Anybody know of some free private and secure emails?
Aug 30, 2013 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello, I was wondering if someone knew of any free secure emails run by entities that aren't going to violate my privacy and do things like (for example) collect my information and share it with advertisers and/or the United States government. Ideally said email would support HTTPS (that includes content from third-party domains). I've been thinking for quite a long time now that I need to switch from Gmail to something else as, obviously, Gmail is a Google service and, obviously, (in the voice of Kathy Bates) "Google is the Devil!" I like that Gmail supports HTTPS but of course Google is notorious for stalking its users, ascertaining its users interests, and selling its users info to advertisers who then very creepily show you advertisements that match up with your interests very well. Not to mention the whole debacle of Google stockpiling your info and giving it to the government upon request (I know they have to obey these requests according to the law but they do not have to store your info).

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 28
MASK ME-Double -A along with-do not track Plenty more on the web.  And a warning to all Yahoo emailers about to be transferred to new Yahoo email website as of June 3-official news-ALL your emails will be scanned  also those that email you[commercial interests] the   implication also is that the NSA /FBI and others will track you also-officially!  . Don't believe me?? -check it out in the web. OH no! feel another attack coming on from -you know who. ---Even better=  www.comodo/freesecureemailcertificate.com  just what you are looking for.     

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
Hello, I was wondering if someone knew of any free secure emails run by entities that aren't going to violate my privacy and do things like (for example) collect my information and share it with advertisers and/or the United States government. Ideally said email would support HTTPS (that includes content from third-party domains). I've been thinking for quite a long time now that I need to switch from Gmail to something else as, obviously, Gmail is a Google service and, obviously, (in the voice of Kathy Bates) "Google is the Devil!" I like that Gmail supports HTTPS but of course Google is notorious for stalking its users, ascertaining its users interests, and selling its users info to advertisers who then very creepily show you advertisements that match up with your interests very well. Not to mention the whole debacle of Google stockpiling your info and giving it to the government upon request (I know they have to obey these requests according to the law but they do not have to store your info).

Reported to the NSA , 'cause we just can't be too safe,
and by nature I'm a rat fink wanna-be and general busy body ;')

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 28
Only way to have private/secure email is to use your own external encryption i'd imagine. Not the ones provided by the email provider.
It seems like you never have any privacy online. Someone is always watching you anonymously and keeping a profile on you.
I don't bother since I'm not too worried (yet).

BTW it's funny how yesterday I was typing into google how to find schematics for Nuka Grenades. This is for INSIDE a video game (Fallout 3). Looks kinda bad!

I'm more worried about Google than government spying really.

Annoyed how yesterday I used bing and it was keeping a log of my searches just due to being logged into Outlook/hotmail. Why would anyone want to keep a log of their searches?

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 28
  MASK ME-Double -A along with-do not track Plenty more on the web.  And a warning to all Yahoo emailers about to be transferred to new Yahoo email website as of June 3-official news-ALL your emails will be scanned  also those that email you[commercial interests] the   implication also is that the NSA /FBI and others will track you also-officially!  . Don't believe me?? -check it out in the web. OH no! feel another attack coming on from -you know who. ---Even better=  www.comodo/freesecureemailcertificate.com  just what you are looking for.     

Thank you for the suggestion but I tried MaskMe and it didn't really do what it was supposed to do for me.
http://rt.com/news/mega-secure-email-lavabit-359/

On one hand, I want to use Mega's email service when it is released to the public. On the other hand, I don't really want to because Mega is the successor to Megaupload and I'd probably be put on some government list for using it
rolleyes.gif
  Only way to have private/secure email is to use your own external encryption i'd imagine. Not the ones provided by the email provider.
It seems like you never have any privacy online. Someone is always watching you anonymously and keeping a profile on you.
I don't bother since I'm not too worried (yet).

BTW it's funny how yesterday I was typing into google how to find schematics for Nuka Grenades. This is for INSIDE a video game (Fallout 3). Looks kinda bad!

I'm more worried about Google than government spying really.

Annoyed how yesterday I used bing and it was keeping a log of my searches just due to being logged into Outlook/hotmail. Why would anyone want to keep a log of their searches?

Yeah that definitely does look pretty bad
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 28
DR 4BOB---exactly right! And I should know. Taken out by your government and mine for posting the truth for 2Yrs on a news website Its certainly one way of finding out what they can do. Take your PC right    out and disable it as well as cut you of from the web. AS somebody who is very politically minded it made me very angry but now I have mellowed as you cant beat supercomputers. I knew years ago about echelon now prism and the latest keyword---Bullrun--lights now flashing on a desk somewhere in government land.I never gave up but the website bowed to pressure and banned me.I can assure you Snowdon -another key word--is right. New Yahoo email site has had to admit it records all emails and those incoming. NSA/GCHQ[UK} have access to all encrypted emails - Back doors left open by ISPs -UK/US and that includes the new MS virus that took me out--the UNTRUSTED installer-- yes that's right --MS upgrades include restricting you on the web  and banning you - Watched it happen with Process Hacker and a download indicator .One minute access next [after upgrade] complete no internet.. This is now all public knowledge at least in the UK .where a national newspaper "spilled the beans" I also accept it now as you can do nothing about it.--Heavy  encription  on your emails????-Heard the word -BRUTE force thats  what they use massive computer to blast through to your encryption.I have already posted the same on a UK website.--Nobody disagreed. as it is the truth. So its a total waste of time unless you are a computer genius-which I am not- trying to thwart them.For the first time in my life --I give up on this one.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 28
Hi Duncan,

Indeed so many people (sheeple, actually), except the Germans who have a recent history with the Stasi, do not take the danger of government surveillance seriously. Perhaps, like Winston in Orwell's prescient novel, they now do believe 2+2=5...

The false specter of terrorism used as a cudgel by government has changed the once free and strong people of both our countries into naught but government chattel.

To see the UK, which gave the world the Magna Carta and common law, deteriorate into a semi-soft tyranny and the former New World Colony follow suit,
is to watch the slow death of liberty and freedom.

Here in the US, we were once the "Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave."  We are no longer the former because we ceased being the latter.

Good luck, Duncan. I hope you are able to live the remainder of your days unnoticed and unscathed...

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 28
Let's be clear: every government spies their own citizens. All of them.

Don't be surprised for such a thing. The only ones should worry about those actions are criminals.

I respectfully disagree. It seems to me you are basically stating that you have nothing to hide as long as you haven't done anything illegal . . . this is not true. I haven't done anything illegal and yet I do have something to hide. You want to know what that is? It's called my privacy.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 28
Privacy doesn't exist anymore, we lost it long time ago. Banks can determine whether your marriage is working or not by checking nothing but your expenses without considering places you visited, how often you traveled, how often you took time for yourself or in company, luxuries, hobbies....

Do you know how cellphones work? The carrier always knows your location no matter you're in the subway or in the highway. Actually the only way to contact you is to know your position in the first place by triangulation.

Your phone company knows when you're at home, when are you connected, and checking for irregular activities...

So, do you really want to talk about "your" privacy?

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to take preventative measures so as to regain a little privacy and hinder those who would seek to take it from us.

In the cable tv world, your cable tv box can collect the channels that you watch, at what time and day. From that information they can tell your sex, age and your behavior.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not going to have cable tv. Where I am living right now we have it but personally I think it's stupid anyway so I don't hardly use it. It shouldn't be too hard to just completely stop watching tv whatsoever.

EDIT: @squallkiercosa: I forgot to mention that I don't even own a cell phone so the part of your post where you talk all about how cell phones work doesn't apply to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back