Anyone have or hear Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Nov 13, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 8
I ordered it today, tower records has a 25%off till midnight

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 8
If you're a DTfan, then it's definitely worthwhile, though it doesn't sound much like any of their other albums, save The Glass Prison, which has a sequel song on here. The album is very heavy, experimental, and has the potential to piss off a lot of people, since it has all the "pitfalls" of prog music amplified to the N-th degree, and it also has a very short spoken word/rap section in one song (which I actually enjoy). That said, there is nothing commerical about this album, most of the songs are 10+ minutes. There are many familiar sounding riffs to fans of Metallica, so be forewarned, though I don't think they're meant as rip-offs, more as tributes to one of DT's greatest influences that has now fallen in shame.

The lyrics aren't the best DT has done, but some of the music is stunning like none they've done before. Don't get me wrong, I still prfer SFAM, but there's some unbelievably sick stuff on this album. Jordan uses much better sounding key patches than he has in the past, even going for a heavy guitar-tone on occation which makes for some interesting Tipton-Downing like duels with Petrucci. The production of the album is very heavy, and very good. Myung is heard better than ever before!

Basically I can see how many close-minded prog snobs or metalheads might not like this album, but I really like it a lot, I'm still not sure where it fits in the DT lexicon, since it's so different, but I know for sure that all 7 tracks are worthwhile, unlike of WDADU and FII.

Nov 13, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Well, that's more than what I needed to hear. Tonight I will buy and tomorrow I will review.

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
Well, that's more than what I needed to hear.

I guess after listening to it all day, I got a little over-excited
biggrin.gif
But I suppose that's bound to happen when your favorite band puts one a new one.

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 8
oh, very understandable. I raved about A Perfect Circle's "Thirteenth Step." And, I'll stand by my statements that that is a GREAT album, album of the year even
wink.gif
eek.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, I loved every Dream Theater release up to 6doit which didn't live up to the others but still was good for what it was.

Well, train of thought sounds like metallica from the early 90's with a horrible singer
frown.gif

I recommend that you listen to it before you buy it.. you might like it, but I doubt that anyone will like it for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back