Anyone heard of these Omega 3 speakers?
Apr 30, 2006 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
Apr 30, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Yep.

I own the Omega TS-1, an earlier model featuring a larger driver. Typically earlier Omega speakers all had Fostex based drivers, and are essentially all very high sensitivity ( my Omega TS-1s are rated at 96db. )

I feel that the Omega would appeal to anyone who listens to small scale accoustic music, jazz, vocals and perhaps strings.

It's strengths are in its very smooth sound which is undoubtly very fast because of it's paper-cone driver. Some might feel that the paper-cone would tend to color the sound, but i feel the effect is minimal. As in the characteristics of single-cone speakers, imaging is impecabble and at the price it goes for, finishing is fantastic as well.

Personally, i have not heard the Omega 3, but i feel that they should have the same "house" sound. Pairing these speakers with a tube amp is essential IMO.

To sum it up, go for it if you're a tube lover and listen to stuff that has lots of jazzy vocals, liquid strings and such. Dont expect lots of bass because at that size, its almost impossible to demand it from such a small pair of drivers, so if u like to boogey woogey with chest-thumping, floor-rattling, window-shaking, teeth-loosening bass, i suggest you stay away.

May 1, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil
so if u like to boogey woogey with chest-thumping, floor-rattling, window-shaking, teeth-loosening bass, i suggest you stay away.

Or get a subwoofer.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 10
That too
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 10
This is a real nice Class A tube amp that is award winning and would be great for a high efficiency speaker like the Omega:

http://www.hyperionsound.com/ht-88.htm

Made by NTA, the Chinese manufacturer, but marketed in the west under the Hyperion brand. You can buy it in China for 1/10 the cost of the Hyperion here - exact same amp. I have been itching to get it from China.

Anyone know of any other good high efficient speakers for under $1K?

May 1, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Anyone know of any other good high efficient speakers for under $1K?

These might be worth checking out. I know a couple of people that have them and love them. I've been thinking about a pair for near field listening in a small room. It's another single driver speaker using the Fostek 4" speaker.

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/

May 4, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 10
Try google search for "Brines Acoustics" the FT1600 model. They have received good reviews from the single driver crowd. I am almost there on a pair of his Lowther DX4$. There is also a new manufacturer Atelier Audio single horn. Both are under $1K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman
These might be worth checking out. I know a couple of people that have them and love them. I've been thinking about a pair for near field listening in a small room. It's another single driver speaker using the Fostek 4" speaker.

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/

May 4, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the tip velogreg. I really want to try the single driver route and these look interesting. I like that I can buy flats and provide my own drivers. The FTA-2000 look interesting. I think single driver systems are perfect for near field.

May 4, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Another option, still liked by the single-driver crowd from what I understand, is the Hammer Dynamics Super 12. Single driver for MUCh of the range, with a tweeter for the higher highs.

Kit form for sale, though you may occasionally see them used and built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back