Anyone have tips on recognizing a Fake IE80?
Oct 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #31 of 113
Quote:
Just not possible to get a 'real' pair brand new for 80 Euros, that would be less than the wholesale price. The Chinese are very good at copies.

However they are real. Unless they have made an exact copy, very different from the pictures I see on this forum. 

Also the sound signature matches what I read from other users. How could they even copy a headphone exactly, and make it sound exactly the same and then sell it for less than what they pay for it? I assume they don't have an automated production for those copies. 

It was an auction, it wasn't like I was the only bidder and the seller has a good reputation. Is there any way I can check the production number or something on these?

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #32 of 113
I doubt it there's a serial number or similar, which could track it back...

I think, they (the sound of them) are/is well worth € 220 which is the retail price here in Germany.
I should not have sent them back. 
confused.gif

Waitnig for new ones
gs1000.gif
 listening to my new AKG K-702s, they are my new reference 
darthsmile.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #33 of 113
any comparison pics of the IEM's themselves? more specifically the metal screen/filter right on the tip. After 6 months of owning these I'm beginning to belive they are fakes, all the rest of the pics match up and lead me to believe they are FAKE...

It sure makes sense, as to why I never liked the ie80's, I just thought it wasn't my type of sound...

*edit* I can post pictures of my set, can someone post some pics of genuine ie80's macro/close up shots of the filter/metal screen?

These were purchased from a very well respected and highly regarded head-fi'er, as well as from best buy... so it leaves me a bit baffled.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #34 of 113
Hello all, I might have made a mistake by buying for some IE80 on ebay for 67€. Is from a Chinese dealer and here are some photos http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=6_003.jpg&username=chunmei11&aid=596499542

And here is a identical pair http://www.ebay.es/itm/Sennheiser-IE-80-Earphones-NEW-IN-BOX-/140881493203?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item20cd30fcd3

Should I make the payment or tell this seller that I cannot make the payment?

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #35 of 113
Quote:
Hello all, I might have made a mistake by buying for some IE80 on ebay for 67€. Is from a Chinese dealer and here are some photos http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=6_003.jpg&username=chunmei11&aid=596499542

And here is a identical pair http://www.ebay.es/itm/Sennheiser-IE-80-Earphones-NEW-IN-BOX-/140881493203?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item20cd30fcd3

Should I make the payment or tell this seller that I cannot make the payment?

Personally, I wouldnt commit to buy, but you can always ask them to cancel under suspicion that they are fake(otherwise they can give you a strike if you dont pay). Most sellers would rather not deal with the hassle of a tough customer and will usually cancel the order; especially if they know they are selling illegitimate goods.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #36 of 113

So I bought these for 80 euros. They definitely seemed real, the sound signature matches the descriptions online.
I bought them from: http://myworld.ebay.nl/chunmei_518/?_trksid=p4340.l2559 he has a 99% positive feedback score, with over 1300 customers.

They had decent enough detail for in ears, good soundstage but the midbass was way to overpowering.
I liked the ie80s better than the shure se425s and I bought these from an authorised seller. 

I did end up selling these because I like my closed headphones better in every single way. 
I do think they were real, but take a look at the photos and see if you can see any anomalies.

EDIT: I did win them in an auction. 80 Euros was not the standard price.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #37 of 113
Quote:
any comparison pics of the IEM's themselves? more specifically the metal screen/filter right on the tip. After 6 months of owning these I'm beginning to belive they are fakes, all the rest of the pics match up and lead me to believe they are FAKE...

It sure makes sense, as to why I never liked the ie80's, I just thought it wasn't my type of sound...

*edit* I can post pictures of my set, can someone post some pics of genuine ie80's macro/close up shots of the filter/metal screen?

These were purchased from a very well respected and highly regarded head-fi'er, as well as from best buy... so it leaves me a bit baffled.

Hmm are you referring to ie2han? I kinda have my doubts he'd rip you off. Do you have the original receipt? You could verify that way then. Best buy doesn't sell fakes. They are a Sennheiser Authorized dealer.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #38 of 113
Quote:

So I bought these for 80 euros. They definitely seemed real, the sound signature matches the descriptions online.
I bought them from: http://myworld.ebay.nl/chunmei_518/?_trksid=p4340.l2559 he has a 99% positive feedback score, with over 1300 customers.

They had decent enough detail for in ears, good soundstage but the midbass was way to overpowering.
I liked the ie80s better than the shure se425s and I bought these from an authorised seller. 

I did end up selling these because I like my closed headphones better in every single way. 
I do think they were real, but take a look at the photos and see if you can see any anomalies.

The indention of the silver faceplate seems off. It seems deeper than a genuine pair. A genuine pair should seem flush with the grey housing area. 80 euro is too good to be true. My first pair of IE8s I scored for $265 and that was considered a very good deal. The seller was a non authorized dealer but acquired them from an Authorized dealer in Germany.

