Apocalyptic RPG recommendations thread!
May 21, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #16 of 29
There was one called Arcanum (?) or something like that that was set in a Steam-Punk setting... fairly similar.

Fallout 2 was a wonderful game. Great plot line, enjoyable game play etc. probably dragged a little in the end, but beyond that perfect.

Shadowrun! Ah I'd forgotten about that. The video game that pushed me (for a few years at least) into the world of pen and paper RPGs. Great stuff indeed!

May 21, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #17 of 29
If you're looking for even BETTER gameplay of the same nature, try Jagged Alliance 2 if you can find it. Crouching, stealth, prone, running, and a whole squad of mercenaries. It's not post apocalyptic though. I'm still waiting for a turn based squad based tactics game to beat JA2. Silent Storm was ok, if you'd like a WW2 game with this kind of gameplay, but it doesn't quite stand up to JA2. Though I did like the way sniping worked.

May 21, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #18 of 29
If you want games that kind of have Fallout's gameplay, then the Baldur's Gate series will work well enough, but be aware that it involves more complex combat and a whole lot of sidequests. Come to think of it, any single-player BioWare RPG should work all right for someone suffering Fallout withdrawal. Planescape: Torment is nice if you love dialogue.

Fallout's STYLE is another matter, though. I've played a few other post-apocalyptic RPGs with varying views of what constitutes an apocalypse (I'd say Shadowrun qualifies, heh), and none of them manage to do what Fallout does quite as well. If only #3 hadn't been cancelled.. enh, well.

Enverxis, spoilers
frown.gif

May 21, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
There was one called Arcanum (?) or something like that that was set in a Steam-Punk setting... fairly similar.

Arcanum! That was the name of it! Only read about it, though.

May 22, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 29
Baldur's Gate was a great game, no question. I'm just not into the sword/sorcery type thing as much as the post-apocalyptic setting.

Has anyone seen or heard of the freeware game Abaddon? I saw the website for it, and it seems like the programmer boosted the Fallout engine (and the graphics, too). Curious if anyone played it and has any thoughts on it.

Svperstar, I asked my bro about Shadowrun for the Genesis. He has it, so I'm going to "borrow" it from him and check it out. If it's as good as you suggest, there goes all my free-time for a bit
icon10.gif

May 22, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 29
Planescape: Torment. Written by the same folks who wrote Fallout, I believe. Absolutely hands-down best computer RPG ever (yes, better than Fallout). Takes place in the D&D Planescape universe -- not at ALL the sort of usual swords/mage/trolls/dragons D&D stuff. More like demons/garbage cities/grave robbers/"intellectual whores" (succubi who are paid to discuss haute matters!)/robots/mutants. Unbelievable storyline that uses amnesia and paranoia better than pretty much anything else I've seen, read, or played. Kinda hard to find these days, though, since it's quite old.

May 22, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #22 of 29
Actually, Planescape torment is a very popular bargain bin item. Any Fry's electronics or maybe even Best buy or maybe even Electronics Boutique should have it in their $5-10 section. No one else's played Jagged Alliance 2? If you liked the tactics of fallout, but want to take it up to an entirely new level, you've gotta try JA2. Actually, I think JA2 is older than fallout, but anywho.

May 22, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #23 of 29
Silent Storm is a nice game also, technically not an RPG and not post-apocalyptic either, but my friend who is a Fallout fan loves this game aswell, as the combat is nearly identical.

May 22, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #24 of 29
Silent Storm based its combat engine almost exactly on Jagged Alliance 2, which is why I was so hyped about Silent Storm for years. Both are worth checking out.

May 24, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #25 of 29
my nickname for planescape is 'scrollscape'.

though the fallout series is more immediately playable and arguably more 'fun', i agree that planescape as a whole has a deeper universe and overall experience. planescape plays almost more like an adventure game at times than a computer RPG.

dark sun 1 was the best of the apocalyptic gold box games of old, but the dialogue along with the graphics has not aged well.

and yes some of us have played JA2 (and JA one, the talkie version), but one must stretch the definitions of apocalyptic and RPG to include them.

wasteland is worth a play just for historical purposes.

May 24, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #26 of 29
You don't think it's a good recommendation? If it's the gameplay you like...

May 24, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #27 of 29
Shocked nobody has mentioned Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for the PS2 yet. This one, after the first half hour or so, is wholely post-apocalyptic, and is certainly one of the darker games I've ever played. Dark atmosphere and characters, great music, five or so possible endings. Good stuff.

The other recommendation I can think of for PS2 titles is Shadow Hearts 1&2 -- you can pick up SH2 without playing SH1, as the latter does a decent job of giving back story behind the SH1 adventure. A few events and character motives might not be clear, though. SH2 follows the bad ending from SH1, if that gives you any idea the mood of the game. The backdrop of the game is set below the events of WW1, and weaves a fictional tale that actually uses prime players in WW1 as characters/enemies. Good stuff.

May 24, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #28 of 29
It doesn't fit your exact bill, but I can't speak highly enough of planescape torment. One of the best RPGs ever created easily.

May 25, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #29 of 29
Thanks for all the recommendations. My first step will be to find Planescape, I've read great things about it on other boards, as well as here. Some of the others will follow.

Beilin, I finished Wasteland for the second time about a month ago. It was the best game I ever played back when it was released, and it's one of the better ones even today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back