Anyone has info about the new Sony flagship SACD player?
May 30, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 35
May 2003 ish of Hi-Fi Choice has a paragraph about it. "...Prices are anticipated to be above current ES levels but you won't be able to buy one until October." They also mention the matching amp with which it will be digitally connected via i-Link. It's also reviewed in one of the British classical music mags (Gramophone?).

May 30, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 35
Is it also a DVD player and does it play DVD-Audio discs? I've been wondering how Sony is going to handle/react to the trend toward universal players. Will anyone spend $5K on a SACD-only machine???
confused.gif

May 30, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 35
markl: I guess I'm a dinosaur but I'm about to drop right at that much (5K) for a used redbook only cdp in the next week or so.

May 30, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Is it also a DVD player and does it play DVD-Audio discs? I've been wondering how Sony is going to handle/react to the trend toward universal players. Will anyone spend $5K on a SACD-only machine???
confused.gif

These people are called audiophiles
wink.gif

But, Joe Sixpack however will not ever spend that much, even if it did play DVD-A
wink.gif

May 30, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 35
Yeah, sheesh, tom, a SACD-only machinea are soooo 6 months ago!
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

It will still be interesting to see how it does. I have no doubt based on earlier Sony Flagship SACDPs. it will be amazing. Still at some point Sony will have to address the DVD-A issue.

Mark

May 30, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 35
markl: The only time I've had a chance to listen to SACD on A really nice system is 3 times on the new Shanling cd-t200 and at a friends several times with the Sony SCD-1. Every time I was floored by the sound. Sad to say the music I listen to most(electronica type) does not lend it self well to the SACD format, and I doubt it will ever have even the smallest amount of software. Thats why I've decided to go with the best redbook player I can afford. I'm not into starting over with vinyl so I've looked and listened and I'm going with the least digital sounding CDP that maintains the most detail of any cdp I've heard.

May 30, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
It's also reviewed in one of the British classical music mags (Gramophone?).

Gramophone reviewed the 777, not the new upcoming player. However, it did mention the new player but not a lot of info was provided.

May 30, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 35
I hate the idea of universal players. I'd rather have all of the development effort going toward perfection of one format's playback. I guess they are better for those who just want to hook it up to their TV and kiplisch surround system.

Although, I might buy a 963 one of these days.

May 30, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 35
Tim: The good thing about the 963 is it has perfection in one area. DVD playback.

May 30, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 35
exactly!

I wouldn't use it as my audio source, but for watching movies, and listening to stuff i want that might happen to be on SACD

May 30, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 35
Tim: Every time I watch a movie at my brothers house I wish I would have kept the 963 for myself and gave him a shirt for his B-day. Your right about multi purpose players. I wonder how much better the 963 would have been at DVD had they put the money into better constuction, design, or parts instead of trying to make something for everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back