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 113
Quote:

The indention of the silver faceplate seems off. It seems deeper than a genuine pair. A genuine pair should seem flush with the grey housing area. 80 euro is too good to be true. My first pair of IE8s I scored for $265 and that was considered a very good deal. The seller was a non authorized dealer but acquired them from an Authorized dealer in Germany.

Well I did win them in an auction, so 80 euros was not a standard price.

And the indention is accentuated by the light I used, and the high contrast of the photo.
However the box seems real, it does not have those errors the known fakes have. Also I just can't believe they would go through all that trouble to make it actually sound good. 
If it sounds as good as the real thing (or atleast nearly as good) than why not just start your own company, change the appearance and sell them for double the price.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #40 of 113
Quote:
Well I did win them in an auction, so 80 euros was not a standard price.

And the indention is accentuated by the light I used, and the high contrast of the photo.
However the box seems real, it does not have those errors the known fakes have. Also I just can't believe they would go through all that trouble to make it actually sound good. 
If it sounds as good as the real thing (or atleast nearly as good) than why not just start your own company, change the appearance and sell them for double the price.

Thing is Marley if it is indeed a fake and you never heard the real thing for yourself, you will never know how good the actual unit may sound. You can go off of speculation but in the end having real life experience is very different.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #41 of 113
Quote:
Thing is Marley if it is indeed a fake and you never heard the real thing for yourself, you will never know how good the actual unit may sound. You can go off of speculation but in the end having real life experience is very different.

Well I owned the Shure SE425, and I liked the IE80s better than them. If they are fake, than the fakers are some good sound engineers.
Also I have access to sound quality which is much much better than any universal IEM, so I can tell when sound is absolutely crap.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #42 of 113
Guys ! Thank you for this good and helpful thread :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #44 of 113
I bought some fakes off a Canadian retailer for $300. The packaging and box were identical to a fake one. However, even though they are fake, they sound quite good, so I guess its not a total loss.

tinyman392 compared them to the UE900, PFE232, and Westone 4R, and vs the UE900, the IE80 seems better. He prefers the sound of the IE80 to the PFE232 even though he does say the PFE232s are better in technicality. He says the 4R ties with the IE80, but he prefers the 4R. So I guess in the end, those were REALLY good fakes, and its not a total loss.

Here's his full review:

Disclaimer: I do have a few words to say before I begin.  I do not feel the most confident with the seal I’m getting with the IE80.  I was expecting a tad bit more quantity to the lows (I was actually expecting them to exceed the PFEs).  With that said, please take everything with a grain of salt.  

I would tip roll and experiment some more, but I simply just don’t have the time.  Unfortunately, for me, it’s midterm time (2 down, 1 to go; the hardest 1 to go).  I also have a few reviews to write as well (I got other products at the same time these came in; I wasn’t expecting that).  With all that said, please do take this with a grain of salt.

Senn IE80 Bass nob

Increasing the IE80 bass nob really only affects the lower lows than anything else.  It creates a bump in the low-to-sub bass.  Increases impact and texturing at the cost of punch.

UE900

With the nob down, the IE80 represents a UE900 with stronger treble and slightly better texturing.  Midrange detailing is a wash though.  The IE80s do have a few flaws though.

Bass: The IE80 bass tends to be able to dig deeper than the UE900, not just in the perceived sense either.  The texturing, is increased a little better as well since it’s more fluid over the 900s.  The impact with the 80s also seems a little stronger over the 900s, however, the 900s have better overall linearity.  They also have a slightly tighter punch (the IE80 is still tight though).  It may be slight improvements, but the IE80 takes it by a hair.  

Increasing the bass nob puts the IE80 further ahead of the UE900 in terms of quantity, but sacrifices a little more punch. Overall, the increase is positive though.

Mids: The IE80 tends to do slightly better in the higher octaves.  This results in stronger clarity and sweetness to every voice.  Detailing is just about on par with the UE900.  However, the UE900 does vocal lushness better than the IE80 while maintaining good clarity.  Both have equal dynamics, but focus on different areas.  Although they are technically at the same level, I do prefer the IE80 for vocals.  However, it’s a wash at the end of the day.

Highs: The IE80s have a slight bit of sibilance to them that makes them slightly unfavorable over the UE900.  The 80s do show much more energy in the high end over the 900s, but with the cost.  The detailing is about on par with the 900s, however, separation is slightly better done on the 900s.  Snare snaps are also a little better with the 900s overall.  For the high end, I would take the 900 over the IE80 any day.

Westone W4R

With the bass boosted, the IE80s bass matches that of the W4R, it’s a little higher actually.  Without the boost, the quantity is a lot less than the W4R.  The signatures are very similar here, the W4 seems to have a slight warmth over the IE80s (bass down) and has less energetic treble.

