Anyone heard Wavelength Proton?
Jun 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

100+ Head-Fier
I am interested in this DAC because Wavelength is one of the few companies that offer asynchronous-mode USB audio. Does anyone know how it compares to the more expensive Brick? I can't find any reviews or even any technical details anywhere.

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 35
They were supposed to release a much smaller version but it got too many negative reviews. So they scrapped the Electron.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were supposed to release a much smaller version but it got too many negative reviews. So they scrapped the Electron.

I groaned out loud.
tongue_smile.gif

GOL? maybe I invented a new internet whazzit!

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 35
Gang,

The Proton was released last Monday for full shipment to all the dealers with pending orders.

I am not really sure what you people are thinking about when you talk about the Electron. That has not been assigned to any product as of yet, nor was it ever.

Originally the Proton was going to be a 16 bit unit. That was scrapped for what is shipping now.

As Chris indicated it has a analog volume control that takes over your system wide volume control when it is connected. There is no power supply as the unit runs off the internal Lithium Ion battery for all the important low noise supplies.

The headphone outputs are coupled via a set of Black Gate BGN (yes the Red ones) and the Line outputs are coupled via Mundorf Paper and Oil.

Yes like my other dacs this has dual low jitter oscillators and does use my Asynchronous USB code which makes this all sound allot better.

Stereo Exchange had 3 units Friday in NYC before the local show they were snatched up by fellow headfi.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me.

Thanks
Gordon

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gang,

I am not really sure what you people are thinking about when you talk about the Electron. That has not been assigned to any product as of yet, nor was it ever.

Gordon,

This was some quality subtle humour and was a reference to the atomic particle "electron", which is smaller than a "proton" and carries a negative charge - hence the "negative reviews". Pretty good stuff and worthy of a GOL.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 35
I got one of these yesterday and I'm still getting settled in with it.

The feature set is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. It's twice the depth of a Headroom Total Bithead, but an inch longer and an inch wider than same. It nestles easily underneath the screen of an iMac, for example.

Definitely it's a portable size -- well as portable as the K-702's anyway.
beyersmile.png

Sound quality is definitely up there. I've been using it exclusively with my AKG K-702 headphones so far.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 35
im really loving my proton
bigsmile_face.gif
it sounds fantastic with my senns hd650>triad lisa III>proton>macbook
total off the grid audiophile sound!and deeeeeep black background and lots
of deeeeeeeetails heard! all i can say is WOW
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im really loving my proton
bigsmile_face.gif
it sounds fantastic with my senns hd650>triad lisa III>proton>macbook
total off the grid audiophile sound!and deeeeeep black background and lots
of deeeeeeeetails heard! all i can say is WOW
tongue_smile.gif

so you're foregoing the Proton's headphone out for a dedicated amp?...have you tried the Proton's mini plug with any iems?...thanks...

and thanks to you, Gordon, for your participation...

May 31, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 35
Sorry to bring up an old thread but is there anymore information about the Proton available? I did not find much info at the wavelength website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back