Anyone still into MDs?
Aug 16, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #76 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfinger1111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

anyone around here still into MDs?

Started with an old Sony MZ-R30 and switched to a MZ-RH10 when it was released a couple of years ago.

Really liked it for it's MIC input(good rehearsal recordings), the OLED display, the 1GB capacity and stuff. Nowadays that's changed a bit.
Every MP3 player's got a higher capacity, the 1GB Hi-MDs are pretty expensive and those gumstripes are rather hard to find at a reasonable price.
Some of those gumstripes even started inflating during recharge...
mad.gif
... inside the player.

I like the features of the player, but the thought of a new player is quite tempting.

Good question.

The portable audio maker especially the mp3 player makers need to rethink why the the technology have made a big progress on storage and other fancy funchtions. But the sound quality wise is backward ? ??
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #77 of 93
so after being medicated here for awhile messing around with my md player... I remember why I hated them... MF sonic stage, tried to erase a few discs I had only a couple work the rest couldn't because they were transferred via SS so I needed to "check them back in"... then i remembered how SS only lets you check something out a few times and if you wanted to put it on another disc, you needed to check it back in from another disc... okay /rant off

on the positive note. I think i'm going to buy some more discs and put some mixes etc on em using the line in. (sounds great) SP/LP2 ftw never much a fan of LP4 but it had its uses...

the only other gripe I have is my remote doesn't have a backlight if only i can find a back lit remote that works with my unit ill be stoked...

oh and ill be stoked if i can find a N707 from a reputable person on ebay always wanted one and these days the prices are so so low might even get a deck who knows...

***went on a bit of tangent, sorry if my post doesnt read well***

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #78 of 93
I still have my Sony MZ-R50 and it is the best sounding portable device I ever have. Right now I am feeding Iriver H120's optical signal into the Sony, press pause together with rec. and I got an md sound with 20GB of music in my bag.
darthsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #80 of 93
Yes, just use the onboard amp of the minidisc player. You will need to insert a minidisc into your RH1, press "pause" & "record", now the RH1 should be in stand-by record mode. You can then feed the iRiver's optical out into the RH1's optical in and RH1 will just decode the digital signal from the iRiver and output to the RH1 phoneout. This way, you are listening to your iRiver's collection with the sound quality of your RH1.

You don't need to do the actual recording to make this work. Just leave it at stand-by and enjoy your music. Go and give it a try!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #82 of 93
at the time, the mzr50 was considered the worst of the sony recorders. now however, with the degradation of sq, it is okay. i remember the old threads at atraclife (or whatever it was called) which praised only the oldest players.

the fact is that whether apple or sony, people have their prejudices.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #83 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at the time, the mzr50 was considered the worst of the sony recorders. now however, with the degradation of sq, it is okay. i remember the old threads at atraclife (or whatever it was called) which praised only the oldest players.

the fact is that whether apple or sony, people have their prejudices.

Worst compared to R1, R2, R3? I thought R50 is better than the newer recorder except the NH1, RH1 with an HD amp or the older ones like R3. Any recommandation of an recorder?

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #84 of 93
when the R50 came out in 1998 or 1997, it was considered to be a big drop in sq because of battery considerations. the R37 which relied on similar technology and was cheaper was the last of the mediocre sounding players.

Wait, sorry, i am thinking of r55 - i am mistaken. the r50 was good and the r35 was good also, my bad. i would consider their amp stages in line with more traditional understanding of sq over the rh1, though today is still a different market. sorry... had too may md players...

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #85 of 93
Don't worry about it shigzeo, sound quality is very personal anyway. I still haven't got a chance to try out the minidisc player made by sharp. Heard they got a better bass than the sonys.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #86 of 93
depends on what you want. ive owned kenwood, panasonic, sharp and sony. oh yes, aiwa too! they are all more similar than different, but sony tends to be the most 'neutral' in a way. sony's presentation isn't as rich as others, but i have to say i prefer it over the panasonic players which posed their players are much better as they have 24 bit decoders.

the market is always annoying. each sound good. sony's r50 and earlier were phenomenal, my r55 mistake was a big mistake, sorry.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #87 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumtory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have my Sony MZ-R50 and it is the best sounding portable device I ever have. Right now I am feeding Iriver H120's optical signal into the Sony, press pause together with rec. and I got an md sound with 20GB of music in my bag.
darthsmile.gif

Do you mean you make the SONY MZ-R50 as a portable amp? interesting.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #88 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so after being medicated here for awhile messing around with my md player... I remember why I hated them... MF sonic stage, tried to erase a few discs I had only a couple work the rest couldn't because they were transferred via SS so I needed to "check them back in"... then i remembered how SS only lets you check something out a few times and if you wanted to put it on another disc, you needed to check it back in from another disc... okay /rant off

on the positive note. I think i'm going to buy some more discs and put some mixes etc on em using the line in. (sounds great) SP/LP2 ftw never much a fan of LP4 but it had its uses...

the only other gripe I have is my remote doesn't have a backlight if only i can find a back lit remote that works with my unit ill be stoked...

oh and ill be stoked if i can find a N707 from a reputable person on ebay always wanted one and these days the prices are so so low might even get a deck who knows...

***went on a bit of tangent, sorry if my post doesnt read well***

I never had problems like that with SS. Then again I never used it as my main library. I used to just copy stuff in and out when I wanted it on a disk.

I had a MD unit and then skipped directly to a HiMD which I still have somewhere. Bought a back light remote on ebay. But in the end my MP3 player sounded better and was far easier to use and navigate. I gave away all my MD stuff except one HiMD and a couple of discs. TBH they've been in a box the last couple of years.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #89 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzhenyun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you mean you make the SONY MZ-R50 as a portable amp? interesting.

Yes, in my case, a DAC + portable amp.

You can try out a lot of different setups.
iRiver H120 -- > MD Recorder -- > headphone
iRiver H120 -- > MD Recorder -- > line out -- > portable amp -- > headphone
Diymod iPod -- > MD Recorder -- > headphone

I don't have a portable amp so I can't tell you if the above setup is any good in terms of sq. I did try an Diymod 4G iPod with the MZ-R50 but the result was terrible. I guess my $10 line out cable just won't cut it. Anyway, you can't compare a MD recorder to a portable amp in terms of sq.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #90 of 93
yes i still use md,i have 3 machines at the moment. mzrh1/mznh1/mznh9oo,wouldnt dream of using anything else.first started of with a r50. built like a tank. i only use himd to make pcm discs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back