Anyone try the kenwood mg-f516?
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:

Just for your info, WAV is not loseless, it is uncompressed !

you can use wikipedia to know which one is loseless and uncompressed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_file_format

flac, klac, alac, wma loseless, atrac, etc are loseless , wav is uncompressed.
and what he asked is loseless not uncompressed, many people prefer loseless for now because it save your storage by about 1/2-1/3 than WAV

Don't mean to argue with you

As far as I knew, Lossless means no detail is missed from sources files, so basically all ape/flac/ wav are loseless.

WAV is actually lossless uncompressed, while ape / flac is lossless compressed, the difference is compressed or not

Take a look this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_data_compression#Audio

What is loseless?

Audio

1. Waveform audio format - WAV
  2. Free Lossless Audio Codec – FLAC
  3. Apple Lossless – ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)
  4. apt-X Lossless
  5. ATRAC Advanced Lossless
  6. Audio Lossless Coding – also known as MPEG-4 ALS
  7. MPEG-4 SLS – also known as HD-AAC
  8. Direct Stream Transfer – DST
  9. Dolby TrueHD
  10. DTS-HD Master Audio
  11. Meridian Lossless Packing – MLP
  12. Monkey's Audio – Monkey's Audio APE
  13. OptimFROG
  14. RealPlayerRealAudio Lossless
  15. Shorten – SHN
  16. TTA – True Audio Lossless
  17. WavPack – WavPack lossless
  18. WMA Lossless – Windows Media Lossless

Hope it clarify for you.

Cheers

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 31

Quote:

F516 does support WAV, but not ape, flac, so as the old HD series which I owned.

About linout, as far as I know, it auto detect the input of amp and fix the volume at max as you said, so you need a amp which is able to control volume.

SQ is good,  but not on par with old HD series which I think it is best SQ I have even listened to

http://www.kenwood.co.jp/products/home_audio/personal/mg_f516_508_504/index.html

I can't read Japanese as well, just search WAV in above page, you will know it does support

Quote:
That is why you sold me S:FLO2 ^^

How about line out? Have you tried it yet?

Quote:
copy paste from chinese forum

[size=9pt] KENWOOD flash new machine F504 have LINE OUT! Thrust is no longer a cup with.[/size]

Noon break back to the company, nothing else to the Little Dot M + amp plug on the F504, try effectiveness, and then find they can not adjust the volume, and is surprised, and then find the volume of F504 was transferred to the maximum, and written beside the Fixed! ! F504 can automatically detect the amplification circuit? ? ? ? True too strong, a port can switch between the PO with the LO! ! We Come to confirm my view it!
On the map, note that the maximum volume, next to the written FIXED

i hope whoever own this unit, please test it if it is a real line out or not

@gameboy: wouldve kept it if it had 40 hours of batt life

@a_tumiwa: actually i dont own any amps but i just bought ibasso t3. Should i buy an extra line out dock for it or is it supplied on the t3 package?

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #18 of 31
Calm down you guys!  
smile_phones.gif

Anyway, I think that Kenwoods sound great even with mp3 songs at 192kbps and even better (more full sound) at higher bitrates. So for me mp3 is enough on my Kenwood (and other DAP:s)

How about the JVC/Victor players? They seem more difficult to find than Kenwood flash player.

Anyone tried the Alneo XA V80?

Here at Rakuten

A thread about it

Another thread about JVC/Victor DAP:s

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Calm down you guys!  
smile_phones.gif

Anyway, I think that Kenwoods sound great even with mp3 songs at 192kbps and even better (more full sound) at higher bitrates. So for me mp3 is enough on my Kenwood (and other DAP:s)

How about the JVC/Victor players? They seem more difficult to find than Kenwood flash player.

Anyone tried the Alneo XA V80?

Here at Rakuten

A thread about it

Another thread about JVC/Victor DAP:s

I agree with you. Kenwood B9 sounded great even playing MP3, but playing loseless widen soundstage and resolution to next level.

V80 is pretty vocal oriented with less soundstage than Kenwood, one good thing of it is the unique EQ system which walks you through with a few custom tests, and twist sounds automatically to suit your taste after that.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
@gameboy: wouldve kept it if it had 40 hours of batt life

@a_tumiwa: actually i dont own any amps but i just bought ibasso t3. Should i buy an extra line out dock for it or is it supplied on the t3 package?

