Anyone know about the K550 MkIII?
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tompie913

New Head-Fier
So I was browsing Amazon and I came across the K550 MkIII. Looked on AKG's site and as far as I can tell it's the MkII with a detachable cable. Specs listed are all the same as the K553 (which is the same as the MkII to my knowledge). Does anyone know if there are any other differences? Anyone have a pair? I figure they must be new because I can't find anything on here about them.

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Over-ear & On-ear/AKG+K550MKIII.html

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Very interested in the K550 MKIII vs the sound signature of the original K550 MKII which I own. The K550 IMO are very neutral and sound very nice. I will say however, that the long single wired cable in the K550 MKII is not a good thing. Overall I'm not thrilled at the cable quality of the MKII's.

I have heavily used my K550 MKII and with the super long cable, I just wrapped them up around the cans to carry in my backpack to my office everyday. Well unfortunately the cable is now warped near the plug end and the sound cuts out often to the point of being really annoying for me while listening to music (yes I can do Excel and listen to music at the same time :)

I was thinking about trying to make a detectable mod to the K550 MKII but might consider buying the MKIII instead. What I would like to know is there anyone that has tried the new K550 MKIII and could compare these to the sound signature of the MKII's ? Of course I may just upgrade to a different set of cans altogether, but there are definitely options. I would like to find out if users find the MKIII identical in sound to the MKII. I have seem at least 1 UTube video that says they don't sound the same and this reviewer favored the original MKII's.

Thanks.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back