AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 25, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #3,121 of 4,614
Hidizs ap80 vs shanling m0 in terms of sound? I prefer neutral sound with no coloration

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3,122 of 4,614
Testing the latest 2.0 beta firmware for the AP80, I notice that playlists are still broken. There's a playlist with no name and no songs, which I can't delete. If I try to delete it, it actually deletes the playlist below it. This was also present in the previous 1.2 beta firmware, the 1.1 beta, and the 1.0.1 beta.

I know that Hiby has at best antipathy toward playlists, but they worked better in the 1.0 firmware.

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #3,123 of 4,614
I just received mine and installed 2.0 firmware beta. After buying the Shanling M0 and Fiio M5, I am now satisfied, as the AP80 does several important things that the M0 or M5 don't (or don't do them all). For me, this allows my Hugo 2 to become a DAP, using the player as the storage/display and Hugo as the DAC.

Two critical features The AP80 has:
1. Serving as a BT transport - being able too stream from a phone over BT and being able to connect the AP80 to a dap via USBC.
2. HIBY Link - able to control the player from a phone. I can keep the Hugo 2 and AP80 in a pocket and change music without having to pull out the M0/M5/AP80, which are connected with a cord.

Other wonderful positives are not limited to the increase in the touch screen/display, a very robust OS, FM tuner, etc. I'm very happy with this.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #3,124 of 4,614
I just received mine and installed 2.0 firmware beta. After buying the Shanling M0 and Fiio M5, I am now satisfied, as the AP80 does several important things that the M0 or M5 don't (or don't do them all). For me, this allows my Hugo 2 to become a DAP, using the player as the storage/display and Hugo as the DAC.

Two critical features The AP80 has:
1. Serving as a BT transport - being able too stream from a phone over BT and being able to connect the AP80 to a dap via USBC.
2. HIBY Link - able to control the player from a phone. I can keep the Hugo 2 and AP80 in a pocket and change music without having to pull out the M0/M5/AP80, which are connected with a cord.

Other wonderful positives are not limited to the increase in the touch screen/display, a very robust OS, FM tuner, etc. I'm very happy with this.

You sold N8 and Opus#2, and got AP80 instead :wink: Yeah, i know, i know, to use as a transport for H2. Waiting to receive AP80 copper as well, though I had their original prototype for over a year. Curious how the new copper one will compare to M0 and R3, when I get my hands on it. But the main reason I was looking forward to AP80 is to use as a wireless transport for R2R2000 Red (using it as a wireless DAC/amp). M0 display is too small and no hw control buttons. R3 is a bit too big for this. AP80 display size is just perfect and it's probably the smallest touch screen dap with hw control buttons.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #3,125 of 4,614
M0 also works as BT transport, just too bad it takes so long for our app to come out :frowning2:

You sold N8 and Opus#2, and got AP80 instead :wink: Yeah, i know, i know, to use as a transport for H2. Waiting to receive AP80 copper as well, though I had their original prototype for over a year. Curious how the new copper one will compare to M0 and R3, when I get my hands on it. But the main reason I was looking forward to AP80 is to use as a wireless transport for R2R2000 Red (using it as a wireless DAC/amp). M0 display is too small and no hw control buttons. R3 is a bit too big for this. AP80 display size is just perfect and it's probably the smallest touch screen dap with hw control buttons.
Ha ha...yeah I sold one of the best daps available to end up with some of the smallest.

Do you have an eta for the copper one, and what it will cost?

I'm super curious to hear your thoughts on the R2R2000!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #3,126 of 4,614
Have been a lurker here for years but finally got my arse to register for an account.

I saw many negative and also positive comments about AP80 but my experience with this small and functional player has been positive so far.

Been enjoying this portable and great sounding DAP so far and hopefully it doesn’t fail me anytime soon!

I mostly listen to FLAC files burnt from my CD collections and been pairing AP80 with my BGVP DM6 and Audio Technica ATH-M50x (paired with FiiO BTA10 for wireless Bluetooth listening).

So far so good!

