Apple EarPods Thread
Nov 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #92 of 419
It seems interesting, more and more cheap IEMs with good sound show up. It seems a good time to say goodbye to the earphones costing hundreds of dollars.

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #93 of 419
From what I know its mostly a change in the housing, the internal drivers are the same??

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #95 of 419
Quote:
Soundstage and imaging are a strength compared to what?
Edit - The M6. Eh...

Well, I guess you can just write it off then.  I don't really care if you hear the EarPods and think they suck; obviously it's a case of IMHO and YMMV.  However, that is the reason I tried to add a very accurate and precise description of the sound and the imaging.

I know that I can hear different instruments separated across different areas in my "headstage."  Therefore, I think I can say that the EarPods exhibit instrument separation = because I literally hear different instruments from different places.  Additionally, I can hear some sounds that appear in the soundstage slightly outside and below my ears.  As previously mentioned, I have actually looked around the room when I was listening to an ambient track from Burial.  Therefore, I think I can say that the EarPods have a wide soundstage for an earbud/iem.  Finally, I can hear stereo imaging (sounds which have been produced to move from side to side) with the EarPods, and the stereo effects move pleasantly through space in an arcing fashion across my skull.  Therefore, I think I can say the EarPods have strong stereo imaging.

IMO.  YMMV.  But this is why I mention the earbud covers and the burn-in.  I really think that some people are not hearing what is being described by those that are enjoying the EarPods full time.  For cross reference= others who joined this thread compared the EarPods quite favorably to the TF10, Etymotics, Westones, and Shures.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #96 of 419
Quote:
I'm on board with most.

These puppies rock. I own a set of Westone UM3X's, used to have UM2's, and have a few lower end MEElectronics... and to be honest, I prefer the these $30 headphones over all of them except the UM3X's (which are $350 headphones).

IMO, I prefer them over my old UM2's which are $200 headphones.

They're just awesome.

Quote:

The earpods are pretty warm and a little dark. The TF10 has more treble energy which IMO makes them sound like detail monsters. I am hearing things on the earpods that I am missing on the TF10s and IE80s. Definitely an "out of head" experience. Soundstage is better than any IEM I've listened to. They fit particularly well in my ears. I bought two more pairs in case Apple screws up later iterations!

They blow away the TF10 for rock/vocals. The best analogy I can make to headphones is that they sound like the IEM/bud equivalent of an "open" D2000.

I think some audiophiles can't reconcile that something can sound this good at this price. If they were $99 they would be FOTM*10.

^^notice, "out-of-head" experience.  I agree; caveat = on songs that are well recorded.
etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #97 of 419
Quote:

earpods have same driver as the ibuds?

No.  I found this from Apple:
So Apple acousticians re-engineered an earbud speaker diaphragm with both rigid and flexible materials to minimize sound loss and maximize sound output. Adding to the superior audio quality are strategically placed acoustic vents.

The full article is here (you have to scroll down):
http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #98 of 419
interesting, maybe i will get to really try out a pair of earpods one day. this sentence below taken from the website intrigues me.

The overall audio quality of Apple EarPods is so impressive, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more.

and btw, my friend whos thinking of getting the m50 is curious about how the earpods compare with it. any impressions guys?

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #99 of 419
All I can say is, I'm really enjoying them right now. I'm listening to Joe Satriani and Steve Morse, it sounds amazing! The EarPods seem especially good with electric guitars, overdrive and reverb always sounds perfect. It's very dynamic and involving. And yes, the imaging is still wonderful!

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #100 of 419
They are honestly quite good. I say go try them out. You should be able to return them to the apple store within 30 days if you don't like 'em.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #102 of 419
Quote:
I have the Earpods and like them. I need to burn them in more. Sorry for coming across like such a jerk. :)

Cool, sorry that I sound like I own stock 
biggrin.gif
 and I have found there are some tunes that sound terribly stacked and vertical for some reason, but most songs still sound great.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #103 of 419
Quote:
interesting, maybe i will get to really try out a pair of earpods one day. this sentence below taken from the website intrigues me.

The overall audio quality of Apple EarPods is so impressive, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more.

and btw, my friend whos thinking of getting the m50 is curious about how the earpods compare with it. any impressions guys?

This would be a cool comparison, hopefully someone here has both!

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #104 of 419
The M50 and the Earpods sound nothing alike. Nothing. Going from memory, the M50s are bassier with more recessed mids and a less airy and open sound. Of course, we're comparing an earbud to a full-size can that has a completely different signature

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #105 of 419
The M50 and the Earpods sound nothing alike. Nothing. Going from memory, the M50s are bassier with more recessed mids and a less airy and open sound. Of course, we're comparing an earbud to a full-size can that has a completely different signature

Didn't say they are alike but if the earpods can beat the m50 in sound quality then my friend who's thinking about getting the m50 can save some money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back