Anyone heard of Minerva customs?
Mar 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #31 of 42
I've had my Mi-1's for a few of days now. As previously mentioned, there have been a few bumps since I ordered but I have most of the weekend to listen and attempt to write up a review which I'll be posting on Head-Fi. Probably it's own thread with a link here.

There's quite a bit to go into this one and I have a few other commitments draining my resources too.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #32 of 42
Hi guys,

One of the resident IEM reviewers on another site I frequent has also posted a review of the Mi-3's.

Given the sheer number of reviews I've seen him post up I was very surprised at how positive he was! Head and shoulders above all the non-custom IEM's (he hasn't reviewed any other customs before).

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=202&t=902436&mid=42120&nmt=Headphone/Earphone+Reviews+++M-R#Minerva_Mi-3

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #34 of 42
Nice review oft the Mi-3. Wished there were more comparisons to the top-tier universals.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #36 of 42
Jan 7, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #38 of 42
I don't have anything against Minerva at all, but honestly, they're behind the curve when it comes to CIEM design, and even though their prices aren't bad, you can get better and cheaper alternatives that sound just as good or better.

Anyone can get a superior alternative to either the Performer Pro or the Artist in the CustomArt Music Two and the Cosmic Ears BA2, respectively (for silicone and acrylic), and I can state that as basically a fact, without even needing to listen to either the Performer Pro or the Artist.

Why do I know this? Because the Music Two and the BA2 both use the same core driver setup as the Performer Pro/Artist, except that:
  • Music Two has superior, more advanced, acoustic design to the Performer Pro and is tuned specifically for music listening, rather than stage work.
  • The Cosmic BA2 is half the price of the Artist.

Note: the Performer Pro and Artist use a red (2200 Ω) damper in front of the 1723WT03, which makes the response look more like this (instead of what is attached on the final page of the Headfonics review):

​
The Performer Pro and Artist will look more like the bottommost grey trace (labeled SSD 03, 2200 Ohms, red) than the damperless orange trace, which is what is shown in the Headfonics review.

Note also that the bass response will also be about 3-4 dB less than what is show here, because they use the 1723WT03 instead of the 1723TW03/9, which is vented.

Case for the CustomArt Music Two vs. Performer Pro
  1. The Music Two uses venting with back volume restriction to control bass levels while maintaining bass extension. The result is better textured bass without roll-off, and no penalties on midrange intrustion, either.
  2. It uses a segmented acoustic horn without dampers to control tubing resonances in the treble, meaning more detail without harshness.
  3. Has the option for removable cables, while the Performer Pro doesn't.
  4. Cheaper (1150 PLN = ~228 £)

Case for the Cosmic Ears BA2 vs. Minerva Artist:
  1. Cosmic's cables have the UE-style braided design, which is more pliable.
  2. Much Cheaper (150 £)

The only reason for buying the Minerva CIEMs would be the following:
  1. You really want to support a UK company (perhaps because you're British).
  2. You live in the UK and don't want to pay for international shipping to either Poland or Sweden.
  3. You work for/with a company with an existing connection with Minerva (e.g. BBC) and can receive a discount.
  4. You don't intend to use CIEMs for personal listening and would much prefer rolled off highs.
  5. You really need a C-grid wax guard, e.g. if you have ceruminosis.

I might come off as being harsh against Minerva, but this has nothing to do with them, and more to do with the fact that other companies offer better products for less. I'm just not sugarcoating my statements. Build quality-wise, I see no evidence supporting Minerva being any better than either of the two aforementioned companies. Minerva also doesn't seem to offer wider ranging aesthetics options, either.

The fact of the matter is that Minerva is a hearing protection company with ties to the hearing aid industry; they're not interested in pushing the boundaries of audio performance.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #39 of 42
  I don't have anything against Minerva at all, but honestly, they're behind the curve when it comes to CIEM design, and even though their prices aren't bad, you can get better and cheaper alternatives that sound just as good or better.

Anyone can get a superior alternative to either the Performer Pro or the Artist in the CustomArt Music Two and the Cosmic Ears BA2, respectively (for silicone and acrylic), and I can state that as basically a fact, without even needing to listen to either the Performer Pro or the Artist.

Why do I know this? Because the Music Two and the BA2 both use the same core driver setup as the Performer Pro/Artist, except that:
  • Music Two has superior, more advanced, acoustic design to the Performer Pro and is tuned specifically for music listening, rather than stage work.
  • The Cosmic BA2 is half the price of the Artist.

