Anyone know how the Shure SRH440 compares to the Sony xb500? Using Audio Via Bluetooth
Jul 17, 2011 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mikp

500+ Head-Fier
Im using the Sony Ericsson MW600 to stream audio from either laptops or a Motorola DC800 bluetooth transmitter connected to the receiver.

I have been using a Motorola S805 Bluetooth headset, but the sound was "flat" (sorry, no expert in sound) so i got the mw600 to stream audio with any standard 3.5mm headphone.

I have just picked up a Sony xb500,  the bass sounds great over bluetooth compared to other bluetooth headsets i have. My complaint is that it can be too much of a good thing sometimes and the sound is muddled.The + point of the xb500 is that its  extremely comfortable since i need big earbuds.

I have been looking at reviews of the SRH440 and the build quality seems to be much better than the xb500 that feels like cardboard. The common complaints of the 440 is flat sound.

So do anyone know how the 440 handles bass etc since i would be using it with bluetooth and not a receiver or amplifier?

The xb500 sounds "warm" but it can be too much and the construction feels flimsy. Since i cant test the SRH440 im afraid  the sound would be flat when using bluetooth or no amplifier. 

Has anyone compared the two or used the 440 with a portable device?

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 5
the shures are monitoring headphones so they are made to be flat sounding. Try some cheap Panasonic RP-HTX7's for good bass that doesnt drown out everything. They are comfy and built very well and dont need to be amped.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 5
i got to test this (made new friends..) the shure 240\440 did not sound good with the dc800 bluetooth transmitter, tested with soney ericsson mw600..

The bluetooth problem is the bass, and these just sounded flat (like the earbuds that comes with smarthphones)

Tested denon 510 and too small, red ear in 1 minute. The Denon  AH-D1100  was large enough but still flat sound.

So far the xb500 was best, talked to store manager about returning them, then i was given a 40% money back so easy choice.

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
i got to test this (made new friends..) the shure 240\440 did not sound good with the dc800 bluetooth transmitter, tested with soney ericsson mw600..

The bluetooth problem is the bass, and these just sounded flat (like the earbuds that comes with smarthphones)

Tested denon 510 and too small, red ear in 1 minute. The Denon  AH-D1100  was large enough but still flat sound.

So far the xb500 was best, talked to store manager about returning them, then i was given a 40% money back so easy choice.

Have you tried the headphones with a different source plugged directly into your receiver? If the D1100 sounded flat there's a problem with the bluetooth or your soundcard, that doesn't sound right at all.

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 5
i tested the D1100 from a receiver and the sound was okay and bass fine.. With bluetooth the bass degraded but vocal was crisp (better than xb500).

But in the end could not justify the price difference. Got the xb500 for next to nothing after the 40% off.

Im mostly using bluetooth to transmit from receiver or laptops after damaging too many jack ports

Users who are viewing this thread

Back