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #3,127 of 4,614
I don't know if any of you guys could chime in. Just started to use bluetooth dongles connected to headphones with the AP80 (coincidentally it was shortly after i've upgraded to FW 2.0 beta). I know its not the best way to appreciate the AP80 sound quality but I enjoy the convenience (especially while doing the dishes in the evening - in fact i just blu tack the dongle to the side my removable cable modded Grado SR80e - basically going wireless). Unfortunately I've noticed that with both dongles (one over SBC and the other over APTX) I own i'm just getting mono sound. Since the issue is with both bluetooth dongles the culprit must be the AP80. Have any of you guys noticed anything similar? Is the problem only with FW 2.0 beta or also with earlier versions?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #3,129 of 4,614
Just snagged this player and can't stop listening to it. This is my first new DAP since buying my Sansa Clip+ many years ago. I can't believe the details I'm hearing in my music that I didn't know were there. Even low bit rate files are a new experience with my wired earphones. Haven't tried running through a headphone amp for my HD 650's yet, though.
However, the bluetooth function is dropping the connection with my wireless IEM's and my radio in my vehicle. Can anyone explain in simple terms how the devil I get that new firmware onto the player? I don't understand unzipping RAR files, etc.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #3,130 of 4,614
Just snagged this player and can't stop listening to it. This is my first new DAP since buying my Sansa Clip+ many years ago. I can't believe the details I'm hearing in my music that I didn't know were there. Even low bit rate files are a new experience with my wired earphones. Haven't tried running through a headphone amp for my HD 650's yet, though.
However, the bluetooth function is dropping the connection with my wireless IEM's and my radio in my vehicle. Can anyone explain in simple terms how the devil I get that new firmware onto the player? I don't understand unzipping RAR files, etc.
Download and install 7zip (Or another tool to uncompress combined files like .zip and .rar) Link for the Windows 64Bit Version here https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1900-x64.exe

When that downloads, double click on it from your file manager. It will self install.
Then go to the .RAR that you want to uncompress in your File Manager. RIGHT Click on the file name, and you'll get a popup. HOver over 7zip and you'll get a drop down menu. Select Extract Here. And the files will be extracted from the .rar file. You should see a new Folder show up in the same folder that you have the rar file in. Inside that new folder will be the update file and an instruction file.
Move the UPDATE.UPT file to your SD Card on the Root or main directory, not in any folder. Insert the SD card into your AP80. Will either auto update, Or go to System Settings/Firmware update to manually start the update.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #3,131 of 4,614
  • Big upgrade over clip +. I bet you’re loving it, besides the small gripes about the firmware it is a great sounding player especially for the price

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #3,132 of 4,614
Well, I've been trying to figure this firmware update out for a couple of hours. The player always tells me that there is no update available. Oh, well. Sure was hoping that the new software would cure the bluetooth dropouts.

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #3,133 of 4,614
Well, I've been trying to figure this firmware update out for a couple of hours. The player always tells me that there is no update available. Oh, well. Sure was hoping that the new software would cure the bluetooth dropouts.
Update probably does not improve bluetooth...
Where are you getting stuck with updating the firmware???

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #3,135 of 4,614
1) This is the name of the ZIP file that I downloaded for the firmware upgrade. Is this the same one you downloaded? AP80 V2.0 FIRMWARE-20190819T153122Z-001.zip
2) When you "unzip" that file, you should get a folder called " AP80 V2.0 FIRMWARE "
3) These are the files you will wind inside that folder: AP80 2.0 Beta Firmware.docx 7KB in size. Second file is update.upt and it is 53,730KB in size dated 8/14/19

If you can't find the folder. Do you know how to do a file search? Search for update.upt. Look for the file that is 53,730KB.

ONLY that update,upt file should be on the root directory of the micro-sd card. (I recommend that the Microsd card be formatted FAT32)
- Delete any other update files from the microSD card.
Insert the card into the AP80. Start the AP80. It should ask if you want to update firmware. Select YES. If it's not automatic, then manually update from System Settings that you will see when you start the AP80, and swipe you finger to the left...

Am trying to be as complete, and simple as I can be! Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back