Anyone still loving their Bayer DT 880 ??
Feb 8, 2004 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

krafty

Head-Fier
Hi everyone. Yep, it's my first post. I've been reading this forum for a few months and have learned a great deal of information from the posts and the search function. My wallet thanks you
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm putting together a starter set-up. I just got a Philips 763 SACD and have the new Larocco Pocket Ref. on the way. I now need to decide on some phones to finish the deal.

I really want to hear some long term user opinions of the 880's. I love the look and the expected comfort. The only other phones I have heard are some Grado 60's that I use with a sony portable. I don't really find them overly bright if that helps. I am not really interested in the hd600's at this point cause I want the 650's, which I will get later this year. The only other phone I am looking at right now is the K271's with an aftermarket cable.

Thanks for any info.

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by krafty
Hi everyone. Yep, it's my first post. I've been reading this forum for a few months and have learned a great deal of information from the posts and the search function. My wallet thanks you
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm putting together a starter set-up. I just got a Philips 763 SACD and have the new Larocco Pocket Ref. on the way. I now need to decide on some phones to finish the deal.

I really want to hear some long term user opinions of the 880's. I love the look and the expected comfort. The only other phones I have heard are some Grado 60's that I use with a sony portable. I don't really find them overly bright if that helps. I am not really interested in the hd600's at this point cause I want the 650's, which I will get later this year. The only other phone I am looking at right now is the K271's with an aftermarket cable.

Thanks for any info.

Comfort is amazing, sound is amazing, but you need good equipment to back them up. I'm shopping for a new source/amp right now because I think they're capable of much more than I'm hearing with what I've got now.

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 18
I have the SR80s too and the DT880s are much much better sounding. Here's a quick list of differences I noticed:

1. Much more detail with the DT880s. I didn't realize how much my SR80s were hiding until I got my DT880s. This can be a little annoying at times though, some of my less well mastered CDs have become difficult to listen to. When I built my PIMETA, I could never hear the difference between different opamps with the SR80s (I came to the conclusion that opamp sound signature was bunk), but with the DT880s the differences are immediately obvious.

2. Much more bass. I listen to a lot of classical, and some of the tracks have bass going down to 10 hz or so. I never could hear this
(well, feel it really) on my SR80s but now I can feel my head shaking on drum hits and deep organ notes. Great impact too for the stuff I can hear (25 hz and above).

3. Soundstage. Huge soundstage. I really can't describe it.

4. More analytical and less colored. Sometimes the SR80s are fun to listen to because they make some less well recorded tracks exciting. The SR80s are much more colored, which can be grand in some cases, but overall I enjoy the accurate nature of the DT880s more.

Feb 8, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 18
I still love mine. I also have a pair of SR-60s that I still use, mainly for when I want to kick back and enjoy the warm colouration they present.

The 880s are very neutral headphones in my opinion. They present a very high level of detail without overemphasizing any frequency range. This can lead to them being analytical as ADS pointed out, but this isn't ever distracting to me.

They are very comfortable, but I always have a hard time getting them in a position that feels "right". It may just be my head or something, but I can never seem to get each driver positioned the same. Once I get them on and good, they're very comfortable until the headband starts burning on my head, but not everyone experiences that.

They're a very good headphone to have, especially as you upgrade your sources, etc. They'll let you hear every change
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 18
I agree with the guys above, they are extremely comfortable, and even though I tend to use my etys most of the time, my 880s are a permanent part of my collection. I love the sound, especially paired with my Corda amp.

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 18
Having had a pair of DT880s on loan for 6 weeks, I can say that in principle, yes they sound good, but they do need some seriously meaty amplification to sound their best... something that I don't have...

In my opinion, basically you'd need to follow the same principles as you would for high-end Sennheisers
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 18
They are very much 'reference' phones. Overt detail, extended range, and comfy too. The nearest thing you'll get to an Ety in a headphone format.

Comments made about good (or rather powerful) amplification are relevant. If the DT880 isn't performing as well or better than an Ety the chances are you are not amping them at their best.

They add little, take little away and do make the most of the abilities of most systems for critical listening. The only issue I have is the curly cable which is not really relevant for a hi-fi phone.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
The only issue I have is the curly cable which is not really relevant for a hi-fi phone.

It's silly, but that's why I haven't picked up a pair yet, that cord is just too inconveninet.

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 18
I agree with all above...I've had mine for about 6 months now, and truly love them. They don't really do it for me when it comes to rock or anything else electronic...but you get some softer rock or especially jazz or classical and these things are divine. I've got the good amplification they need, and it makes all the difference in the world. While I've never tried any Senns (they were next in line once I decided I had used up my budget) I have either had or still have DT531, AKG 271s, Shure e3c, ATH-A900, and a number of lower price phones as well...which I've stopped using altogether. For 90% of the music I like listening to on headphones, the DT880s are unquestionably my top choice.

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
They are very much 'reference' phones. Overt detail, extended range, and comfy too. The nearest thing you'll get to an Ety in a headphone format.

Comments made about good (or rather powerful) amplification are relevant. If the DT880 isn't performing as well or better than an Ety the chances are you are not amping them at their best.

They add little, take little away and do make the most of the abilities of most systems for critical listening. The only issue I have is the curly cable which is not really relevant for a hi-fi phone.

would a super mini be adequate to make the 880 blossom. If it sounds like the er4 its gotta be good.

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 18
Eh... they sound like the music went through steel wool before reaching my ears. I have no love for the beyers i've heard so far. (990's, 880's, 770's) A few meets ago i tried 880's on just about every amp trying to give them a chance but with no luck. They just sound way too metallic. I mean... even worse than k1000's which are pretty bad themselves.

Feb 8, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by RobertR
would a super mini be adequate to make the 880 blossom. If it sounds like the er4 its gotta be good.

If it sounds like the ER4's, it's overtly resolved in that trebles are emphasised, relatively bass-shy so that even the inexperienced can pick out detail, reasonable in it's soundstaging and it has a fairly flat frequency rendition. All that frankly has nothing to do with 'good'*. However the DT880 is (like the Etys) technically very competent and (unlike the Etys) very comfortable. I use it as the sonic equivalent of the glass of water during a wine tasting.

No META has given what I would consider 'nominal' results with the DT880. Therefore I think the Supermini won't be up to it either. Underamped (through a META) the 880 will either distort or sound distant. I've got a META configured for high impedance phones and I have to say it is not doing a good job in comparison to the RKV, the tubed integrated and the mixing console.

* A simple enough word which seems to start major flame wars here... So I will stick to words like "technically competent" "dynamic" from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back