Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #751 of 871
More digging.
More rathole. More Beatles.

Comparing Apple 24/96 2019 remastering of Abbey Road vs my 16/44.1 2009 remastered CD lossless rip to ALAC. The iPad is input into the USB of the DAC. The newer remastering is a snuck quieter so I had to level match with my Squeezebox, set it at 92%, which was close. The 2009 remasters definitely more snap. First song. Come together. There are cymbals near the end of Come Together that are quiet but present on the CD but completely absent on the 2019 hi-res. I was astonished.

Not sure who did the 2019 remastering, but now listening straight through to I Want You, IMO, the 2009 16/44.1 remaster is totally superior to the Apple 24/96 2019 remaster to my tinnitus infected ears. Would love hear impressions from others.

So now comparing basically the same masters: Let It Be Naked. From 2003. The Apple Music version is 16/44.1. As is the CD ALAC lossless rip. Level matched they are virtually identical.

Now I have a concern with my brand new Topping DAC. The Topping USB input fails after 5-8 minutes. Has happened five times tonight. Just goes silent. While I have been switching to the optical and back a lot to compare sources, I don’t see why this would be an issue. Annoying as heck. And inexcusable for a brand new item. Not the right thread, but anyone have any ideas?

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #752 of 871
More digging.

Comparing Apple 24/96 2019 remastering of Abbey Road vs my 16/44.1 2009 remastered CD lossless rip to ALAC. The iPad is input into the USB of the DAC. The newer remastering is a snuck quieter so I had to level match with my Squeezebox, set it at 92%, which was close. The 2009 remasters definitely more snap. First song. Come together. There are cymbals near the end of Come Together that are quiet but present on the CD but completely absent on the 2019 hi-res. I was astonished.

Not sure who did the 2019 remastering, but now listening straight through to I Want You, IMO, the 2009 16/44.1 remaster is totally superior to the Apple 24/96 2019 remaster to my tinnitus infected ears. Would love hear impressions from others.

So now comparing basically the same masters: Let It Be Naked. From 2003. The Apple Music version is 16/44.1. As is the CD ALAC lossless rip. Level matched they are virtually identical.

Now I have a concern with my brand new Topping DAC. The Topping USB input fails after 5-8 minutes. Has happened five times tonight. Just goes silent. While I have been switching to the optical and back a lot to compare sources, I don’t see why this would be an issue. Annoying as heck. And inexcusable for a brand new item. Not the right thread, but anyone have any ideas?
May be your laptop is going to sleep and USB connection drops off? Does it happen when the song gets over and new one is about to play? Keep laptop screen on and check if the USB still drops

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #753 of 871
Running Apple Lossless via my iPad Touch 2. I think I figured the issue out. The Lightning camera connector/card reader connector coming out of the iPad was set up sideways. The weight of the camera connector and lightning connector pulling down, as the iPad warmed up, may have resulted in the lightning connection to iPad slipping a bit and losing connection.

That is an easy test, will try tonight as I think my return limit is 15 days.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #755 of 871
I've had issues with the lightning connector in the past for data transfers and restarting iphone when connecting to a device. Had to replace a couple and third new one was good. I wasn't using it in this context but always worth a try to try a different adapter to see if that is the issue.

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #756 of 871
More digging.

The 2009 edition of Abbey Road was a remaster, the 2019 was a remix. Comparing apples and oranges, basically.

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #757 of 871
I get that totally. It was more that, obviously depending on your view of which is better, the 2019 remix in hi-res sounded worse to my ears than the 2009 16/44.1 rip I did in plain old lossless. So just because it is hi res doesn’t necessarily mean it is a better reproduction of the music. To my ears, the lossless sounded punchier, more forceful, more detailed than the hi res file. That’s all.

Feb 8, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #758 of 871
So just because it is hi res doesn’t necessarily mean it is a better reproduction of the music.

As the difference between 16/44 and higher sample rates/bit depths is inaudible, it’s always going to come down to either preferences between different masters or bias/placebo.

G

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #759 of 871
Can anyone explain to me what Dolby Atmos on Apple music does? I take you have to have supported hardware or does it do some kind of virtualisation. I know the basics of the protocol as I have Sonos Beam gen. 2 that supports Atmos but I don't intend to listen to music on a soundbar.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #760 of 871
Can anyone explain to me what Dolby Atmos on Apple music does? I take you have to have supported hardware or does it do some kind of virtualisation. I know the basics of the protocol as I have Sonos Beam gen. 2 that supports Atmos but I don't intend to listen to music on a soundbar.
I believe it creates a virtual surround sound. It's not real surround sound, just some programming to trick your brains. It's kind of cool if you actively look for the difference, but by the end of the day, totally forgettable. My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back