Anything else that offers the comfort level of the Bose AE2?
Mar 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Max Power

New Head-Fier

Yes, I know Bose is considered a joke among audiophiles, but I really love the comfort of these things. Bose is one of the few brands you can actually try on in a store somewhere which is a big advantage IMO. I previously bought the Denon D1000 based on recommendations from this board, but I didn’t find them as comfortable as most people seemed to. They clamping force is just a little too much, but I think the main problem is that the cups aren’t quite big enough to go all the war around my ear. Either the top or bottom is always squeezing my ear against my head which becomes uncomfortable after a while. I guess I have big ears? :frowning2:

Here is exactly what I am looking for… maybe headfi can help. A good set of portable, closed, around ear headphones that don’t need an amp (I will be listening through an iPod or laptop). Comfort is my #1 priority. Noise isolation or cancellation isn’t that important. I want good audio quality obviously, but I will be listening to more talk (radio, podcasts, audiobooks) than music, so I am really more concerned about comfort. I will be wearing these things 6+ hours per day. The smaller/lighter they are, the better… but they must fit all the way around my ear. Looking to spend $150 or less. If the Bose are the most comfortable I can get, I don’t mind paying the premium for the name.

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 5
I think you may want to look at the JVC HAS700 as they are pretty much a clone of the Bose. I have worn them for hours on end.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS700-Portable-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013OWPVO

I also like the JVC Flat for a portable comfortable headphone but they pretty small on ear style.

In your situation, for listening to podcasts and audiobooks I usually listen through a pair of Bose In Ears. I agree that when comfort is more important than isolation or sound quality Bose is appropriate.

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I think you may want to look at the JVC HAS700 as they are pretty much a clone of the Bose. I have worn them for hours on end.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS700-Portable-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013OWPVO

I also like the JVC Flat for a portable comfortable headphone but they pretty small on ear style.

In your situation, for listening to podcasts and audiobooks I usually listen through a pair of Bose In Ears. I agree that when comfort is more important than isolation or sound quality Bose is appropriate.

Thanks, I was not aware of that model… it does indeed look close to what I am after. Do you have any idea if the cup size is bigger or smaller than the Bose? I wish manufacturers would list the cup dimensions. I want to make sure they go all the way around my ears.

I was also considering the IE2 because everyone says they are so comfortable. I have several pairs of earbuds, but I’m not sure I would want any of them in my ears for 6+ hours per day. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I can't give you the dimensions but my ears fit completely inside the cup. I don't think the cups are quite as deep as the Bose. They actually are about the same size as the Bose QC15. I own the Bose IE not the IE 2 but I did buy some of the new "Stay Hear" tips. They fit the original but I did not really care for them. The original tips worked fine for me. 6 hours is a long time for continuous use on any set but the only discomfort I have had with the In Ear is when I am laying down and putting pressure against my ears. I have walked around with them in and the music or audio book stopped and forgot that they were there. With that much use I would most likely be concerned about the cord as it is long, thin, rubbery, and tends to snag on stuff. They also made this really bad decision to put an "authenticity chip" on the cable a few inches from the plug that prevents effective wrapping of the cable. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back