Anyone seen Sigur Ros live??
Mar 26, 2003 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stymie miasma

500+ Head-Fier
I had the pleasure Saturday evening just passed. The venue was fabulous, an old theatre on the outskirts of Philadelphia - The Tower Theatre from memory. We were seated in the balcony, and had a splendid view of the stage which was arranged with a 4 piece string section on a riser typically occupied by the drum kit (ie: centre back). Keyboards and effects to the left of stage, drum kit to the right (facing left). The lead singer and bass guitarist were floating in the middle of it all. As for the string section, it was 2 violins and 2 cellos from memory. From what I understand, the string section were also the support act, but we got there too late to see them which was a shame.

The lighting rig was simple and effective, and the room acoustics were sublime. Performance-wise, I thought the band played flawlessly. The drummer was great to watch, and he really gave his kit a solid work-out, in a less-is-more kinda way. The lead singer was every bit as etheral as on CD. He also plays guitar, and for those of you wondering how he creates those soaring guitar-scapes, I believe he has been studying Jimmy Page/Led Zep videos as it was mostly courtesy of a violin bow and a selection of effects. Very nice indeed.

If you geta chance, do catch them. I think tickets were around $30 all up, but worth every penny.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 6
All I can say is that I listen to alot of music. I am sure that alot of poster's around here do as well. The Sigur Ros show I saw was a religious experience. It rivals that of any classical ensemble. Wild undulation of tone,light, and pure tonal magic. Hilmarsson is an amazing preformer and quite the musical visionary. If you have had the pleasure of hearing this band before I STRONGLY urge you to see the live performance. It is in one word, breathtaking!

If you like Sigur ros you should be sure to add these bands to your ( find some mp3's) list:

God speed you black emperor
mogwai
A silver mount zion
set fire to flames
coil
explosions in the sky
bardo pond

and many more....

I am a big fan of this genera! If you need more bands to fill your curiosity.... send me a mail!

Mar 26, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 6
It absolutely was a religious experience. I messed up and lost the B row orchestra tickets I had during my online purchase, ended up in the back. Someday I'll see them again in the front. But even so, that show changed my life. Sigur Ros are one of the reasons why I'm trying so hard to put a hi-fi system together in the first place. Everything about it.. the videos, the lighting (god! the red at the close of Popplagio, the way Jonsi stands and moves, it was life becoming art, finally), the music, all the beauty i have collected in my life crystalized at once in an exploded christmas.

i would die without my post rock.

Mar 26, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 6
By the way, to get me even more excited about my system (not possible): in general, how is the recording quality on sigur ros, mogwai, godspeed, etc.? People don't tend to talk about music like this much.

Mar 26, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 6
i saw them during their agaetis byrjun tour a couple years back, and i will be seeing them when they come to the california bay area at the paramount on april 8. the agaetis show was amazing, and i expect similar from this upcoming performance (now with a wider song selection to perform from, woohoo!)

Mar 26, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 6
The Sonic's 0n the new cd are 4 outa 5. The Ageis 3.5, the others in the 3 area.....

I have noticed the EP's tend to be on the low side.

But goddam...... I can't get enough of em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back