Anyone else waiting for an electrostatic amplifier from RSA?
Dec 17, 2006 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
I wonder if we will ever see an electrostatic headphone amplifier from RSA (Ray Samuels Audio)?
Ray build excellent sounding and great looking amplifiers, but they are limited to dynamic headphones only. Where I, and many others, prefer electrostatic headphones.

His new creation, the B-52 looks stunning.
Something like that with a Stax Pro connector, and I would buy one instantly!
lambda.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 51
It may be awhile since I would suspect the demand is not that large.

I talked to him recently about a balance solid state and it is a ways off yet.

By the time he catches his breath from the Tomahawk and the B-52, it will be summer I suspect.

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 51
I agree that the demand might not be that large.
But we are talking about a really expensive amplifier ($5,250 for the B-52), so I don't see any high production volumes on either of them anyway.

/me pray that Ray's next amplifier will be an electrostatic one...

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 51
It'd be nice to have more options for electrostatic amps in the "affordable" <$1000 range.

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'd be nice to have more options for electrostatic amps in the "affordable" <$1000 range.

There are already multiple amplifiers available in the <$1,000 range, but very limited in the >$4,000 range.
In my opinion the Singlepower ES-1 could need some competition!
lambda.gif

<$1,000:
Stax SRM-006t(II)
Stax SRM-313
Stax SRM-310
Stax SRM-252II
McAlister Audio AE-1
McAlister Audio AE-4

$1,000 -> 4,000:
Stax SRM-007t(II)
Stax SRM-717
Rudistor Egmont Signature
Rudistor Egmont
WooAudio Stax Electrostatic
HeadAmp Blue Hawaii
HeadAmp KGSS

>$4,000:
Singlepower ES-1
Singlepower Concerto ES
HeadAmp Aristaeus

Blue = Not sure if these are available on the market yet.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 51
It'd be nice to have one from Ray, but in the mean time Mikhail's Singlepower amps are really great! And they're gorgeous too!

Dec 18, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are already multiple amplifiers available in the <$1,000 range, but very limited in the >$4,000 range.
<$1,000:
Stax SRM-006t(II)
Stax SRM-313
Stax SRM-310
Stax SRM-252II
McAlister Audio AE-1
McAlister Audio AE-4

There may be multiple, but nothing that really peaks my interest. A lot of people say that STAX amps aren't anything spectacular to begin with, and there are enough BUDGET/low-fi amps. I guess I should have mentioned a minimum price/quality range I was talking about. I meant options outside of the traditional STAX amps. I should have mentioned that I was talking about upgrades from low-fi. Basically mid-fi amps outside of the traditional STAX offerings. That leaves:

McAlister Audio EA-1 - $799
McAlister Audio EA-4 - $949

Both are tube, from the same manufacturer, and are supposed to be VERY similar designs.

Is there really a need for more super-duper, ELITE, ULTRA-FI amps in the >$4k range (Or maybe just >$1k for that matter?)? I didn't think anyone could be disappointed with the number of high-end electrostatic amplifiers available considering the praise they get here. I always thought that there were enough "Big Boys" to quench people's thirst:

KGSS
BH
Concerto ES
ES-1
EA-6
Aristaeus
HEV90.

Still hungry for more? Do these not get the job more than done or something (And I believe you can tube roll with the tube amps to tweak the sound to your liking)?

O_O

Dec 18, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Both are tube, from the same manufacturer, and are supposed to be VERY similar designs.

Is there really a need for more super-duper, ELITE, ULTRA-FI amps in the >$4k range (Or maybe just >$1k for that matter?)? I didn't think anyone could be disappointed with the number of high-end electrostatic amplifiers available considering the praise they get here. I always thought that there were enough "Big Boys" to quench people's thirst:

If you're after sub-$1k solid state there's always the Airbow 222P and Stax's own SRA-14S to consider. Assuming you can find them.

And yes, the world does indeed need more high-end electrostatic headphone amps. It's more often the amp holding back the headphone than it is the reverse.

Dec 18, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Is there really a need for more super-duper, ELITE, ULTRA-FI amps in the >$4k range

Yes, I really think there is!
Cause in reality the Singlepower ES-1 is the only available (new) electrostatic amplifier in that price range. Neither the Aristaeus or Concerto ES have been released yet, at least as far as I know.

