Anybody Ever Attend Indiana U Bloomington for Music?
Jan 15, 2007 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
This year, I am finishing up my degree at NYU, so now I'm really beginning to consider later life. As many may know, the recorded music industry is moving out of big cities and more into independent towns and the like. This is what originally led me to wanting to move to Bloomington, Indiana. At least for a couple of years, I'd like to focus on finding talent and recording them and promoting them in their local areas, and then bringing them to NYC (in addition to performing my more ambitious works where it won't be as expensive to do as in the city). But then I remembered the Jacobs School of Music at IU, and I am now thinking about obtaining an education in composition and recording again at the graduate level.

It's not nearly as prestigious, most likely, as NYU, but I need to know a couple of basic things about the university. I will not be living on campus obviously, but I still would like to know if any level of intellectualism or scholarly behavior is found among the student body? Are the music students mostly stuck within the classical field or are they innovating as well? And, of course, will a New York City dweller be able to find a similar level of acceptance, uniqueness, artistry, and diversity in Bloomington?

If anybody who attended Indiana U or lived in Bloomington could comment, I'd be greatly appreciative! I am looking for as many different angles and opinions as possible, so it's all very helpful.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jan 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Oops. Could a kind moderator move this to the member's lounge?
biggrin.gif
Thanks..

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Indiana has a very famous music department that is afaik at the very least as prestigious as NYU, especially for musical composition. I'm sure there are others who can attest to the excellence of the school as well. I don't know how it stands for rock or pop, but for classical it's really top drawer.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 6
My degree at NYU is not in the music school, but at Tisch school of the arts. While my focus is much more in jazz, classical, and experimental music, I wanted to have background and training in the pop music field as well. Now I have a company and career established and I'd like to make that stronger, as well as my ability to maintain it. That's why I was thinking about Bloomington, and thus Jacobs School of Music.

Thanks for the insights, Bunnyears.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The music department at Indiana is very competitive, so good luck.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
I have to fly out to Indianapolis and drive over there in a couple of weeks - they reviewed my application and said I need to come in for an interview. I just got the same word from Northeastern University as well. Oy-sauce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back