Anyone going to the Massive Attack show at the Carlu in Toronto?
Oct 6, 2006 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
I am.
340smile.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 6
The concert was amazing... I've been wanting to see MA for so long.
smily_headphones1.gif

Del Naja and Daddy G were there along with Horace Andy, Elizabeth, and an unknown female singer [black] who sounded almost identical to Shara Nelson... though I have my doubts that it was her.

My only regret is that, though they played tons of songs off of Blue Lines, they never did Five Man Army... which is my personal favourite.

Still, I finally got the Blue Lines shirt I've been trying to find for years and I got the rare pleasure of seeing 3D dance.
biggrin.gif
[Must be seen to be believed]

Best. Concert. Ever.

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 6
J, glad you got to go!
biggrin.gif

I saw MA at the Hollywood Bowl 2 weeks ago, was awesome. I wish I had gone all out and bought the super close seats, but it sounded wonderful regardless.

I hope we'll both get the chance to see them again before not too long.

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 6
I was there and enjoyed it greatly. But I was pretty worried when the show started that it was going to be ruined by venue problems. Namely that it was way too crowded on the floor, and the sound wasn't loud enough. They seemed to have sold tix based on the capacity of the whole place, not just the room MA were playing in (which was of course where everyone was squeezed into during the show). Couple that with the RIDICULOUS bar lineup/wait and I got just barely inside the room when they started playing. We remedied the problems by just getting as close to the right speaker column as possible, which resulted in a great view and sound at a decent volume level. From there the band's performance overcame everything else. Philo, where were you standing/sitting, and how was the sound there (in terms of volume)?

They played a very similar set to the last time I'd seen them, eight years ago. Still, they had Elizibeth Fraser with them this time, which was great, and the whole band was on point. I'll say that I'd be very hesitant to see another big show in that venue, though. It's very nice, but they didn't seem prepared enough for a show like that.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 6
So that was Elizabeth Fraser... I wondered. She didn't really sound as good as she does recorded, but still amazing. Any idea who the black lady was? She was pretty damn good.

I was sitting in the second row on the balcony right in the middle. Couldn't have asked for better seats.
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound was awesome and not *too* loud.

I agree that the drink ticket thing was pretty dumb and it was packed... still a nice venue. We should count ourselves lucky that we got to see MA in such an 'intimate' location. Most of the other venues on their tour are a lot bigger. Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
I hope we'll both get the chance to see them again before not too long.

Definately.
smily_headphones1.gif

It was without a doubt the best concert that I've been to... though Depeche Mode and Tori Amos were both amazing as well.
340smile.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Glad to hear you guys liked their show, I saw them in Denver a few months ago. 'Twas a once-in-a-lifetime moment for me, I never thought I would see them live. My crowd went nuts over Safe From Harm and Inertia Creeps. My only regret is not being able to meet them, I wanted my copy of Mezzanine autographed.
frown.gif

I'd say there's a good chance we'll be seeing them on tour again - if this tour was just for Collected, imagine what they'd do for LP5 which is slated for next year!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back