Ok, I am sure the Singlepower ES-1 sound great.
But it looks far from as solid and well built as the RSA B-52. Especially when you look at the chassis.
Which is a major factor for me if I spend more than $5000 on an amplifier...

Ray Samuels. If you read this thread, please comment!
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Yes, I really think there is!
But it looks far from as solid and well built as the RSA B-52. Especially when you look at the chassis.
Which is a major factor for me if I spend more than $5000 on an amplifier...

Yes, the ES-1 sounds great, and is a flawless performer. To say 'it looks far from solid' is simply incorrect, and inflammatory. Have you actually been in the same room as one? The one I have (actually) listened to (more than once) was in the $4k range, and pretty damn solid. There is NO 'fake hustle' on the ES-1.

Finally, the EA-6 is about $1700 currently, though might need some additional design adjustments, which could change the price.

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Which is a major factor for me if I spend more than $5000 on an amplifier..

You might want to base your opinion on actually spending time with one rather than going by what you read/see in pictures. Too many people on here post without having any first-hand experience. The ES-1's shipping weight is 90 pounds. It is quite solid and well built. If you prefer 'bling' over sound-quality then perhaps Singlepower isn't for you although Mikhail will make a custom chassis if you want.

Happy Listening!

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the ES-1 sounds great, and is a flawless performer. To say 'it looks far from solid' is simply incorrect, and inflammatory.

First of all I never said that 'it looks far from solid'. I said that "it looks far from as solid and well built as the RSA B-52.
I am sure the ES-1 is solid and well built. But to my eyes it don't have the bullet-proof build quality as the B-52. Just look at them!
Quote:

Have you actually been in the same room as one? The one I have (actually) listened to (more than once) was in the $4k range, and pretty damn solid.

No, sadly I have never seen a ES-1 in real life.
So I base my above build quality impressions from pictures only.

Compare these images, and tell me which one you think looks more solid:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9...s/DSC_0039.jpg
http://akwok.org/pictures/es-1/IMG_4525.JPG

abs@nilenet.com. I don't comment on the ES-1 vs B-52 internal build quality, as I have never seen internal pictures of the ES-1. I am only talking about how solid their chassis' looks to my eyes.
And I don't question the ES-1 sound quality at all!

Or am I not allowed to have personal opinions around here?
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 51
Were that more people made comparisons of the actual quality, rather than what they wished they heard based on pictures.

By your logic, then, we'd have to infer that my (98% complete) Blue Hawaii sounds like absolute garbage, just based on it's pic:

bluehawaii_small.jpg

I'll let an unbiased group, in a fully open public meet, report back to you how valid looks are in build quality, and the associated sound quality. Against the ES-1, my McAlister EA-6, and a Stax 007t.

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

First of all I never said that 'it looks far from solid'. I said that "it looks far from as solid and well built as the RSA B-52.
I am sure the ES-1 is solid and well built. But to my eyes it don't have the bullet-proof build quality as the B-52. Just look at them!
No, sadly I have never seen a ES-1 in real life.
So I base my above build quality impressions from pictures only.

Compare these images, and tell me which one you think looks more solid:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9...s/DSC_0039.jpg
http://akwok.org/pictures/es-1/IMG_4525.JPG

abs@nilenet.com. I don't comment on the ES-1 vs B-52 internal build quality, as I have never seen internal pictures of the ES-1. I am only talking about how solid their chassis' looks to my eyes.
And I don't question the ES-1 sound quality at all!

Or am I not allowed to have personal opinions around here?
wink.gif

Essentially you are saying you prefer the look of the outer case .... which is an opinion you are certainly entitled to .... but that has nothing to do with build quality.

Personally, I like the simpler lines of the ES-1. But you are comparing a balanced headamp/ preamp with an electrostatic amp.

Look at this pic of the SDS-XLR balanced headamp/preamp that is in a similar price category. Which one do you find more impressive when comparing a B52 balanced headamp/preamp vs a SDS balanced headamp/preamp?

Front (power supply looks the same without the knobs and XLR connectors)
SDS-XLR_Senn_on_top.JPG

Back
SDS-XLR_back.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back