Anyone else have a slightly crooked screen on their Sony S-Series Walkman?
May 23, 2009 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

a_recording

Member of the Trade: Lachlanlikesathing
Hi guys!

I recently bought a Sony S739 player because I wasn't particularly happy with the bass reproduction on my iPhone 3G (and the S739 sounds decidedly cleaner and punchier).

However, one thing I noticed on the unit was that the screen was aligned ever so slightly crookedly. When I went back to the store to ask about it, we opened a new player and found that it had the same screen alignment problem, and indeed an even earlier display model the store had also had the same problem.

Here's how it looks:

crooked1.jpg

And again with some badly sketched out annotations:

CROOKED2.jpg

I'm showing the player on SensMe mode because the large block of colour in the middle makes the problem particularly evident.

#1 RED CIRCLES: You can see that the distance of the screen from the top left corner is not equal to the distance in the bottom left corner.

#2 RED BARS: You can see that the orange colour block of the senseMe channel selection area is not aligned with the red bars.

There may be some lens distortion in the picture, but my own eyes can vouch for the fact that the entire display is misaligned clockwise by a few degrees.

Now, this really isn't a complaint - I love the player and a barely noticeable few degrees isn't going to kill me. I'm just curious as to whether this is just a situation with a small batch of players, or if all the players out of the Sony factory in Malaysia (I'm assuming they were all made in Malaysia) have this minor cosmetic issue.

Amusingly enough, when we looked at some of the E series players, they had the same problem (but to an even more subtle degree) but in reverse! The screens were misaligned clockwise this time.

If anyone else could have a close look at their own screens in a LCD witch hunt that would be fun!

Oh, and if I accidentally make anyone realise a flaw which they hadn't seen before, and if their subsequent obsession with said flaw makes them lose sleep and skip meals and live in constant terror of the misaligned screen on their Sony, then I really, really apologise. Maybe it would be a good excuse to buy an x1000! :3

May 23, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 9
I have the same model and have also noticed this problem/slight flaw! In the wrong mood/frame of mind, it can bug me considerably but then I just manage to put it into perspective, accept the imperfection and am cool again lol; doesn't affect SQ, functionaly or performance of unit and is simple deviance in aesthetic properness. But that's me. Was considering sending it back for repair/replacement but then, for what it is, couldn't be bothered with hassle and resigned to accept it. Interesting that there are more units out there that share this slight discrepancy and makes me suspect a batch or two might possess it.

May 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my s639's had the same exact problem.

Hmm I see... I would have expected Sony to iron out this problem if it had already existed since the S series. You say one of your s's, so you've owned others that didn't have this issue?

And btw, I'm in Australia so I'm wondering if all the dodgy players got sent there or all around the world haha

May 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I see... I would have expected Sony to iron out this problem if it had already existed since the S series. You say one of your s's, so you've owned others that didn't have this issue?

And btw, I'm in Australia so I'm wondering if all the dodgy players got sent there or all around the world haha

Yes one out of 3 I bought, they were UK models, since sony didn't see fit to release the 16 model in the states
frown.gif

May 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, and if I accidentally make anyone realise a flaw which they hadn't seen before, and if their subsequent obsession with said flaw makes them lose sleep and skip meals and live in constant terror of the misaligned screen on their Sony, then I really, really apologise. Maybe it would be a good excuse to buy an x1000! :3

pure evil
evil_smiley.gif
but what if someone notices it on their X series? that would be enough to bug you enough the bugs get under your skin; I cant think of anything more annoying than having a p[layer that is mostly screen and having this issue; imagine having a touch like this uuugghhh!!!!

May 24, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 9
I just noticed this on my S739 after reading this, but honestly the defect is so so so minute it doesn't bother me at all. Hope it doesn't bother others as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

For what it's worth there's no misalignment on my X1060 or my partner's S639.

May 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed this on my S739 after reading this, but honestly the defect is so so so minute it doesn't bother me at all. Hope it doesn't bother others as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

For what it's worth there's no misalignment on my X1060 or my partner's S639.

No misalignment on my X1060 either, Don't think it's going to be an issue on the X- series
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 9
I also can testify to the misaligned screen on my s738. I noticed it as soon as I opened the box but its a bit of a minor flaw to me.So I've completely forgotten about it till I saw this thread LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back