Bass: The bass on the IE80 has much greater depth than the W4R.  It has more quantity at this level as well.  Punches are actually better done with the W4R however, as are impacts.  It really matters what you value the most in terms of bass here.  The W4R has a slightly tighter punch, but much stronger impact while the IE80s tend to do much better down low.

If you turn up the nob, however, the IE80 bring in a much stronger impact, walking the line of boomy.  The W4 will always be better with the tighter punch.  However, being able to surpass the W4 a tad bit with customization of pumping bass puts the IE80 a leg up on the W4.

Mids:  The mids on the W4s are much warmer than that on the IE80 due to the mid-bass boost.  The detailing on the W4s seem to be a tad bit above that of the IE80.  Not the same can be said about the clarity and sweetness however.  The IE80 just simply excels here.  Although the W4 can perform lush vocals with a sweet hymn, the IE80 do much better with the instrumentals and their dynamics.  The IE80s do fare slightly better with the midrange over the W4 in this aspect.

Highs: I’ve been able to find both of these IEMs sibilant, but in different situations.  The The IE80’s, however, occurs much more than the W4s.  Separation is also a huge leg up with the 4s over the 80s simply entering a different dimension.  Detailing as well.  The only thing the IE80 really does well over the W4 is energy in the highs.  They become a little too energetic though.  The W4s take this one by a long shot.  

I honestly can’t really choose a winner straight off here.  Compared to the W4, the IE80s do so much wrong in the treble, while the W4 make slight errors in comparison to the IE80 in mids and lows.  I really want to say it’s a wash.  My personal preference of IEM here would be the W4.

PFE232

I’m going to be perfectly honest right now.  When I got the IE80s, I was expecting a sound very similar to the 232 bass-wise.  Unfortunately, even with the grey filters the bass quantity just didn’t match up.  Boosting the lows on the IE80 did help the quantity become comparable, but 232s still have more.  The mids are better with the 80s though, that’s for sure.

Bass: As stated earlier, the PFE232 do much better with quantity, but also overall quality.  Let’s start off the IE80 on a good foot regarding bass (it’s only one really).  It has a tighter punch over the 232s.  The 232 impact is much stronger in reference to the IE80, however, both IEMs offer an ample amount to really satisfy this requirement.  The difference comes with the texturing though.  The 232s do just a much better job of keeping fluidity, along with a nice thicker body and slower decay.  It’s really, euphoric.  

You can bump the bass on the IE80 to have it better matched to the PFE, but it’s of no use really.  The PFE still fares better with the texturing, and slightly in the impact regardless.  That said, the PFE takes this one.

Mids: The 232s start with strong vocals, but do give up a lot of instrumental power to do this.  There is a hint of clarity to them, but it just simply isn’t enough, especially when comparing to the IE80.  They are like polar opposites.  Detailing is about the same with both however, the IE80s excel in regard to instrumental dynamics.  The PFE fares better with vocals however, though the IE80 is sweeter.  The PFEs lose this round to the IE80

Highs: Like with the W4, this is really no contest.  The PFE232 have extremely linear treble (with respect to the treble, not the whole spectrum) to my ears.  The detailing is exquisite, and the IE80 is able to match it up higher.  However, the PFE232 just excel at the separation and the extensions in the lower highs.  The IE80s still have slightly more energy than the PFE, but the PFE still takes this one by a long shot.

The PFE is technically better than the IE80 here in regards to both bass and treble (as well as overall).  The IE80 puts up a strong fight, exploiting many of the Phonak’s weaknesses, but it just isn’t enough.  My preference of sound, contrary to what is said above, would actually go towards the IE80 in this case, not the Phonak (although Phonak is technically better).

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #45 of 113
Quote:
I bought some fakes off a Canadian retailer for $300. The packaging and box were identical to a fake one. However, even though they are fake, they sound quite good, so I guess its not a total loss.

tinyman392 compared them to the UE900, PFE232, and Westone 4R, and vs the UE900, the IE80 seems better. He prefers the sound of the IE80 to the PFE232 even though he does say the PFE232s are better in technicality. He says the 4R ties with the IE80, but he prefers the 4R. So I guess in the end, those were REALLY good fakes, and its not a total loss.

Ahh hell no lol. I wouldn't stand for buying a fake and at $300.00 are you joking me? Can't you get your money back? I went through an ordeal just like this myself and in the end got my money back. Still I just learned to stay away and only buy from authorized dealers. Just not worth the risk. If it seems too good to be true it just is guys :p. But at $300.00 that doesn't sound too good to be true. Looks like this asses are getting good at the game (charging more to reassure you they are real). But pretty much if they can't prove they are an authorized dealer then by all means they really can't trick you into buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back