Anyone have any Dream Theater recommendations?
Apr 1, 2003 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
Right now, I have two Dream Theater albums: the 1994 Awake and the 1999 Scenes From a Memory.

I have only listened to Awake a few times and I don't really care for it too much...I like SFAM, but at times they just go too overboard, coming off as prententious.

What are people's thoughts on these albums, and what are some other good'uns to get?

Apr 1, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
Right now, I have two Dream Theater albums: the 1994 Awake and the 1999 Scenes From a Memory.

I have only listened to Awake a few times and I don't really care for it too much...I like SFAM, but at times they just go too overboard, coming off as prententious.

What are people's thoughts on these albums, and what are some other good'uns to get?

Actually, I do like both Awake and Scenes from a Memory; but they are not my favorites.

I would highly recommend: "Images And Words" and the latest one "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence"

Also; check out "Falling Into Infinity" which is not a favorite among most DT Fans, but is very good in my opinion.

Apr 2, 2003 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 8
awake is probably my favorite dream theater album. images and words tends to be the most highly acclaimed when it comes to the band's prog-rock fans. i like it, but awake is grittier and more ballsy.

actually, i think dream theater's first album, when dream and day unite, is seriously underrated and has some great compositions - definitely not as "overboard" or pretentious as their later stuff (the new one, six degrees of inner turbulence, reeks of pretentiousness imho).

b

Apr 2, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 8
I find their latest horribly pretentious. I think it's terrible, but other think it the next best thing since Tales From Topographic Oceans
wink.gif

Scenes From A Memory is my favourite, it is a tad overboard here and there, but IMO the music is fantastic. Awake is close in second actually, lots of edge in there. it does need some time, and it's not something I listen too all the time. lyrically and keyboard-wise head and shoulders above the other albums, and musically very powerfull (once you get the hang of it I guess). most people really like Image&Words, so I recommend checking that one. a bit too happy hair-band 80s feel to it, but that might just be me. great music overall tho. Falling Into Infinity was heavily influence by their record company, a terrible attempt at airplay. some overly cheesy pop songs and some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard, to the point of being physically painfull. there are two or three very good songs on there tho, but it's not a CD to just spin and enjoy start to finish. I'd say download Trail Of Tears and Peruvian Sky, perhaps Hells Kitchen, and leave the rest for what it is.

I never dared checking their first, When Dream And Day Unite, cause they had a different singer then, which most people think is nowhere near as good as the one they got now...and I think that one isn't too good to start with.

other band to check: Pain Of Salvation, albums: Remedy Lane or Perfect Element Pt1. not pretentious, but very complex, experimental, great singing. unusual band.

Apr 2, 2003 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Hey Johnny & Braver
I finally figured out connection between Porcupine Tree and Opeth, PT main man Steve Wilson produced Opeth album "deliverance" so probably worked together with Akerfeldt on creative aspects. He even plays with band on newest "damnation" CD as well as production duties.

I really like new Porcupine Tree "in absentia" but as Braver has warned me I probably won't like previous albums as well since Absentia is more rock oriented than any previous PT work.

I tried a couple Dream Theater CDs but don't care for them, so can't help you here.

Apr 2, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I never dared checking their first, When Dream And Day Unite, cause they had a different singer then, which most people think is nowhere near as good as the one they got now...and I think that one isn't too good to start with.

most of the people who don't like the original vocalist are the same people who like james labrie. so if you don't like him i'd say you actually have a better chance of liking the original singer... did that make sense?

anyway, i think domenici (the original singer) is decent, maybe a little cheesy, but he certainly doesn't have labrie's tendency to sing way outside his listenable range.

b

Apr 2, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by bwu

anyway, i think domenici (the original singer) is decent, maybe a little cheesy, but he certainly doesn't have labrie's tendency to sing way outside his listenable range.

just out of curiousity, any specific songs you are referring to, about lebrie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back