Anybody else bothered by AdLinks on Head-Fi?
Jul 13, 2005 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
Just discovered today: Certain keywords in posts, such as Preamp, Sony, Sennheiser, Cable, Audio, Speakers, etc., now are underlined by both a solid and an interrupted line and linked to a sort of bubble advertisement appearing as soon as you point your mouse pointer on it. I'm very much bothered about this kind of commercialization of Head-Fi. It really devaluates the posts -- comparable to interrupting commercials in TV movies.

peacesign.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 22
Since this is the third thread in a short while about it I think that others are bothered by it. I know I'm not too happy about it if this turns out to be a neccessity. I have a bad habbit to go over the text with my mouse (bit dyslectic) and this is gonna be annoying...

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 22
and is it just me or is head-fi moving slower now?
eek.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 22
Cause it's a small price to pay to enjoy such site as Head-Fi for free considering that it probably takes (for Jude?) quite an amount of money, resources and time to run it.

If it seriously botheres you then why not to go ahead and create your own forum site free of ads?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silfer
Since this is the third thread in a short while about it I think that others are bothered by it.

Funny, I did a search with the keyword «AdLink» with no result before posting the thread. Actually I wanted to post it in the Member's Lounge, but obviously made a mistake.

I'm seriously considering leaving Head-Fi if it goes on like this.

peacesign.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 22
It's not that bad. I usually see these type of underline links in orange/red/blue on some other sites. Better than having the unthinkable happen.

I'd like to take this moment to say that for less than a nickel a day, anyone can help contribute to head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by albau
Cause it's a small price to pay to enjoy such site as Head-Fi for free considering that it probably takes (for Jude?) quite an amount of money, resources and time to run it.

If it seriously botheres you then why not to go ahead and create your own forum site free of ads?
smily_headphones1.gif

Eh the thing is, I go to another forum with more members then head fi and more active members too. The admin there is unemployed ATM, but even then there are no ads like this. I'm pretty sure he gets little or no donations, definitely not on the level of head-fi.

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Funny, I did a search with the keyword «AdLink» with no result before posting the thread. Actually I wanted to post it in the Member's Lounge, but obviously made a mistake.

I'm seriously considering leaving Head-Fi if it goes on like this.

peacesign.gif

Bottom of this page and this thread.

EDIT: One more, here.

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by albau

smily_headphones1.gif

First it was donate to head-fi, the site needs the money to run. Then the group buy process was strangled, because the site needs money to run. Now, we need links WITHIN posts, because the site needs money to run.

I don't understand posts like yours that criticize a reasonable standpoint with a flippant "create your own site" answer, or those that act like this site is run out of pure love and any questioning of the increasing business influence is sacrilege.

All that said, I understand both the donation option and group buy rules, given that this is more and more as much a business as hobby site (and it does cost time/money to run a site like this). It seems to me that links within people's posts is going too far though (assuming they are head-fi driven, which isn't clear to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back