Apple Music HiFi
May 17, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #16 of 98
Wondering what would be the best way (and the cheapest way) to stream apple music lossless via USB to DAC?
Apple TV has limitations via HDMI audio only. (According to my research)
Mac Mini is a hell of a expensive streamer only for this.

Can Windows Itunes app run Apple Music Lossless?

I don't think anyone knows yet without the apps being available. You could always use an iPhone/iPad with the Camera Connection Kit. I'm doing that now with Roon with full high resolution/MQA all working correctly (connected to my iFi DAC).

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #18 of 98
Been listening to the hi res and Dolby Atmos this morning. Still not sure if I like the Atmos sound. Might be due to it currently being used for newer music that I haven’t heard before. Can’t seem to find a way to compare it to non Atmos song. It looks like once they added the Atmos version they removed older version?
I am enjoying the lossless and the high bit so;gs. Running a iPhone 12 mini into the W2 with Phonak 232.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #20 of 98
Been listening to the hi res and Dolby Atmos this morning. Still not sure if I like the Atmos sound. Might be due to it currently being used for newer music that I haven’t heard before. Can’t seem to find a way to compare it to non Atmos song. It looks like once they added the Atmos version they removed older version?
I am enjoying the lossless and the high bit so;gs. Running a iPhone 12 mini into the W2 with Phonak 232.
Im trying to figure out how to do this, when you say W2 do you mean the Luxury & Precision W2? and VIA lightening it really outputs 44.1Khz? I thought there was a limitation on the lightening to lower res and you need the Camera adapter and go VIA USB to avoid this....I'm confused.

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #21 of 98
Anyone give the Spatial Audio stuff a try? I can’t say that I was impressed by it.
I listened to it for about an hour, different genres, with my Air Pods Max. I’m going to keep an open mind but the Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio stuff sounds like the equivalent of an instagram filter to a photo, a music spaciousness filter applied equally to all types of music. Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio is used in movie theatres and to me music in DASA from solo instrumentals, small live groups to orchestral stuff sounds like its from a movie playing in a movie theatre. It does sound a bit like music is coming from all directions but not in a realistic way.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #22 of 98
I think a shining example of the potential of the Dolby Atmos format is the new St Vincent album “Daddy’s Home.” Some of the songs in their playlists were ok, most were not great but this album, this album makes me think this Dolby Atmos thing has some legs to it. I listened with my AirPod Pros.

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #23 of 98
Connect from iphone 11 -> lightning USB cable to Fiio k5pro -> sennheiser HD660S. Can not easily toggle back and forth btw lossless and mp3.

So observations are very subjective.

I have noticed improvement in string instrument in particular. Female singing voice is not a huge difference. Sound staging is significantly wider.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 98
iPad Pro - iBasso USB-C DAC - 3.5mm to Lightning Cable - to Airpods Max so actual Hi-Res into the headphones and with ANC on……..I am really really enjoying it and I have dumped more money into this hobby than some dump into SUV’s at this point.

C9395177-0DA3-4AD1-AF44-9417810D3969.png

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #25 of 98
iPad Pro - iBasso USB-C DAC - 3.5mm to Lightning Cable - to Airpods Max so actual Hi-Res into the headphones and with ANC on……..I am really really enjoying it and I have dumped more money into this hobby than some dump into SUV’s at this point.

C9395177-0DA3-4AD1-AF44-9417810D3969.png

The path which mentioned is not authentic. You are actually converting it into analog and then to digital in the path. So there is no point in using iBasso as in the end you are again converting it into digital

Apple also mentioned this in their support site

1623380194562.png

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #26 of 98
I was so much looking forward to Apple lossless. I am kind of disappointed and don‘t know exactly why. I am listening with my Meze 99 Classics and a FiiO Q3 (through silver balanced cable 2.5mm). Dolby Atmos only seems to work through the 3.5 connector (3.5 headphone jack on the new iMac 2021 and the 3.5 input on the Q3). I cannot listen to lossless music without EQ. The sound is so dull… anyone else with this experience?

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #27 of 98
In general I was not expecting a lot from Apple but on my M1 MacBook Air to a Chord Qutest and Woo WA22 I am getting very pleasing results with several headphones. That said it is clear with Mac OS there are issues dealing with user friendliness and having to manually control the DAC for best results. Using a 2020 iPad Pro to the Chord and the results are stellar. IOS is night and day easier to use and there are no glitches. Apple is delivering fully on what they claim but you do need an outboard DAC to fully experience it… I expect it won’t take long to iron out MAC OS glitches. Streaming services and sellers of lossless media best be concerned as Apple is making a run to take the market… Already put off buying several FLACS and won’t be adding anything to my purchases if Apple has the titles in lossless. Money saved for more hardware. Oh, no EQ being used for my setup.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #28 of 98
I think a shining example of the potential of the Dolby Atmos format is the new St Vincent album “Daddy’s Home.” Some of the songs in their playlists were ok, most were not great but this album, this album makes me think this Dolby Atmos thing has some legs to it. I listened with my AirPod Pros.
You’re so right. I’m listening to it while I’m typing this, and it’s simply intoxicating. Leonard Bernstein’s 1984 recording of the complete “West Side Story” with José Carreras and Kiri te Kanawa is another one that sounds really well, especially considering its vintage! The first appears to be produced in Dolby Atmos, while the second appears to have actually been recorded in some surround sound technique of the period, and has been more than decently prepared for Dolby Atmos. Already heard some real stinkers, too. “Abbey Road” by The Beatles sounds like the stereo mix has been dragged through the most generic spatial sound algorithm imaginable, meaning it just sounds weird and echoey, and the same goes for Ives’ complete symphonies conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, yet these last two albums are presented as if they are the real Dolby Atmos deal, which makes wading through the budding Dolby Atmos catalogue a decidedly hit-and-miss affair.
Additionally, gapless playback doesn’t always work smoothly with tracks in this format.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #29 of 98
I think it has to be taken with a few grains of salt but Joe Skubinsky and his two sons who are Abyss Headphones, maker of highest of high end headphones, reviewed Apple lossless in their latest YouTube video

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #30 of 98
You’re so right. I’m listening to it while I’m typing this, and it’s simply intoxicating. Leonard Bernstein’s 1984 recording of the complete “West Side Story” with José Carreras and Kiri te Kanawa is another one that sounds really well, especially considering its vintage! The first appears to be produced in Dolby Atmos, while the second appears to have actually been recorded in some surround sound technique of the period, and has been more than decently prepared for Dolby Atmos. Already heard some real stinkers, too. “Abbey Road” by The Beatles sounds like the stereo mix has been dragged through the most generic spatial sound algorithm imaginable, meaning it just sounds weird and echoey, and the same goes for Ives’ complete symphonies conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, yet these last two albums are presented as if they are the real Dolby Atmos deal, which makes wading through the budding Dolby Atmos catalogue a decidedly hit-and-miss affair.
Additionally, gapless playback doesn’t always work smoothly with tracks in this format.

I have enjoyed the St Vincent album in Dolby Atmos and spatial audio though I still have the feeling that, as you say, most recordings sound like they’re dragged through a generic algorithm. From what I’ve read music has to be originally recorded and mastered in Dolby Atmos with a lot of attention and thought to get it right by the recording engineer for it to get the true effect and so far most music, certainly anything old, has not been recorded in Dolby Atmos but simply recompiled. On the other hand, most casual listeners who are far from audiophiles, will probably enjoy the effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back