Apheared Portable amp for Senn HD555? Can't Decide...
Jan 12, 2006 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mozhoven

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've got a Toshiba Gigabeat F40 and for headphones I've got Senn HD555's and Shure Ec2s.

I'm looking for a good amp with good bass output (Not overly exagerrated, but powerful and detailed) that is also portable. Money is an issue and I've found this one for $60US. That's about my limit.

http://www.evilfire.com/apheared/

What do you guys think?

It's not a Cmoy, but rather an Apheared. It's made escpecially for Grados and the like, but says it should work for all makes. Is this what I should be looking at?

Honestly I've had some trouble making up my mind between the two....
confused.gif

Please help a newbie understand portable amps.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 7
I've found tins a bit 'iffy' because they flex and can cause problems. Have a loot at the Pocket amp from Electric Avenues, the wonderful Go Vibe or the Porta Corda III with crossfeed built in. I have found them all to sound extremely good.

Ian

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 7
The Porta Corda III is way out of my price range, but the $79 Go-Gibe V4 is do-able.

So you would recommend that over the Cmoy or Apheared Amps?

Is that recommendation based only on construction/durability or in terms of sound quality?

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 7
The Go-Vibe is extremely well built. One of the best, smoothest volume pots on any amp at this price level with rolling op amp too. It sounds terrific and works on a 9v battery.

One of my favourites.

Ian

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Which opamp options do you recommend for it?

OPA2227 op-amp$5
AD8397 op-amp$8
AD8066 op-amp$9
AD8620 op-amp$18

It comes with the OP285GS op-amp.

I'm really new to this so I need a little guidance. I would like nice, nice bass to go with my Senn HD555's, but not at the expense of my midrange and highs
(a perfect world right?)

Jan 13, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 7
The AD8397 is not really suited for portable use, but that would probably sound the best for a HD555. I have the same headphones and I just ordered a Go-Vibe v4 myself. Norm said the AD8397 would be a good choice. They use a lot of power though, so your batteries won't last that long. And they have to be soldered on the board, so you'd be stuck with that op-amp. Just e-mail Norm and ask him what he thinks.

The PA2V2 might be a better match for you anyway. The Go-Vibe needs a decent DC Adaptor and the price doesn't include shipping, so you'll need at least $100. The PA2V2 is said to have quite a bit of bass and would probably drive low impedance headphones better than the Go-Vibe, unless you were to use the AD8397 op-amp. The PA2V2 is $69 including shipping.

Jan 13, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 7
I bought to my limit for the HD555's and would like to do the same for the amp. I can swing $120 but no more - does that make a difference?

In terms of sound quality alone (and if $40+ weren't an issue)....
which would be the best choice??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back