Anyone excited for Amazon's new Kindles?
Sep 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.amazon.com/

"Today we're excited to introduce the all-new Kindle Fire HD.

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G isn't just the best tablet for the price, it's the best tablet. $499 now gets you a large-screen HD tablet with a stunning 8.9" display, exclusive Dolby audio, dual stereo speakers, the fastest Wi-Fi, ultra-fast 4G LTE wireless, plus our new unprecedented $49.99 one-year 4G data package. Customers save hundreds of dollars in the first year compared to other 4G tablets. Kindle Fire HD 8.9" is also available in a Wi-Fi only model for $299.

Kindle Fire HD is the world's most-advanced 7" tablet, with a stunning HD display, plus the same exclusive Dolby audio, dual stereo speakers, the fastest Wi-Fi, and 16 GB of storage. Kindle Fire HD is just $199.

We are also introducing the world's most advanced e-readers, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite 3G.

You'll do a double take when you see Kindle Paperwhite—we've added 62% more pixels and increased contrast by 25%, so whites are whiter, and blacks are blacker. We've also added a revolutionary built-in front light for the perfect reading experience whether you're out at the beach or at home in bed. Kindle Paperwhite starts from just $119. Kindle Paperwhite 3G is available for $179 with free 3G wireless—never pay for or hunt for a Wi-Fi hotspot. We've also updated our smallest, lightest Kindle with improved fonts and 15% faster page turns—it now starts at just $69.

Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Paperwhite are each in a class by themselves when it comes to hardware—there's nothing better. But the real magic is that they are also a service. When combined with our enormous content ecosystem, unmatched cross-platform interoperability and standard-setting customer service, we hope people will agree these are the best tablets and e-readers anywhere, at any price."

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm bouncing off the walls regarding their new Kindle Paperwhite.

I've had the Kindle Touch for about a year now, and it's one of the best investments I've ever made.

Anyone else? Their new Fire HD tablets look pretty awesome too. Bet those will be flying off the shelves...

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Some pretty big promises going on here. We'll see, but we might finally have an iPad competitor (IMO no one has comes close yet). 

Excited to see some initial impressions. Might have to get a Paperwhite for myself.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 10
I AM. :)
Actually those are the very first Kindle Fire models being sold in Italy so I am quite excited (they just launched the App-Shop so I was expecting it). :D

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 10
its amazing how good tablets have gotten
i have a $600 laptop i got last year and the kindle fire hd has more pixels and better wifi chip than it- shows you how much laptop makers are ripping us off...

what im excited for is the kindle
ive always wanted a kindle and it looks pretty good
mid 200 ppi screen and 8 week battery life (30 min per day with backlight), and backlighting
all for just over $100

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 10
I like what I've seen from all the internet coverage, but I'm not 100% sold. Apple should be announcing their new line-up in a few days, so the 'wow factor' of the new Kindles could be overshadowed by some new iPads.

Also, $500 for the 4G 9-inch version seems a little high price-wise, though it's probably geared to the people who are buying iPads anyways. I did notice is that the $50 a year internet data package is only for 250 MB a month. That's not going to be enough for most tablet users.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 10
The price is somewhat offset by the fact it has 32gb of memory though. Considering the $500 iPads only have WiFi and 16gb...I think it's a pretty good price point. It also sounds like there will be yearly 4G plans with more, too. 

Quote:
I like what I've seen from all the internet coverage, but I'm not 100% sold. Apple should be announcing their new line-up in a few days, so the 'wow factor' of the new Kindles could be overshadowed by some new iPads.

Also, $500 for the 4G 9-inch version seems a little high price-wise, though it's probably geared to the people who are buying iPads anyways. I did notice is that the $50 a year internet data package is only for 250 MB a month. That's not going to be enough for most tablet users.

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 10
I just read that Bing is the default search engine on the new Fire HD. 
blink.gif

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/09/amazons-kindle-fire-hd-uses-bing-as-default-search-engine.html

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 10
The Kindle's closed ecosystem makes an iPad look like an open-source device. It's even more "purposed" for consuming content. Having said that the Prime memberships do look like a good value if consuming video content is your priority. Having said that the new e-ink Paperwhites look great as well. But having said that I still prefer an iPad to both, with the new retina display I think I could even use it as an e-reader.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Nah, I'm too attached to my jailbroken iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back