Anyone? source > amp > amp > headphones
Nov 25, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 8
Huh?

Are you chaining two amps together or asking if people run more than one amp?

Don't chain two amps together. Among other things, you dramatically increase distortion and might overload the input of a second amp.

For me, the point of an amp is to have as few components as possible. The more devices in the chain, the more the signal is altered.

One amp I'm working on (and I willfinish it one of these days) just has an attenuator, one tube per channel, one resistor, one capacitor, and one output transformer. It's the most stripped-down design I could find, so I've dropped a little north of $1k into the best quality parts I could find.

If neither of your amps cuts it with your headphones, it's probably time to sell them and buy a capable amp.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 8
Good post, Uncle Erik. Thanks. Yes, I asked who is running two amps changed together like this: source > amp > amp > headphones. I know some Head-Fiers do this (as I have done myself). And I know there are others who advise against this.

Of course I choose to hook up amps in any way they sound best to me.

I am about to buy a second amp and will compare the two. And it did cross my mind that the 1st amp may screw up the 2nd amp. But then instead the 2 amps chained together may sound better than either one used separately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?

Don't chain two amps together. Among other things, you dramatically increase distortion and might overload the input of a second amp.

For me, the point of an amp is to have as few components as possible. The more devices in the chain, the more the signal is altered.

One amp I'm working on (and I willfinish it one of these days) just has an attenuator, one tube per channel, one resistor, one capacitor, and one output transformer. It's the most stripped-down design I could find, so I've dropped a little north of $1k into the best quality parts I could find.

If neither of your amps cuts it with your headphones, it's probably time to sell them and buy a capable amp.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 8
Im just wondering what the sound difference wil be with and without the MKIII as pre-amp. Since the GS-1 has a loop out i'll be using that to feed my MKIII and have two stand alone amps for every day use.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?

I MUST SEE PICTURES...

NOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back