Note: the Performer Pro and Artist use a red (2200 Ω) damper in front of the 1723WT03, which makes the response look more like this (instead of what is attached on the final page of the Headfonics review):

​
The Performer Pro and Artist will look more like the bottommost grey trace (labeled SSD 03, 2200 Ohms, red) than the damperless orange trace, which is what is shown in the Headfonics review.

Note also that the bass response will also be about 3-4 dB less than what is show here, because they use the 1723WT03 instead of the 1723TW03/9, which is vented.

Case for the CustomArt Music Two vs. Performer Pro
  1. The Music Two uses venting with back volume restriction to control bass levels while maintaining bass extension. The result is better textured bass without roll-off, and no penalties on midrange intrustion, either.
  2. It uses a segmented acoustic horn without dampers to control tubing resonances in the treble, meaning more detail without harshness.
  3. Has the option for removable cables, while the Performer Pro doesn't.
  4. Cheaper (1150 PLN = ~228 £)

Case for the Cosmic Ears BA2 vs. Minerva Artist:
  1. Cosmic's cables have the UE-style braided design, which is more pliable.
  2. Much Cheaper (150 £)

The only reason for buying the Minerva CIEMs would be the following:
  1. You really want to support a UK company (perhaps because you're British).
  2. You live in the UK and don't want to pay for international shipping to either Poland or Sweden.
  3. You work for/with a company with an existing connection with Minerva (e.g. BBC) and can receive a discount.
  4. You don't intend to use CIEMs for personal listening and would much prefer rolled off highs.
  5. You really need a C-grid wax guard, e.g. if you have ceruminosis.

I might come off as being harsh against Minerva, but this has nothing to do with them, and more to do with the fact that other companies offer better products for less. I'm just not sugarcoating my statements. Build quality-wise, I see no evidence supporting Minerva being any better than either of the two aforementioned companies. Minerva also doesn't seem to offer wider ranging aesthetics options, either.

The fact of the matter is that Minerva is a hearing protection company with ties to the hearing aid industry; they're not interested in pushing the boundaries of audio performance.

Just to balance it out for fairness sake, you do have to pay for shipping from Cosmic (fair enough) so that does add to the basic cost, and if you are in a hurry then for a fee (also fair enough) Minerva will do it rush turnaround for 48 hours so pros and cons on both sides.  Massive fan of CE though and would certainly recommend CE for customer service (not that there's anything wrong with Minerva either, it's just Phil does go above and beyond.  It was my rather unique situation that led to the prefit service being introduced).  Still the fact that CE doesn't deal in silicone ciems should make it easier to decide anyway.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #40 of 42
I ordered my minerva pro ciem's just before Christmas and just got an email that they are being shipped next week. I looked at the custom art site and the only ciem's available are single drivers so no go for me. I also looked at spiral ears and for a european company I still can do better shipping from America to the UK for the asking price

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #41 of 42
  Just to balance it out for fairness sake, you do have to pay for shipping from Cosmic (fair enough) so that does add to the basic cost, and if you are in a hurry then for a fee (also fair enough) Minerva will do it rush turnaround for 48 hours so pros and cons on both sides.  Massive fan of CE though and would certainly recommend CE for customer service (not that there's anything wrong with Minerva either, it's just Phil does go above and beyond.  It was my rather unique situation that led to the prefit service being introduced).  Still the fact that CE doesn't deal in silicone ciems should make it easier to decide anyway.

As I mentioned, UK people are better-served, being that Minerva is local. How much does the 48 hour rush cost?
Again, I have nothing against Minerva, but if people are after sound, for the same drivers and form factor, Minerva is not quite there, and that's a statement I stand behind 100%, with the full extent of what I know about IEM circuit design and driver makeup.

I ordered my minerva pro ciem's just before Christmas and just got an email that they are being shipped next week. I looked at the custom art site and the only ciem's available are single drivers so no go for me. I also looked at spiral ears and for a european company I still can do better shipping from America to the UK for the asking price

I mentioned that the Music Two used the exact same drivers as the Performer Pro, so that's two drivers --- the CustomArt website hasn't been updated in a long time. He's had dual and triple-driver models since the beginning, in addition to the single driver models. There's also an upcoming six-driver model. Is shipping somehow cheaper to the UK? I've never heard of that. International shipping is all the same.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #42 of 42
I meant price wise plus shipping, Spiral Ears SE 5-way Reference Custom IEM's are €1269 plus shipping. JH Audio JH11 Pro Custom are $850 (€625) That is a big difference in price and I rate the JH Audio ciems highly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back