Anyone know what spider this is?
Sep 23, 2009 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

KONAKONA

Banned
I was just minding my business and this guy comes down from the ceiling and scares the bejebus out of me. I took a few pictures before promptly whacking the snot out of it with a fly swatter.

ImageShack -

A few weeks ago a spider snuck up on me while I was on the throne, not fun.

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 89
no IDEA ,but that spider look venomous for sure .:p

don't get bitten or who knows, we have a head-fi spider-man in the making
smily_headphones1.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 89
Ya I think it's a dead one.

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya I think it's a dead one.

It was still making it's way around my monitor when I took those pictures.

It's definitely dead now though.
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just minding my business and this guy comes down from the ceiling and scares the bejebus out of me. I took a few pictures before promptly whacking the snot out of it with a fly swatter.

ImageShack -

A few weeks ago a spider snuck up on me while I was on the throne, not fun.

Loks to me like Black Widow:

dangerous_black_widow.jpg

I hope i am wrong, but - that think is BAD, you dont want that in your house, i see them on Florida ...

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Loks to me like Black Widow:

dangerous_black_widow.jpg

I hope i am wrong, but - that think is BAD, you dont want that in your house, i see them on Florida ...

That's what I was afraid of.
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 89
Looks a different shape to that black widow, and the markings are different. Black widows generally have a red/orange/brown hourglass marking on the underside of their abdomen as seen in the picture above, but I think there can be markings on the top side in some cases.

I haven't actually seen a black widow in person (I'm in Aus), just read about some spiders some time ago and that's what I remember. The OPs spider's markings look pretty distinctive with those white spots, plus the long legs.

Anyway, still looks pretty nasty and would give me a huge case of the heeby jeebies.

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks a different shape to that black widow, and the markings are different. Black widows generally have a red/orange/brown hourglass marking on the underside of their abdomen as seen in the picture above, but I think there can be markings on the top side in some cases.

I haven't actually seen a black widow in person (I'm in Aus), just read about some spiders some time ago and that's what I remember. The OPs spider's markings look pretty distinctive with those white spots, plus the long legs.

Anyway, still looks pretty nasty and would give me a huge case of the heeby jeebies.

This is Black Widow too:

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 89
I take back that comment about the markings, seems there are various different markings in different types of widow spiders, according to Wikipedia. Still not necessarily a black widow, but I guess it could be?

edit - already been corrected
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back