Anybody compare Westone UM2 & Future Sonics EM3?
Nov 8, 2005 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

3lusiv3

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anybody compared Westone UM2 & Future Sonics EM3? I get the impression that these sound quite similar? I wouldn't compare them by price alone because they use different technology.

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 14
Why would you assume they sound similar if they use different technology? Shure E5c and Westone UM2 share a similar sound signature. Shure contracted Westone to design the Shure E5. If nobody answered your original question, don't "assume" it means they sound similar. Assume that not many head-fier's have experience with FutureSonics EM3. We'd all appreciate your take on them, though. Out of curiosity, I went to the Future Sonics web site and checked out the specs. UM2's are dual driver IEM's whereas the EM3 are not. I think it's pretty safe to say that a single driver IEM is not going to sound anything like a dual driver IEM.

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
UM2's are dual driver IEM's whereas the EM3 are not. I think it's pretty safe to say that a single driver IEM is not going to sound anything like a dual driver IEM.

UM2's are dual driver to overcome problems with the design, same with the superfi pro's. I have read everything I can about both these IEM's and I get the impression that the EM3's are just as good but heaps cheaper.

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
UM2's are dual driver to overcome problems with the design, same with the superfi pro's. I have read everything I can about both these IEM's and I get the impression that the EM3's are just as good but heaps cheaper.

That sounds interesting, could you post an url for the relevant thread or threads?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Really? I guess then according to that rationale UE-10pro's have triple drivers because of a design problem, too? When you get the impression that they are just as good after having actually used both sets of headphones, then maybe your hare-brained theory would actually have merit. No offense, but they look like an imitation of Shure E1's, and the price is about the equivalent($179.99 for 2 pairs). Checking out the specs, this theory makes a lot more sense than does yours.

Nov 9, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 14
I own both the UM2's and the EM3's. Both are good monitors. Their design approach is totally different. The EM3 uses a dynamic driver, much like a small speaker, whereas the UM2 uses an armature-type driver. As the armature driver moves a lesser volume of air, bass response suffers, so design parameters dictate multiple drivers. The dynamic type driver usually doesn't need multiple drivers, although a few "hybrids" are in the product line of several manufacturers.

Neither type of design can be called "best", as great sound is possible from both types. One needs to listen, and determine what their personal preference is from both a sonic and cost standpoint.

Please don't badmouth one type of construction over another without auditioning both. I do believe the cost of manufacturing the drivers is probably less for the dynamic type, resulting in a retail price that is somewhat less expensive for comparable sound.

The dynamic transducers are noted for their bass performance, delivering low frequency sound that you can almost feel, whereas the armature drivers are at their best delivering accurate mid and high frequency sound.

Some listeners favor one sound over another just because of the type of music that they prefer.

Besides the sonic differences, fit and appearance are also considerations that need to be considered prior to purchase. I think most Ipod devotees would not think highly of the color and appearance of the EM3, but instead would favor a more stylish white device.

Nov 9, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 14
HiFlight, that exactly what I’m saying.

The price difference is probably due to driver design. The Westones and UE’s have multiple drivers because the design dictates that they need to have more drivers to make up for the fact that the design doesn’t provide a full frequency spectrum.

I started to get interested in the xtrememac FS1, based on the EM3, and realised that they are cheaper than armature driver designs but not necessarily worse. So now I’m thinking, why should I buy the UM2 if the EM3 or xtrememac FS1 are so much cheaper.

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 14
I can't believe everyone here at head-fi is jumping on the super fi and westone bandwagon and not considering the the EM3 and xtrememac FS1. People seem to go for the more expensive IEM's assuming that they are better, but are they?

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 14
OK, maybe I'll get the UM2's, but $400 Australian dollars is a big purchase for me.

Edit:
I wasn't going to post this but I want to finalise this thread so that anybody doing a search can see an ending.

Thanks very, very much to everyone that has responded. After extensive research I have ordered the UE super.fi 5EB (Black) from earphonesolutions.
basshead.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

OK, maybe I'll get the UM2's, but $400 Australian dollars is a big purchase for me.

If price is an issue, why not try the EM3 first @ $99. If they're not suitable you can probably sell them at a minor loss and move up to the UM2.

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Why would you go for UM2's? Are you assuming that they are better? Just kidding. One IEM being better than another is always a matter of personal taste anyway. I think you should give EM3 a shot, they might be to your liking...Besides, at least you'd satisy your curiosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back