Anyone Recable Their ESW9/ESW9A?
Jan 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been enjoying my new ESW9A, a headphone I heard years ago at a meet and always had interest in.  It sounds really good out of the box.  For portable use, I think of it as a more refined replacement for my KSC-35's (and to my surprise, it also has an engaging full sound that seems to beat out my PK-1's for portable enjoyment).

Has anyone invested in recabling this headphone?  The stock cable is pretty basic, and I wonder if a cable upgrade could offer some minor improvements.  Thanks for any feedback...   

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't have a LCD-3, but from my experience a silver recable tends to clean up the bass and brighten the sound, while a copper recable adds more body and makes the sound fuller. That's why most people recable their KCS75 or CX300 with silver cables since these headphones have a overall dark/bassy sound with the stock cable. I could be wrong though, but take your poison.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I don't have a LCD-3, but from my experience a silver recable tends to clean up the bass and brighten the sound, while a copper recable adds more body and makes the sound fuller. That's why most people recable their KCS75 or CX300 with silver cables since these headphones have a overall dark/bassy sound with the stock cable. I could be wrong though, but take your poison.

Thanks for your reply.  In general terms I have found the same to be true.  I was just looking to see if anyone had any particular experience with a recable on the ESW9.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for your reply.  In general terms I have found the same to be true.  I was just looking to see if anyone had any particular experience with a recable on the ESW9.

Not recable per se, but a few years ago they were sort-of popular for modding - might be able to get some good pictures and assembly information out of those threads. I know Germania had a pretty extensive thread on modding them, but I don't think she is around anymore (I haven't seen her in a long time).

Like here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/383257/germania-s-audio-technica-esw9-mod-s

And here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/543636/esw9-mod-and-rice-krispy-treats-video-by-request-enjoy (has a video showing how to take them apart)

Can't comment on the mods as "more bass" is something I've never felt they needed, but they all seem fairly straightforward. More provided as information regarding opening them more than "do these mods" (but I'm sure you could play around with the mods too). Just be careful with the wood (whatever you put them on to open them up shouldn't let them slide around or scratch/dig-into them).

From the video, looks pretty straight-forward on opening them, and you could do whatever you need to do with the cable from there.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 10
I've actually seen those threads both in the past and recently and they helped to inform me how the ESW9's are disassembled..which was helpful.  As you say, I'm not looking to mod the driver housings because the last thing they need is more bass, but I wonder if a better cable would help tighten things up.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 10
I am getting mine recabled as we speak from Brian at BTG-Audio. I'll be sure to subscribe to this thread and post impressions when I get them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I am getting mine recabled as we speak from Brian at BTG-Audio. I'll be sure to subscribe to this thread and post impressions when I get them.

That would be very helpful!  I would also be curious if you could PM me the price of you recable and how your service experience goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back