Anyone else tired of this ‘pre-order’ crap?
Jan 31, 2023 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Enough. Just build your product, put it out. Done. Like it used to be. Stop toying with people

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 8
If a company can convince a bunch people to pre-order a product, and hence shift some of the production and inventory risk onto their consumers, why wouldn't they?

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 8
If a company can convince a bunch people to pre-order a product, and hence shift some of the production and inventory risk onto their consumers, why wouldn't they?
Also, pre-ordering, an indication of demand, can place a company in a better position with suppliers in securing needed materials & parts for production.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 8
Or at least give us some swag to make us feel good about wasting our money :dt880smile:

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 8
If you actually have confidence in your design and your product, you build it and they will come. If you don’t, your product is probably not offering something better that what is already out there and you are just jumping on the bandwagon to cut into the market.

I think a better idea would be to do a loaner trip where people get to hear the product and sign up if they like it. Some have done this. Or build on demand. Nectar can make you one over the weekend.

Imagine a TV producer doing a ‘pre-order’ for a Breaking Bad type series so he can hire actors and directors.

I guess it just indicates that there are way too many choices yet people still want more.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 8
Imagine a TV producer doing a ‘pre-order’ for a Breaking Bad type series so he can hire actors and directors.
It's called a pilot

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Feb 1, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 8
To be clear, I'm not saying I like the whole dynamic around pre-orders or that I'm defending the practice. I'm just pointing out that from a corporate finance and accounting perspective, it's a no-brainer if you have the option. And the evidence is abundantly clear that in the emotion-driven world of audiophile gear, they have that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back