I want to chime in to answer you line out question, you need quality mini to mini (3.5m to 3.5m) cable which most likely won't be included in T3 package.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
I agree with you. Kenwood B9 sounded great even playing MP3, but playing loseless widen soundstage and resolution to next level.

V80 is pretty vocal oriented with less soundstage than Kenwood, one good thing of it is the unique EQ system which walks you through with a few custom tests, and twist sounds automatically to suit your taste after that.

Perhaps I should consider myself lucky since for me LAME MP3 encoded at VBR0 is pretty much transparent. Then I do not need to worry about lossless formats when I look at new DAP:s...
I have compared songs on my computer - the wav version I ripped off a CD with Exact Audio Copy and the mp3 encoded version and I cannot hear any noticeable differences. I have not tried it on any DAP thought but it ought to be the same as on my computer.

The XA V80 seems interesting. I am thinking about buying its predecessor XA HD 500. I agree that it is strange that Japanese DAP:s (excluding Sony) are not considered as much as Chinese ones. One reason thought might be that a lot of Japanese DAP:s are only released in Japan...

@2rooi123 - look at the Rakuten links that Gameboy115 posted. They might ship to the Philippines.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #26 of 31

Quote:

Perhaps I should consider myself lucky since for me LAME MP3 encoded at VBR0 is pretty much transparent. Then I do not need to worry about lossless formats when I look at new DAP:s...
I have compared songs on my computer - the wav version I ripped off a CD with Exact Audio Copy and the mp3 encoded version and I cannot hear any noticeable differences. I have not tried it on any DAP thought but it ought to be the same as on my computer.

The XA V80 seems interesting. I am thinking about buying its predecessor XA HD 500. I agree that it is strange that Japanese DAP:s (excluding Sony) are not considered as much as Chinese ones. One reason thought might be that a lot of Japanese DAP:s are only released in Japan...

@2rooi123 - look at the Rakuten links that Gameboy115 posted. They might ship to the Philippines.

It is all good, guess we all have different ears. Even in computer with on board sound card, I can hear some difference between 320mp3 and WAV with UM3X on. Pretty sad for a stranded student with demanding taste which can not be satisfied by going for higher end stuff

Shame Japanese market tactics seems to ignore world instead of focusing itself, in fact Japan market is big enough to support a company already, so they do not have enough motivation to push market

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:

It is all good, guess we all have different ears. Even in computer with on board sound card, I can hear some difference between 320mp3 and WAV with UM3X on. Pretty sad for a stranded student with demanding taste which can not be satisfied by going for higher end stuff

Shame Japanese market tactics seems to ignore world instead of focusing itself, in fact Japan market is big enough to support a company already, so they do not have enough motivation to push market

Well, I do have to admit that I did try a burned CD-R with lower bitrate (around 192) on my old stereo and then it did not sound as "full" as the regular CD. So I might hear a difference on descent stereo speakers but not so much with head phones on a laptop or mp3 player. I played guitar in a band for almost 10 year so I have a good ear for music and picking out melodies on guitar, but on the other hand loud metal music might have damaged my hearing a bit even if I used earplugs. Well well. I still enjoy my music.

Yeah, you are correct that the Japanese market is big enough for companies to not need to go abroad with their products. Sadly that is a loss for people who live outside of Japan and can only get those products with difficulty...

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #28 of 31

Quote:

Well, I do have to admit that I did try a burned CD-R with lower bitrate (around 192) on my old stereo and then it did not sound as "full" as the regular CD. So I might hear a difference on descent stereo speakers but not so much with head phones on a laptop or mp3 player. I played guitar in a band for almost 10 year so I have a good ear for music and picking out melodies on guitar, but on the other hand loud metal music might have damaged my hearing a bit even if I used earplugs. Well well. I still enjoy my music.

Yeah, you are correct that the Japanese market is big enough for companies to not need to go abroad with their products. Sadly that is a loss for people who live outside of Japan and can only get those products with difficulty...

I have to admit I can't pick up the difference between mp3 and WAV all along, it really comes to how good recording is, also most of time it sounds very decent for mp3 if I don't pay attention to detail in quiet place.

Sometimes keeping all collection with loseless files is just placebo more than practical move for me

Back to Japan player, I definitely trust it would sounds better than S:FLO2, there are always some hidden player around market which never discovered by people in N. America since it just goes through too much trouble to import one

I owned a portable recorder called Korg MR-1( japan product) which still sits at the top of neutrality ranking I have ever listened to, but it is hard to believe it could lasts 1.8 hrs before it drains out of battery, the flaws is just too big to cover its merit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back