Anyone built Sijosae's class AB amp ?
Jun 1, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 97
I either want to build this next, or a Pimeta. It'll take me a while for either, but I want to start one.

Jun 1, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 97
Oz - pimeta will be easier because of the PCB, doing something on perfoboard isn't a very fun experience..

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
Oz - pimeta will be easier because of the PCB, doing something on perfoboard isn't a very fun experience..

edit: so MUCH fun!!

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 97
sounds much better than a CMOY, resembling a MINT, with a diamond buffer output stage. in fact, i like the diamond buffer used in the sijosae Class AB rather than the simplified diamond buffer used in the few new designs surfacing this few days.

small enough to be fitted into a MINT tin, yet the donutboard might not be favorable to everyone.
3rd-Rev-009.jpg

ClassAB-006.jpg

ClassAB-010.jpg

^ with an integrated TREAD. the circuit is smaller if should you skip the TREAD implementation.

circuit2.jpg

circuit.jpg

finished3.jpg

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 97
The components are so densely packed.. I like it!

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 97
I'll probably build one.

I already did eagle boards for power and amp, a lot less dense, but also a lot more clean, if somebody is interested, I'll post them.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozshadow
I want to know how they sound compared to a Pimeta.
I'll be using with Grados

different taste for different application. the Class AB is meant to be a portable solution. the PIMETA isn't. them 3 channels with BUF634s will suck the battery dry in a few hours.

and good luck trying to fit a PIMETA into a MINT tin. SMD versions don't count.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedoctor
different taste for different application. the Class AB is meant to be a portable solution. the PIMETA isn't. them 3 channels with BUF634s will suck the battery dry in a few hours.

and good luck trying to fit a PIMETA into a MINT tin. SMD versions don't count.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
*grin*

that grinning aside, Class AB is quite a nice way to get long battery life and that design looks nice.. Id probably say its better than a MINT, worse than PIMETA, or any of the buffered ground designs (i mean 3 channel).

But BUF634 running in low current mode will draw less than a class-AB IIRC...

Also thedoctor, how is sijosae's a diamond buffer? its just a push pull current mirror .. I fail to see how this is a diamond buffer...

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
Also thedoctor, how is sijosae's a diamond buffer? its just a push pull current mirror .. I fail to see how this is a diamond buffer...

It's not a diamond buffer. It doesn't have any current mirrors, either. Don't let the schematic confuse you. If it had current mirrors the transistors' C and E junctions would have to be reversed... The two transistors on the input side are used merely as diodes (with the C-B junction shorted) to bias the output transistors, which are set up as a simple push-pull emitter follower.

Btw, the virtual ground in this circuit is an open-loop buffer and has no opamp driving it and no negative feedback, so its output impedance is going to be a bit high. This means that the virtual ground potential will be modulated by the current it has to source and sink, and thus stereo crosstalk will be poor (built-in cross-feed!).

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 97
What if I drove the ground like the L/R channels using a uA741 and 2x220kOhm as rail divider as input for the uA741?
That would probably get a lot lower ground impedance.

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
What if I drove the ground like the L/R channels using a uA741 and 2x220kOhm as rail divider as input for the uA741?
That would probably get a lot lower ground impedance.

The rated output current for a 741 is only 25mA, ie, only 5mA greater than a TLE2426. You could use a OPA551 like amb used in his muting circuit: that's got a few hundred mA output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back