Anyone listen to A Prairie Home Companion?
Jun 4, 2006 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
I went and saw Garrison Keillor and his crew at the Hollywood Bowl Friday. Listening to the rebroadcast right now as I avoid studying. I love that guy. Been listening to him since I was a kid but somehow it took me this long to see him live. Read a few of his books. Enjoyed those too. Just wondering if anyone else is as into him as I am.

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 13
I sure try to listen on Saturday nights as much as possible. By far the best entertainment on radio, or even TV for that matter. I am also looking forward to the movie coming out soon.

http://phc.mpr.org for anyone interested in varietycomedy/radio shows.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 13
I try to catch the shows on 93.9 here in Manhattan. Usualy very good music some funny comments. Sounds pretty good too.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
I went and saw Garrison Keillor and his crew at the Hollywood Bowl Friday. Listening to the rebroadcast right now as I avoid studying. I love that guy. Been listening to him since I was a kid but somehow it took me this long to see him live. Read a few of his books. Enjoyed those too. Just wondering if anyone else is as into him as I am.

I listen when I can, though not often. How are his books compared to his broadcasts and shows?

Jun 4, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 13
That once a year joke show is amazing.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
That once a year joke show is amazing.

yep, they even did a "yo momma" joke segment on one, and i still think it's the funniest i've heard-

"Yo mama's so large, she's got smaller mamas orbiting her!"
eek.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Its quite possibly the only NPR show I listen to. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go eat some ketchup, on a cannoli.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 13
I love that show.

When I lived in Oregon, I used to be able to pick up KOAC (550 AM) on my big 1939 console radio. The show is great on any gear, but listening on a vintage tube set was something I looked forward to every week.

P.S. USC Goose- Fight On!

May 12, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Resurrecting an old thread to announce I am on an Amtrak Acela Express (NYC-Boston) right now with Garrison. Just as cool in person as I thought he would be from his radio personalities. Actually put the iPod/RSA Tomahawk/se530s away to listen to stories. Too cool.

May 12, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Have fun and nice resurrection.

I think Companion can be beautiful and sometimes insanely so. Ira Glass (of the incredible This American Life) once said the best radio in American is done by Garrison Keillor and Howard Stern. For inspiration one slips back to the past and the other to his childhood.

This makes me want to watch Altman's A Prairie Home Companion again tonight.

May 12, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 13
Resurrecting an old thread to announce I am on an Amtrak Acela Express (NYC-Boston) right now with Garrison. Just as cool in person as I thought he would be from his radio personalities. Actually put the iPod/RSA Tomahawk/se530s away to listen to stories. Too cool.

May 13, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 13
That is pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back