Apogee Mini Dac or...?
Jun 10, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit confused by Apogees information sheet. On their spec sheet they state that the regular Mini-DAC takes a USB input. But in their blurp advertizing cost they state that USB and Firewire are optional. But then they only seem to have a Firewire version as the only upgrade.

Is the $795 "regular" Mini-DAC inputed via S/PDIF (of these three choises USB. Firewire, and S/PDIF)? Does the Firewire option include USB?

Is Firewire sonically superior to USB and S/PDIF, especially in regards to reduced jitter?

there are three mini dacs: standard, usb, firewire. all have s/pdif. the usb is from my understanding not being discontinued, at least for now, but will be sold in more limited supplies. from talks with apogee, there should be no to little difference between usb and firewire for people using the mini dac for non studio recording/playback purposes.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the internal headphone amp of the mini dac is good enough to get you by, but regardless of what headphones you are using, i would not want it to be my only headphone amp in the long term, especially if my main headphones were the k701, dt880, or hd650 which all, in my opinion, require above average amplication to sound their best.

yes, i understand.
the main question were if in the short term they (K701 and DT880) were audible with just the mini DAC

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i understand.
the main question were if in the short term they (K701 and DT880) were audible with just the mini DAC

"audible." not sure what you mean exactly. but you can use the mini dac with any headphone and it will work fine, but so will an ipod.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

yes, i understand.

The headphone amp is plenty strong for either. According to my calculations, it can supply 600mW to your K701 (enough for over 123dB) and 300mW to your DT880 (enough for over 126dB).

As far as quality goes, it's really quite good. The only audible limitation I can detect is a flattening of soundstage depth (as compared to an amp like the GS-1). So unless you feel the need/want to spend $700+ on a better solid-state amp, a balanced amp, or just really want some tube coloration, you should be pretty set with the Apogee's amp (as long as you're not trying to drive K1000's
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone amp is plenty strong for either. According to my calculations, it can supply 600mW to your K701 (enough for over 123dB) and 300mW to your DT880 (enough for over 126dB).

As far as quality goes, it's really quite good. The only audible limitation I can detect is a flattening of soundstage depth (as compared to an amp like the GS-1). So unless you feel the need/want to spend $700+ on a better solid-state amp, a balanced amp, or just really want some tube coloration, you should be pretty set with the Apogee's amp (as long as you're not trying to drive K1000's
biggrin.gif
)

THanks man!!
really!!

that's what I was trying to hear from a long time!

I guess I'll go with MiniDAC, and then in the future buy some good amp to plug to mini DAC

(just one question that nobody seems to answer too, if I buy an amp like, say, the gilmore lite, to plug to miniDAC would it "loose" SQ because it's not in Mini DAC's $$$ line? - or it will just take advange in the good sound that mini dac provides it?)

Cheers!

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

T
(just one question that nobody seems to answer too, if I buy an amp like, say, the gilmore lite, to plug to miniDAC would it "loose" SQ because it's not in Mini DAC's $$$ line? - or it will just take advange in the good sound that mini dac provides it?)

Cheers!

gilmore lite might not be a big step up from miniDAC. i would save up for a bigger one..

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #52 of 53
hello, would apogee mini-dac be significantly better than matrix mini-i? Because I have an opportunity to buy one, that is not much more expensive than new matrix. I know that they both have the same chip AD1955.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back