Anyone like The Clash here?
Jul 28, 2009 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Laokid18

500+ Head-Fier
When I was Younger all I knew of The Clash were there pop songs hits Rock the Casbah ,and Should I stay or should I go ,mainly from the raido and TV commercials. I thought that they were a catchy pop band nothing more and nothing less.That was until my older brother played all there albums on a long road trip a couple of years ago. Needless to say, It changed the way I thought of and listened to music.Never before have I heard a band play so many styles of music and do it so well from Punk,Hard Rock, and Reggae, to Dub, Ska, and Rockabilly.But one thing that struck me the most about this band is Joe Strummers lyrics, I have never agreed with a bands beliefs ever, as much as I agreed with The Clash.Later down the road I discovered some of my favorite bands would have never existed without them, bands like Rage Against the Machine,Rancid, U2 and many others.So I am wondering if any Head-fiers like The Clash ?

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 41
The Clash are awesome! One of the greatest bands of all time.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 41
I listen to them from time to time.

Oh, and who else remembers this commercial?
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to them from time to time.

Oh, and who else remembers this commercial?
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Yes I do, The funny thing about Rock the Casbah is most people think its just a catchy pop song.When in reality its really about the banning of rock music in Iran under Ayatollah Khomeini.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Clash are awesome! One of the greatest bands of all time.

I agree!

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 41
I have loved The Clash from the first time I heard "The Clampdown." It changed the way I viewed music or something. I saw them live at The Tower Theater in Philadelphia many moons ago. Be sure to check out "Rock Art And The X-Ray Style," "Global A Go-Go," and "Streetcore." All great albums by Joe Strummer & The Mescaleroes. Joe Strummer actually died before "Streetcore was finished. One of my favorite songs by Joe Strummer is "Love Kills" from the album "Sid & Nancy: From The Motion Picture Soundtrack." "Clampdown," "The Magnificent Seven," "The Call Up," "This Is Radio Clash," "Bankrobber," and "Ghetto Defendant" are among my favorite songs of all time...

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have loved The Clash from the first time I heard "The Clampdown." It changed the way I viewed music or something. I saw them live at The Tower Theater in Philadelphia many moons ago. Be sure to check out "Rock Art And The X-Ray Style," "Global A Go-Go," and "Streetcore." All great albums by Joe Strummer & The Mescaleroes. Joe Strummer actually died before "Streetcore was finished. One of my favorite songs by Joe Strummer is "Love Kills" from the album "Sid & Nancy: From The Motion Picture Soundtrack." "Clampdown," "The Magnificent Seven," "The Call Up," "This Is Radio Clash," "Bankrobber," and "Ghetto Defendant" are among my favorite songs of all time...

Dang your lucky, they were gone before I was even born. Clampdown and The Call up are also some of my favorite songs of all time.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang your lucky, they were gone before I was even born. Clampdown and The Call up are also some of my favorite songs of all time.

Yeah, I do feel lucky having seen all the great bands that I've seen. I'm still going to see great bands live. But it's cool that some of these bands, like The Clash, still gain fans among younger people such as yourself. It's cool that there are younger people that still have the taste to recognize the quality of a band like The Clash. Check out those Joe Stummer and The Mescaleros albums, you will not be disappointed!

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like them.

I can't even see why they're labeled as punk.

The only song of theirs I like is "Lost in the Supermarket".

Alright I respect your opinion. They are labeled as punk of because of there first album, which was British punk.Not only that punk is what you make it, I thought punk was about not conforming and musical freedom , so why do people get angry when a band tries to be different from all the other bands doing the same thing.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

They are labeled as punk of because of there first album, which was British punk.

British Punk? Is that because they play punk and they're British; or, is there really a stylistic difference between British Punk and other kinds of punk from other regions of the world?

Also, if only their first album was punk, why do so many people refer to them as a punk band in general... and their "masterpiece" (London Calling) as a punk rock record?

Quote:

I thought punk was about not conforming and musical freedom , so why do people get angry when a band tries to be different from all the other bands doing the same thing.

I dunno about angry
tongue.gif
But punk at the time was all about not conforming to the known standards for music (and lifestyle) during that time. It was about being anti-establishment and generally a counter-culture.

If you're a punk rocker being non-conformist against your already-non-conformist punk rock buddies, it defeats the purpose, imho
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 41
Probably my favorite band. I love Sandinista!, Give 'Em Enough Rope and Combat Rock, but London Calling and The Clash really put them over the top for me, London Calling especially (naturally). The album is damn near perfect.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
British Punk? Is that because they play punk and they're British; or, is there really a stylistic difference between British Punk and other kinds of punk from other regions of the world?

Also, if only their first album was punk, why do so many people refer to them as a punk band in general... and their "masterpiece" (London Calling) as a punk rock record?

If you're a punk rocker being non-conformist against your already-non-conformist punk rock buddies, it defeats the purpose, imho
smily_headphones1.gif

They are considered punk because they were as punk as it gets. It is silly to get into an argument about semantics.

And I would focus more on the "musical freedom" as opposed to non-conformity. They explored many different styles, and none of it felt forced or out of place.

If they aren't your cup of tea that is of course fine, but I almost feel sad for you.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I love Sandinista....

Same. 'Somebody Got Murdered', 'Charlie Don't Surf', & 'Ivan Meets G.I. Joe' are just a couple of my favorite Clash songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back