a bit better, although I do prefer bass, on the ipod it is a just a tad muddied, it spills over. Test phones Ref 1 and Shure Se846. Might play with my ath ckr9 now for a bit. I didn't use my RSA, battery died, I left it on earlier.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #109 of 367
Just did some abing between the ak100ii and ipod touch 5g. Mids sound a little more forward on ipod, bass is more present too, which could be impedance issue I suppose. Small details sound a little better, and I mean very, very, very little of the AK. I was playing flac on the AK, and alac on the ipod. I also had mp3s of the same flac songs in the AK, and really didn't notice any difference. Both sound very good and for the price difference it's a no brainer, to me, ipod is the better value. That being said, I do like the ak better look wise, I like the sound a bit better, although I do prefer bass, on the ipod it is a just a tad muddied, it spills over. Test phones Ref 1 and Shure Se846. Might play with my ath ckr9 now for a bit. I didn't use my RSA, battery died, I left it on earlier.

The greater and muddier bass on the 846 could be the iPod's 1.7ohm output impedance. I will be curious when you hook your Intruder into the mix if that changes the outcome. Great comparison thank you.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #111 of 367
The greater and muddier bass on the 846 could be the iPod's 1.7ohm output impedance. I will be curious when you hook your Intruder into the mix if that changes the outcome. Great comparison thank you.

I believe the 5G's impedance is less than 1 Ohm. In this case less is more - better controlled bass.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #112 of 367
I think the bass is tighter on the AK, more present on the 5g for sure. If anyone here is considering a higher end DAP... I must say, be careful. The improvement is minor between this and the lower end AK100II. A few days I'll. Have the 120ii...I'm hoping that is more significant.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #113 of 367
I think the bass is tighter on the AK, more present on the 5g for sure. If anyone here is considering a higher end DAP... I must say, be careful. The improvement is minor between this and the lower end AK100II. A few days I'll. Have the 120ii...I'm hoping that is more significant.

Beware of expectation. At least you'll have fun fiddling with the toys.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #114 of 367
At this point, I have very little expectation... other than thinking I'll be disappointed. Lol. Either I have the worst ears or there is very little difference between all of the high end stuff. I am going to keep one of the AK device as I love the look and feel of them. I suppose it's not the best reason, but whatever if it makes me happy who cares

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #115 of 367
At this point, I have very little expectation... other than thinking I'll be disappointed. Lol. Either I have the worst ears or there is very little difference between all of the high end stuff. I am going to keep one of the AK device as I love the look and feel of them. I suppose it's not the best reason, but whatever if it makes me happy who cares

Yes, there is far less difference than many would make it out to be, otherwise they'd have little to talk about. Your appreciation of aesthetics makes more sense than a hype infused flash mob might think. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #118 of 367
The output impedance is 1.4ohms I stand corrected. http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Others have measured below 1 Ohms, perhaps Ken's cheap cables, as he calls them, were long enough to take it slightly above 1 Ohms when measuring. IMO, not much to cry about, still nice and low, even with his cheap cables.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #119 of 367
Stan I agree. It is only an issue with Warrior and myself because we both own the incredibly sensitive SE846 with its 9ohm imput impedance. I still use my iPod Touch 5th as my DAP.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #120 of 367
Stan I agree. It is only an issue with Warrior and myself because we both own the incredibly sensitive SE846 with its 9ohm imput impedance. I still use my iPod Touch 5th as my DAP.

The lowest impedance IEM I have is a Sony XBA-3 (triple BA) which is 12 Ohms and it works well with my 5G. I suspect that your SE846's should be fine with the 5G, as long as the SE846 cable isn't as bad as Rockwell's cheapo cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back