anyone out there still thinks that Panasonic RP-HJE900 is the best U shape sounding earphone?
Feb 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pokpokgei

100+ Head-Fier
i think the 2 main attractions behind the panasonic hje900's uniqueness is it's dynamic and natural sounding bass and the overall well tuned decay/fade out.

feel free to share your views and whether you have come across another U shape sounding IEM that is better. :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 11
The HJE900's were one of my first purchases on headfi, and I would probably still be using them if I didn't lose one of the drivers. They're definitely great for the price, but I never thought they were the best U shaped IEM. Even when they were in the spotlight the JVC FX700 were considered a definite upgrade over the HJE's. When I was searching for a replacement for the HJE's, I read reviews on the JVC FXT90 which describe them as an overall improvement also. Anyone who likes the HJE900 sound should definitely give them a try.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
The HJE900's were one of my first purchases on headfi, and I would probably still be using them if I didn't lose one of the drivers. They're definitely great for the price, but I never thought they were the best U shaped IEM. Even when they were in the spotlight the JVC FX700 were considered a definite upgrade over the HJE's. When I was searching for a replacement for the HJE's, I read reviews on the JVC FXT90 which describe them as an overall improvement also. Anyone who likes the HJE900 sound should definitely give them a try.

hi,

have you experienced the jvc fx700? care to explain how is it an upgrade over the hje900? 

i greatly value the natural bass and sub-bass in the hje900 combined with it's signature decay/fade out across the frequency spectrum. if the fx700 cannot out do the hje900 in this aspect i think i will rather live with the unique sibilance of the hje900 that are non fatiguing even with 6 to 8 hours nonstop listening.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 11
I never tried the FX700, since I was more interested in the FXT90. If you're talking about timbre, I think the FXT90 was slightly better from what I remember. Bass quantity was about the same, but more detailwd and textured.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I never tried the FX700, since I was more interested in the FXT90. If you're talking about timbre, I think the FXT90 was slightly better from what I remember. Bass quantity was about the same, but more detailwd and textured.

IMO JVC FX700 has much more quantity in bass region than FXT90 and it's bass goes much deep,heavier and reverb with very detailed mids and extended highs(much more detailed than FXT90), The only difference i experienced is FXT has forwared bright midrange with similar highs and light on bass, where FX700 main focus is detailed deep reverbing heavy punchy bass and mids are slightly laidback with extended bright highs and large soundstage( natural warm crisp signature due to wood housing).

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
IMO JVC FX700 has much more quantity in bass region than FXT90 and it's bass goes much deep,heavier and reverb with very detailed mids and extended highs(much more detailed than FXT90), The only difference i experienced is FXT has forwared bright midrange with similar highs and light on bass, where FX700 main focus is detailed deep reverbing heavy punchy bass and mids are slightly laidback with extended bright highs and large soundstage( natural warm crisp signature due to wood housing).

i just made a thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/650072/need-advice-for-jvc-ha-fx700-vs-panasonic-rp-hje900-users-who-have-listened-to-both-extensively to compare hje900 and fx700, if you have experience with the hje900 it will be good if you can share your views over there too, thanks!

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 11
I remember it definitely having U-shaped sound, so much so that the music seemed detached, floating, not cohesive at all.  Bass and mid-bass colorization was also too much for me.  I kept it about a month, then sold it to an eager buyer.  

This makes sense if you look at my signature for the main earphone I have been using the past 3-4 years -- ER-4P.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I remember it definitely having U-shaped sound, so much so that the music seemed detached, floating, not cohesive at all.  Bass and mid-bass colorization was also too much for me.  I kept it about a month, then sold it to an eager buyer.  

This makes sense if you look at my signature for the main earphone I have been using the past 3-4 years -- ER-4P.

i'm fine with people having different preferences. it's just that i happen to like earphones with U shape sound signature :)

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 11
i was just playing around with the sound equalization setting on the computer with my sunrise xcited for the song (Harold Faltermeyer & Steve Stevens - Top Gun Anthem.flac) and i realised how much bass there was on the panasonic hje900.

i never thought of the hje900s as a basshead earphone until now i think they actually belong to that category.

i had to boost almost 90% of 60 hz, 170 hz and 310 hz on the sunrise xcited only to come close to the rumble of hje900's sub-bass and punchiness of hje900's mid bass but overall sound was already becoming  slightly veiled and sibilant on random high notes and electric guitar sounding slightly thicker/warmer/muddier as well.

wow i cant believe i been a basshead all along :O

since my 1st pair of earphone ever was also a panasonic hje270, i was trained to love sub-bass. everything sounds so much more natural to me now that i can hear the vibrations of sub-bass, i feel so much more homely, like i've put on my panasonic hje270s again except that mids are eve clearer on the sunrise xcited which is a bonus :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back