Anyone into high-end car audio?
May 3, 2009 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought my first SUV. It has the stock Blose stereo and I'm looking into amp and speaker upgrades. A local dealer was trying to sell me some Focal Polyglass speakers and Alpine amp.

Any recommendations for component speakers, amps, subs?

May 3, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 18
I'm into car audio, unfortunately I can't afford the very high end stuff, but I may be able to help with some recommendations.

First off, how much are you looking to spend for each?

by the way, Focal does make good speakers. I've heard the polyglass are a little bit on the bright side, but if you can hear them in person you can make your decision. expensive though.
Alpine amps are very popular, especially the multichannel ones. They are of good quality.

May 3, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 18
Off a quick search and from my head;

Resonant Engineering, Digital Designs, JL Audio, Rainbow, Dynaudio, Focal, Image Dynamics, Morel, and Zapco. These are all companies that make great speakers, but can be a little pricey.

Some of those companies also make amps. I know from personal experience or experiences of friends that JL Audio and Zapco make great amps. The Alpine PDX amps are good for powering multiple speakers, just check that they put enough power out for your speakers of choice. Overhead is always good, don't skimp on power.

For subs, Resonant Engineering, Image Dynamics, Rainbow, and JL Audio are all supposed to be good. I haven't heard subs from RE, ID, or Rainbow, but I can say that the JL Audio W7 subwoofers are incredible.

With $4000, you should be able to afford pretty high quality stuff. How much is the store charging you for install (estimate)? Are you buying the equipment online or from a B&M?

May 3, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 18
Those Alpine PDX amps are tight. Small footprint, stackable and low heat.

The JL w7 are great but they cost a fortune. He will definitely go over budget with just one of those.

I've used Kicker Solobarics with great success. Excellents subs for the price.

I used to have MB Quartz components and they were great, but expensive.

May 3, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 18
My dad has the '04 Mustang GT with JBL speakers in it. I think they sound warm, quick, and fairly detailed. I like them a lot.

May 3, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 18
The 12" W7s can be found for $450-500. If those are too expensive, JL Audio's W6 subwoofers are great choices as well. Those would probably be $100 or $150 less than the W7. Retail for the W7 is somewhere like $850 though. Depends how much you think you need the manufacturer warranty, I suppose.

I haven't heard the Kicker Solobarics personally, but I hear that they aren't very musical subs because of the square shape. They have higher output though, because of the increased cone area. Basically the Solobarics are better SPL performers than SQ, but this is all just FWIR.

Another thing to keep in mind, you'll definitely want a custom box built for your subs. It's a lot cheaper to build one yourself, if you can find the time. It's not too difficult either. The last box I built (it was ported), it cost me about $60 in supplies (MDF board, screws, wood glue, etc). My local store said they would build me a ported enclosure for $200-250. Huge difference!

May 3, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 12" W7s can be found for $450-500. If those are too expensive, JL Audio's W6 subwoofers are great choices as well. Those would probably be $100 or $150 less than the W7. Retail for the W7 is somewhere like $850 though. Depends how much you think you need the manufacturer warranty, I suppose.

I haven't heard the Kicker Solobarics personally, but I hear that they aren't very musical subs because of the square shape. They have higher output though, because of the increased cone area. Basically the Solobarics are better SPL performers than SQ, but this is all just FWIR.

Another thing to keep in mind, you'll definitely want a custom box built for your subs. It's a lot cheaper to build one yourself, if you can find the time. It's not too difficult either. The last box I built (it was ported), it cost me about $60 in supplies (MDF board, screws, wood glue, etc). My local store said they would build me a ported enclosure for $200-250. Huge difference!

That's not too bad for the W7, I guess. Last time I checked at a shop here they were selling for $1300 Canadian!

The Solos are big SPL performers but that doesn't mean they are sloppy.

May 3, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 18
I absolutely love the harmon/kardon logic7 system in my car. Reminds me of my K701s but with bass. Unfortunately like almost every Harmon (and sub-division) product I've owned, reliability leaves something to be desired.
If you see anything with a M.O.S.T. fiberoptic network, I highly recommend it. It's an open source high-bandwidth network for audio and video that will make it easy to add components to your system. I've added iPod on mine, and we're looking into buying some wireless cameras that feed video to the nav screen for off-roading.

May 5, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 18
I stumbled on a website for hi-end car audio last night. It's a place near Philly that handles some great brands .... Dynaudio, Focal, Zapco, Alpine, etc.

I want to turn my Cayenne into a rolling sactuary of awesome sound. I'll be talking to a guy from this Philly place (Bob & Ron's World Wide Stereo -Home Theater, HDTV, High End Audio) tomorrow and see what kind of recommendations he has.

I once spent a crapload of money on car stereo for a Corvette convertible I owned for about a year. Total waste of money ... way too small, poor speaker placement, etc. But the Cayenne is big and roomy.

May 6, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 18
Not anymore!
I were into high-end car audio in the mid-90's, but jumped off that bandwagon some 10 years ago. Still have a couple of Sound Stream amplifiers (Class A10.0 and Picasso) and some speakers though, but no car...

May 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a car but 100% sure I won't spend money on car audio.

I pity the fool that feels the need to thread crap for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back