anybody like sf5 more than um2?
Nov 14, 2006 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bonethugz

500+ Head-Fier
first, i heard both. what do you guys like about the sf5 pro? i didn't a/b them but i remember i like the sf5 a little more. what is it about them? more bass? maybe. there's something i like but i can't really tell. can you guys help me with this before getting the sf5.

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Count me in for the UM2. Liked the 5pro fine, but they were way to uncomfortable and slipped out. Got UM2s and they are sooo smooth. Take to EQ almost as well, good bass and way better mids. Oh, and very comfy. In my ears they sit almost flush with my ear.

I say go UM2, but ymmv. Course, then there are the tripple-fi's.....
evil_smiley.gif

-H.

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanzo
Count me in for the UM2. Liked the 5pro fine, but they were way to uncomfortable and slipped out. Got UM2s and they are sooo smooth. Take to EQ almost as well, good bass and way better mids. Oh, and very comfy. In my ears they sit almost flush with my ear.

x2. That's exactly my impressions as well. 5pro also has a narrower soundstage, and since I listen to a lot of live music I don't enjoy them as much as the UM2.

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 12
Everything these other guys have said. I've owned both and definitely prefer the UM2. Their sound is so much more cohesive. With the super.fi the bass seemed a bit out of place, unnaturally punchy and with poor extension.

Just make sure you're using the UM2 with Shure soft flex tips or some other silicone tip. With the Complys the high end is incredibly muffled and they sound dead.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
Just make sure you're using the UM2 with Shure soft flex tips or some other silicone tip. With the Complys the high end is incredibly muffled and they sound dead.

OR cut the comply's extra foam (the foam that extends beyond the plastic tube) off with an XActo. Comfy like comply, sound sig more like Shure foamies.

Just another little thought...

-H.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanzo
OR cut the comply's extra foam (the foam that extends beyond the plastic tube) off with an XActo. Comfy like comply, sound sig more like Shure foamies.

Just another little thought...

-H.

Really? You think it's the foam at the tip that makes it do that? Very interesting. I'll probably be trying this out at some point. I knew there was a reason they included two pairs of the short ones.
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 12
I've been using my 5 Pros a lot lately... Way more than my E5 which I like better than the UM2 when I compared the two side by side. I really enjoy the 5 Pros a lot and use them almost as much as my UE-10s. Perhaps I like the 5 Pro so much because the sound sig is fairly close to the 10s which have become my reference. <shrug> Regardless, I think if you get them you'll enjoy them too.
biggrin.gif
They are very musical, and once you stop analyzing the sound you can't help but love them. When you are analyzing the sound they still do an excellent job of holding their own.

BTW, Bone Thugs sounds great on 5 Pros!
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif

If you're a basshead, don't forget to try using the Shure E2 soft flex sleeves (the black ones) on the 5Pro.

That said, the UM2 is a pretty nice piece and they are better for laying on your side if you intend to do so. I think the UM2 might have a slight bit more detail as well, but that's from memory, and it's been a long while.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
Really? You think it's the foam at the tip that makes it do that? Very interesting. I'll probably be trying this out at some point. I knew there was a reason they included two pairs of the short ones.
wink.gif

Definitely - I had some foam over the audio hole in my hears and it made the UM2s sound pitifully bad.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I've been using my 5 Pros a lot lately... Way more than my E5 which I like better than the UM2 when I compared the two side by side. I really enjoy the 5 Pros a lot and use them almost as much as my UE-10s. Perhaps I like the 5 Pro so much because the sound sig is fairly close to the 10s which have become my reference. <shrug> Regardless, I think if you get them you'll enjoy them too.
biggrin.gif
They are very musical, and once you stop analyzing the sound you can't help but love them. When you are analyzing the sound they still do an excellent job of holding their own.

BTW, Bone Thugs sounds great on 5 Pros!
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif

If you're a basshead, don't forget to try using the Shure E2 soft flex sleeves (the black ones) on the 5Pro.

That said, the UM2 is a pretty nice piece and they are better for laying on your side if you intend to do so. I think the UM2 might have a slight bit more detail as well, but that's from memory, and it's been a long while.

i thought for basshead, eb is the other/only way to go. good to hear bone thugs sound great on the 5 pros.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
i thought for basshead, eb is the other/only way to go. good to hear bone thugs sound great on the 5 pros.

Most folks (even bassheads) cant get around the bloated sound of the EB. It adds quantity and severly sacrifices quality, IMHO.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Most folks (even bassheads) cant get around the bloated sound of the EB. It adds quantity and severly sacrifices quality, IMHO.

ugh you make me want an eb again
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back